What kind of gamer are you?

What kind of gamer r u?(mutiple choice enabled)

• Total voters

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Bleh, you forgot strategy. Anyways, I like games where I'm facing equally intelligent opponents on a fair ground. Whether it's chess, where black and white have an equal number of units to games like Soul Calibur, it doesn't have to be turn based or real-time. These games often have the GREATEST replay value and most depth of any game. They also must have a fairly easy learning curve, so it's easy to jump into. Strategy isn't about reflexes, but the actual choices you make, which rules out FPS games like Counter Strike.

Some examples:

- Starcraft
- Warcraft 3
- Soul Calibur 2
- Chess

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I prefer Strategy games, I like puzzle games, and many action/adventure games. I will dabble in the unnamed art of FPS and action-RPG sometimes. I loath anything that is a straight RPG, becuase it is always boring as hell. I see no point in sports games, when you can go out AND PLAY IT. Fighting games I also dispise, as there is always a cheap character everyone picks, and the game is reduced to nothing but memorizing combos, combo breaks, etc.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
RPG guy. Or I used to be. I don't have the patience to play through a 80hour game anymore.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
How in the living hell is Soul Callibur a strategy game?

RPG > all. It's a pitty that all of the RPGs for XBOX suck :(

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
jd-inflames said:
How in the living hell is Soul Callibur a strategy game?

RPG > all. It's a pitty that all of the RPGs for XBOX suck :(
Ah, you don't see strategy at all? What a shame. Here are some examples.

Vertical attacks beat horizontal attacks. Horizontal attacks beat sidestepping players. Sidestepping beats vertical attacks. This is probably the most basic counter system.

Blocking nullifies damage. Grabs can go through blocks. Fast attacks will cancel attacks.

Low attacks beat high blocks. High attacks beat middle blocks. Middle attacks beat low blocks.

It's just the same as how lurkers beat marines which beat scouts which beat lurkers (just because they can't attack air). It's like a rock-paper-scissor sort of thing, except on a larger scale.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Then by that same route, you could say that almost any fighting game is a Strategy game. Which isn't true.

Is there some strategy involved? Of course. However, there is strategy involved in nearly every game. So are all of those games Strat now?

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
iMike said:
Then by that same route, you could say that almost any fighting game is a Strategy game. Which isn't true.

Is there some strategy involved? Of course. However, there is strategy involved in nearly every game. So are all of those games Strat now?
I'd say strategy is giving the player choices to do an assignment. You might have only a few such as sniping from far away, or stealthy approaching them in a FPS like 007. In SC, you have nearly 100 ways to approach a situation thanks to a beefed move list. What seperates strategy from just moves is what each move does differently.

In SC2's case, some moves attack vertically, others do it fast or slowly. You have to consider which move is the best for the situation. Finally, a strategy game has to have nearly the same amount of equipment for each side, such as black and white pieces same in number, in order for the game to be based on tactics. In RPGs, a level 40 Mage is obviously going to beat a level 3 Warrior, despite his counter. Strategy is not about statistics. Statistics predict who will win.

Strategy is about making the decisions more than anything. Other games, like CS, that I have mentioned, have the player focusing on perfecting one skill such as aiming in shooters, driving in racers, or jumping in Mario, to be a strategy game. Strategy games aren't about how you do something, but whether you actually do it or not.

The way Bobby Fisher moves a pawn is the same way I move a pawn. That's my point. It's about choosing the right thing to do, from a pool of choices, rather than perfecting a skill like aiming.

Kamikaze

Respected Member
Reaction score
rpg & stategy

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Revelade said:
I'd say strategy is giving the player choices to do an assignment. You might have only a few such as sniping from far away, or stealthy approaching them in a FPS like 007. In SC, you have nearly 100 ways to approach a situation thanks to a beefed move list. What seperates strategy from just moves is what each move does differently.

In SC2's case, some moves attack vertically, others do it fast or slowly. You have to consider which move is the best for the situation. Finally, a strategy game has to have nearly the same amount of equipment for each side, such as black and white pieces same in number, in order for the game to be based on tactics. In RPGs, a level 40 Mage is obviously going to beat a level 3 Warrior, despite his counter. Strategy is not about statistics. Statistics predict who will win.

Strategy is about making the decisions more than anything. Other games, like CS, that I have mentioned, have the player focusing on perfecting one skill such as aiming in shooters, driving in racers, or jumping in Mario, to be a strategy game. Strategy games aren't about how you do something, but whether you actually do it or not.

The way Bobby Fisher moves a pawn is the same way I move a pawn. That's my point. It's about choosing the right thing to do, from a pool of choices, rather than perfecting a skill like aiming.

Thats nice, but Soul Caliber is still far from anythign a strategy game requires.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
It's funny, because I've beaten people at all the SC games and I bearly know how to play the games. Just finding one move that can be exploited or just pressing random buttons. How is that strategy? You cannot defend against someone who has no idea what they're doing.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Point aside, calling SC2 a strategy game demeans its anscesters like the MK series and all of those other games that made fighting games so great. I'm sorry, but you aren't going to prove this to any of us, because we know an arcade style fighting game when we see one. Just because you have choices and strategy doesn't mean a thing. Sure you have stronger attacks vs faster ones or vertical, but lets look at MK beings I brought it up. What do you do when you see someone is about to uppercut, you duck of course. Is that strategy? Yes, but that doesn't overweigh the fighting element that puts the fun in the game. In SC2 you can either block or counter-attack...what's the difference?

freak on a leash

Vresdesbyrd
Reaction score
I call games like Starcraft and chess strategy.

Soul Calibur is just a plain and simple action game, no matter what you want to call it by another name just because you are a fanboy of that particular game.

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Action Adventure games are my new favs.

Carbon

Battle God
Reaction score
Biske said:
Action Adventure games are my new favs.
i am enjoying action/adventure very much right now..i just went out and bought God of War after renting it 4 times...i can't seem to get enough of this game.

_JaKE

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
yes i like act/adven too, ecspecially prince of persia

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Sigh, you guys need to stop labeling games you never played as strategy.

In Street Fighter games, there is strategy, but it is harder to find. Look at this: whenever you see someone in the air, you might want to dragon uppercut him. Enemy in air = uppercut. That's a strategy you might want to use. However, this is limited because the move is only owned by a couple fighters, so it doesn't apply to all.

In SC2, you have again, a rock-paper-scissor countering system that is FULLY fleshed out. Perhaps you want to make him defensive; you would do a series of pokes followed with a grab.

Believe it or not, there is strategy to the game. Perhaps if you played it, you would realize that each of the 100 moves each character has, HAS a unique purpose and property, making it situational only at certain times.

If you want to compare the MK series, throw some examples out here. I already threw 3 examples of how SC2 has strategy.