Things that shouldn't be in Diablo 3

Orcryst

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
orcryst.blogspot.com
Warning. This is a large volume of reading, if you can't tell already.

Collecting your corpse.
Having to collect your body when you die is completely pointless and annoying. It's extraneous, why can't you simply respawn? It would eliminate NK entirely, and you wouldn't have to start over if monsters surrounded your body.

The inventory split screen
2.-Moving the screen and cutting it in half wouldn't be necessary if they could just make the inventory semi transparent, or at least give the option.

Any bug that makes noobs confused
Again and again, there's a noob who just can't let go and accept he's beaten, so he'll use a copout and call you a hacker. This game is almost 10 years old. People still think that cop out works.

Paladins... make them less powerful, por favor.
Smite is unblockable. What?! That doesn't even make sense. This isn't even a bug, they designed it that way.

Useless skills. No more of these.
Grim ward? Shield Throw would be nice. Find a potion?! When you need a potion and don't have any left, you're most likely going to be low on mana and lucky to find a dead body that isn't your own. This skill is completely retarded. I'm thinking of more, but they're all barbarian skills. Molten Boulder was pretty useless.

Hammerdins
I never liked hammerdins. Not one aspect of using or playing them is appealing. Too overpowered to give a damn about.

You're the one dueling, not your mercenary
If you have a build that relies on a mercenary to fight or aid you, you shouldn't be dueling. I'll tell you why, because more often than not, people complain about having to revive them- sometimes they even go back into town and see nothing wrong with it. Mercenaries should be left in town when you duel.

Use the numpad, see how many listen.
There should be signals instead of voice commands. Something should show up on the map. This doesn't bother me very much but it's just not necessary.

...and most of all...

3-D
I don't care what you CGI fans are thinking. Next generation my ass. In-game, Blizzard's 2-D looks more realistic than its 3-D. I also hear people saying WoW has replaced Diablo 3 and taken its thunder.

Let me explain something. WoW will never ever EVER EVER be Diablo. It focused too much on how much crap they could put on one costume and not enough on the "does this look ****ing ridiculous" department. It's not original, it's not creative and definitely not worth the money.

Let Diablo keep its DonkeyKongCountry/Oddworld design.

"Epic" cliché storyline
The expansion tried to be lord of the rings. They pushed it with the music. ..and characters. I never liked 'epic tales' because all that really means is explosions and mindless dreck but in a fantasy setting.

Diablo started as being calm and mysterious. Just a dirty concept, explicit content and storyline... even subtle subtext. Not fighting in some glorified war with too much **** going on. I also think blizzard screwed up by not spending a whole lot of time on deciding what the World Stone specifically does. All we know is that some force is weakened now and the world is going to change. Oh noooooes. o_O
Way to go guys, that's SURELY not an opening for you guys to pull something out of your ass THIS time.

I can smell it now... "another dimension". For the last time, for all you science fiction fans, dimensions aren't places to be ; they are forms of measurement.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Regardless of what you think, there is no way Blizzard will make Diablo 3 with terrible, sub-par and outdated graphics. You can bet your bottom dollar that it'll be 3D.

WoW was never about your costume. It was about team playing, raiding, partying, PvP'ing and questing. If WoW isn't original then Diablo isn't either. Of course WoW stole ideas from other MMO's (But then proceeded to take the best parts of all of them and make a kickass MMO), but so did Diablo (Baldur's Gate much?).

Why not direct all your pent-up hate towards something other than WoW? Sounds like you either can't afford to play it, or you're too stubborn to even give it a try.

Orcryst

Reaction score
Website
orcryst.blogspot.com
Regardless of what you think, there is no way Blizzard will make Diablo 3 with terrible, sub-par and outdated graphics. You can bet your bottom dollar that it'll be 3D.

WoW was never about your costume. It was about team playing, raiding, partying, PvP'ing and questing. If WoW isn't original then Diablo isn't either. Of course WoW stole ideas from other MMO's (But then proceeded to take the best parts of all of them and make a kickass MMO), but so did Diablo (Baldur's Gate much?).

Why not direct all your pent-up hate towards something other than WoW? Sounds like you either can't afford to play it, or you're too stubborn to even give it a try.
WoW fan eh? I should assume so since that's the only thing you addressed out of my entire post. Let me rephrase. I don't hate WoW, but I don't like it either. WoW is nothing like Diablo and I say that because I HAVE played it. 2-D Graphics aren't sub-par, as a matter of fact, you could probably get WoW graphics on an N64, and you're talking to me about sub-par?

3-D doesn't always mean it's going to look better, and that's been proven many many times with games like Street Fighter, KOF and Contra. So you know what? I'm not betting a dime. CG ruined countless 2-D games, the only one I can think of in which it improved is Doom 3, but even then it took over a decade and felt nothing like the other Dooms.

I've also played Baldurs gate, and the only similarities it had was MP-HP, and magically enhanced items that used words like "serrated". Baldur's gate game out in 1998 and Diablo came out in 1996 so there's no way they ripped off Baldurs Gate. Diablo's concept was original-not the first point and click game, but at the time, there weren't stories like that. Come to think of it, there still aren't.

I also find it idiotic that you would say "you can't possibly dislike such a great game, you're probably poor or you've never played it before!" We don't all have to enjoy the same game you do. I don't play it because I'm not dumb enough to pay for a game I don't play. In fact, I'm against paying continuously for any game I already bought. What kind of **** is that? No way. Not doing that. No ****ing way. Is that a crime?

If they make a 3-D aspect of diablo*, thats fine. Just no CG in the gameplay, please.

*By this I mean something like the MAME version of Killer Instinct. That game was made in '94 and still runs choppy on most machines today.

I don't want this thread to turn into an argument about should diablo 3 be in 3-D, because that argument has been done over and over, and seeing as we're barely able to get Halo 2 on Vista, that shouldn't happen until the technology is there to make it look cool enough.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
if they do make diablo 3, it will probly have whole new characters with new skills and possibly new game play.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
neutral arguments here:

1. i agree that you shouldnt pay monthly for a game you already bought.
2. corpse collecting after death is a necessity in most any game, maybe not the fact that you can die when trying to retrieve your corpse, but how wow does it for instance, makes sence. itd be a cheap trick to beat quests, you could blaze in, grab the quest item, die, respawn, and move on without a second thought.
3. you mentioned multiple things from D2, ill bet my middle testicle that smiters and hammerdins and barbarian skills will not be the same.
4. mercs staying in town when dueling? thatd be nearly impossible, as a game is not set as "PVP game" or "PVM" game, its all about what you decide to do inside it, and if you were to say the merc walks to town when someone hostiles you, thatd be horrible, some PVM characters (alot actually) can get into alot of trouble if the merc dies, and if you were to get hostiled while doign something, your merc runs off, your in some deep **** if you were in the middle of something.
5. CG means Computer Generated, meaning every game has a form of CG. i do however agree about the 2d/3d things, it wouldnt feel like diablo IMO if it went 3d
6:
di·men·sion /dɪˈmɛnʃən, daɪ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-men-shuhn, dahy-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Mathematics.
a. a property of space; extension in a given direction: A straight line has one dimension, a parallelogram has two dimensions, and a parallelepiped has three dimensions.
b. the generalization of this property to spaces with curvilinear extension, as the surface of a sphere.
c. the generalization of this property to vector spaces and to Hilbert space.
d. the generalization of this property to fractals, which can have dimensions that are noninteger real numbers.
e. extension in time: Space-time has three dimensions of space and one of time.
2. Usually, dimensions.
a. measurement in length, width, and thickness.
b. scope; importance: the dimensions of a problem.
3. unit (def. 6).
4. magnitude; size: Matter has dimension.
5. Topology.
a. a magnitude that, independently or in conjunction with other such magnitudes, serves to define the location of an element within a given set, as of a point on a line, an object in a space, or an event in space-time.
b. the number of elements in a finite basis of a given vector space.
6. Physics. any of a set of basic kinds of quantity, as mass, length, and time, in terms of which all other kinds of quantity can be expressed; usually denoted by capital letters, with appropriate exponents, placed in brackets: The dimensions of velocity are [LT−1]. Compare dimensional analysis.
7. dimensions, Informal. the measurements of a woman's bust, waist, and hips, in that order: The chorus girl's dimensions were 38-24-36.
8. dimension lumber.
–verb (used with object)
9. to shape or fashion to the desired dimensions: Dimension the shelves so that they fit securely into the cabinet.
10. to indicate the dimensions of an item, area, etc., on (a sketch or drawing).
yes its a measurement, its also points in time, also, diablo2 already has another dimension, Arcane Sanctuary?

Orcryst

Reaction score
Website
orcryst.blogspot.com
corpse collecting after death is a necessity in most any game, maybe not the fact that you can die when trying to retrieve your corpse, but how wow does it for instance, makes sence. itd be a cheap trick to beat quests, you could blaze in, grab the quest item, die, respawn, and move on without a second thought.
Dude? That would be a good thing. The game would be less irritating. Besides, all you have to do is rejoin if that happens anyway so it's completely pointless. I certainly prefer moving on after getting an item over getting NKed and having to rejoin, which doesn't work sometimes if the games full or if you've done it too many times.

you mentioned multiple things from D2, ill bet my middle testicle that smiters and hammerdins and barbarian skills will not be the same.
They won't all be different either. I just gave those skills as examples of what not to do. I'm sure they'd try to pull something like a "get mana" spell. I'm seriously not putting that past them.

mercs staying in town when dueling? thatd be nearly impossible, as a game is not set as "PVP game" or "PVM" game, its all about what you decide to do inside it, and if you were to say the merc walks to town when someone hostiles you, thatd be horrible, some PVM characters (alot actually) can get into alot of trouble if the merc dies, and if you were to get hostiled while doign something, your merc runs off, your in some deep **** if you were in the middle of something.
Simple solution to this one. While you're creating the game, there could be an option of whether you want it to be an arena or a quest game.

yes its a measurement, its also points in time, also, diablo2 already has another dimension, Arcane Sanctuary?
Not to be a smart ass, but Arcane Sancuary is a plane, not a dimension. A plane is where dimensions can be held up.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yes its irritating to retrieve a corpse, but if that were to happen, it would make the game less strategic, you wouldn tbe so careful playing through the game, youd just run n gun to the item like gauntlet mode in nezmod

as for the arena/quest modes, i would -hate- that, why? because part of the entire fun of hte game for me was the fun BS games wher eyou dsit back and have fun, MF, duel, do a little of everything all in one game. arugments start? the baal game turns into a bloodbath, ive always thought those moments were neat, itd destroy the feeling imo

Orcryst

Reaction score
Website
orcryst.blogspot.com
as for the arena/quest modes, i would -hate- that, why? because part of the entire fun of hte game for me was the fun BS games wher eyou dsit back and have fun, MF, duel, do a little of everything all in one game. arugments start? the baal game turns into a bloodbath, ive always thought those moments were neat, itd destroy the feeling imo
Here's where I differ yet again... completely. When I'm trying to level in a Baal or Chaos Run and it stops because someone decided to be a douche, I have to find another game that isn't full before I get there. That's obnoxious, and if we had the arena/quest switch people would think twice about pulling stupid crap like that. I don't want a BS game if I have **** to do. I want to know that it's gonna be a BS game when I go in.

It would also prevent a good amount of PKing, and if you're into that I hope that feeling dies painfully, because that's for ****socks.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
you could probably get WoW graphics on an N64, and you're talking to me about sub-par?
You can't be serious. I understand what you're getting at with WoW visuals not being that flashy but Blizzard only did that so people with older machines could still play.

felt nothing like the other Dooms.
What? It didn't feel tedious, long and downright boring?

I also find it idiotic that you would say "you can't possibly dislike such a great game, you're probably poor or you've never played it before!"
I didn't say you had to like it, but you're just like every other hater out there.

Orcryst

Reaction score
Website
orcryst.blogspot.com
What? It didn't feel tedious, long and downright boring?

I didn't say you had to like it, but you're just like every other hater out there.
Sorry padre, but compared to repetitive games like Starcraft, Doom was god.

Fun Fact.
Blowing demons to **** > Collecting minerals in the hope of maybe seeing pint sized robots and aliens blow up.

How exactly am I like every other hater out there? By having my reasons why I don't like it? Stop pulling things out of your rear end. You're the one jumping to retarded conclusions while accusing me of the same with no evidence and the only incentive for you to do so is because I said it isn't my thing and ultimately nothing like diablo, which was what I was emphasizing. Everything else you're bringing up is irrelevant to begin with, so refuting this BS isn't the point.

Can we at least agree that WoW =/= Diablo? That's what my post was getting at. The rest is just subjective, circular banter that will never get resolved.

sunjester

Member!
Reaction score
Website
mrsunjester.info

BTW diablo was release before that ****ty baulders gate game.

but back to the topic at hand...

1. Collecting your corpse.
necessary to keep the noobs playing. us "experienced" players know how NOT to die, and if we do, we use tp's like a smart person would

2. The inventory split screen
you probably shouldnt be pawnign over your **** in the inv if your trying to kill 30 monsters. but it would be nice.

3. Any bug that makes noobs confused
i dont think you used that word right, cop out. lol and what does that have to do with bugs and confusing noobs? all bugs should be reported, if you dont report a bug and keep using it, no matter what it does, you can bet your ass someone is logging those packets and can see some weird **** and will catch on. gg warden.

4. Paladins... make them less powerful, por favor.
ive killed and seen many pallys die TRYING to smite. unblockable MAYBE, but harmless with the right gear.

5. Useless skills. No more of these.
finding potions, dude what about rejuvs? see any growing out of akaras ass? BTW ive seen high lvl find items pop out 7%smfc's it pwns if you dump all your skills there. excellent for cows.

6. Hammerdins
never made one, i kinda agree, but ****, its the second most popular choice on BNET

7. You're the one dueling, not your mercenary
first and foremost, dueling is stupid. you dont get anything out of it and you dont lose anything, wow an ear with your name on it? lame. dueling period in d2 is ****in lame, stop doing it.

8. Use the numpad, see how many listen.
best thing youve ever said. almost makes up for your "useless skills" point lol. i think it should also show up on the map but briefly, very breifly.

9.3-D
i love diablo, been playing it since it released waaaaay back in the day. ('96) and hate to say it but yes WoW did kill diablo 3. if wow wasnt so big they would be working on diablo 3. there are many signs that they "want to be" working on it but they also just bought more wow servers. :( **** wow. i didnt like it back in the day and i dont like it now.

10. "Epic" cliché storyline
nobody cares about the story. they just want a game and special effects. look at the movie 300. story blows balls, but since it was all in cg people ate it up.

(hope they are all counted for lmao, and btw i love diablo's 2d axis.)

Orcryst

Reaction score
Website
orcryst.blogspot.com
necessary to keep the noobs playing. us "experienced" players know how NOT to die, and if we do, we use tp's like a smart person would
That aside, it's unnecessary. "Keep the noobs playing"? Screw that. No corpses.

you probably shouldnt be pawnign over your **** in the inv if your trying to kill 30 monsters. but it would be nice.
I just don't like that it bumps the screen.

i dont think you used that word right, cop out. lol and what does that have to do with bugs and confusing noobs? all bugs should be reported, if you dont report a bug and keep using it, no matter what it does, you can bet your ass someone is logging those packets and can see some weird **** and will catch on. gg warden.
I'm talking about idiots giving me **** about using str charms in LLD. Personally I don't give a rats ass if you don't like it, many of us do and are tired of explaining to these retards why it looks like we're not wearing armor.

finding potions, dude what about rejuvs? see any growing out of akaras ass? BTW ive seen high lvl find items pop out 7%smfc's it pwns if you dump all your skills there. excellent for cows.
I've never needed to use potion find to get rejuvs or to cow run. That's what cube formulas are for. I'm not spending a single point into that poor excuse for a skill.

never made one, i kinda agree, but ****, its the second most popular choice on BNET
Which makes it especially more annoying. I'd be happy to see them mad.

first and foremost, dueling is stupid. you dont get anything out of it and you dont lose anything, wow an ear with your name on it? lame. dueling period in d2 is ****in lame, stop doing it.
Let me get this straight. Cow runs are awesome but dueling is lame? What else is there? Uber runs? What's the point if you can't even parallel its rewards with other players?
LLD and MLD are the most entertaining things in the game, mainly because you never know what people can manage under a certain level. Everything else is repetitive.

nobody cares about the story. they just want a game and special effects. look at the movie 300. story blows balls, but since it was all in cg people ate it up.
That "This Is Sparta!!!11" meme made me retch and I'm glad I never paid for that cinematic holocaust. There are still some of us who don't live in Dumbf*ckustan.
The story doesn't have to be flawlessly crafted, but it would be nice if they at least made it feel like Diablo instead of another Eragon, Beowulf, LoTR or Harry Potter.

..and if the trailer has Bullet Time... I'm returning the CD.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Sorry padre, but compared to repetitive games like Starcraft, Doom was god.

Fun Fact.
Blowing demons to **** > Collecting minerals in the hope of maybe seeing pint sized robots and aliens blow up.
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

How exactly am I like every other hater out there?
Because you don't want to pay for it so you come across like you hate the game because it costs money.

Orcryst

Reaction score
Website
orcryst.blogspot.com
Because you don't want to pay for it so you come across like you hate the game because it costs money.
Youre right, it couldn't possibly be because I don't want to pay monthly for any game at all.

I wouldn't have a problem if there WoW was just an on server game downloadable by anybody and you just have to pay a monthly fee (like Silkroad, except Silkroad is totally free) but you have to buy the game AND pay monthly to even play it, it has to be online, no offline alternative.

Moving on, you only get to say "Well thats your opinion" if you haven't said "Well didn't Doom seem tedious and totally boring to you?" as if that opinion had to apply to everyone. You don't get that card anymore, sorry.

If keying in codes and shooting at **** in Doom is tedious, so is collecting mineral or building exp points just so your able to advance.

The knife cuts both ways.

Orcryst

Reaction score
Website
orcryst.blogspot.com
Doom is about as linear as a line on a page, Starcraft is not.
In other words, Doom gets somewhere and Starcraft is a circle. You can see it either way. Move on.

So by your logic, any game is tedious. Good one.
No. Any game can seem tedious. This isn't the point. Whether you thought it was boring or not is completely irrelevant. Your ability to stay on topic needs work.

When I originally mentioned Doom, I said it was unrecognizable as a Doom game, but I liked it. Then you reply with "So it didn't seem tedious and boring?"

Seriously, come back when you have a refutation instead of just tapdancing around the subject.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
In other words, Doom gets somewhere and Starcraft is a circle. You can see it either way. Move on.
No, in other words, Doom has nothing on Starcraft.

Your ability to stay on topic needs work.
Yeah because i give two hoots about the original subject.

When I originally mentioned Doom, I said it was unrecognizable as a Doom game, but I liked it. Then you reply with "So it didn't seem tedious and boring?"
No. You came across as if the developers did something wrong with Doom 3 because it didn't feel like original Doom.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Collecting your corpse.
Dying in general and having to collect your corpse in particular, is one of the dangerous, irritating and annoying things that made D2 so addictive. Collecting your body is not pointless when you are leveling and the danger to lose everything is one of the most powerful factors of D2's popularity.

Other than the above and your opinion on the graphics, I agree with most of your points, mr. Orcryst. But you are a bit racist against the poor Palladins:D