The Abortion Thread (now with nifty rules!)

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
lizardbreath said:
But you see I also personally believe that an abortion is none of the governments business; they shouldn't be regulating it nor should they pass laws stating it should be permanently banned. I believe it is a women's right to choose whether or not she has an abortion and nobody else's.
No, it is the woman's "right" to choose to have sex, to create a human being. After that, it is the government's responsibility to protect human beings within it's borders. It is fully the government's "business" to protect human life from harm, especially when that human life cannot even speak for itself.

-No, I am saying that it is a women's choice to decide whether or not she is going to go through with a pregnancy(I mean 9 month period) or not.
No, it is the woman's choice to decide whether or not she is going to get pregnant. After that, it is her responsibility (and the government's to see that she does) to protect the life she has created, by either raising it or giving it up for adoption.

-Then the women would be charged with murder for killing a born baby. Wanna try a scenario that is in regards to the topic next time?
You contradict yourself at every turn. So, you don't agree with murdering a deformed baby moments after it's been born, since it has suddenly become human, but are fine with it 2 months prior? Sorry, bucko, but it's the same deformed baby; the same human being.

-There is a huge difference to me. Inside a womb the baby is still living off of it's mother. Outside it has legal documentation which protects it. Though I personally believe that a women should decide to have an abortion in the first trimester.
Legal documentation has NOTHING to do with anything.

You see a "huge" difference? Tell me, is a baby 5 minutes after birth any more self-reliant than a baby 5 minutes before birth, and is that baby any more than one who is to be born in 3 months? Tell me, how much more able is a 6 month toddler able to live on its own? How much longer would it last on its own? I fail to understand your logic.

-You aren't getting my argument are you?
I don't think anyone is, seeing that it doesn't make any sense.

_Ace

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well, well, you are all debating on laws, US Constitution and the fact that a fetus is or isn't a human being... Let's see:
1) Why is abortion done? Because:
a) The baby would have a bad life.
b) The baby would cause his parents to have a bad life.
c) Nobody can mantain it.
So, most of you think that it is ethically or politically correct to let a fetus develop and be born EVEN when it brings "bad" stuff to its family, or itself.

2) Now... do you all remember what you did in the womb? Do you think a fetus can take decisions, or choices? Do you think a fetus actually THINKS? Is then a fetus human? NOT ****ING YET.

3) And if it was by any coincidence human, what's wrong with killing it? Why is there death penalty? To help society. Why is there abortion? To help SOCIETY. It's not like God or some kind of mystical ethical being is gonna go like "OMFG YOU KILLED A FETUS ARRR" and throw lightning at you.

I would like to see you all who are against abortion when by accident your 15 year-old sister gets pregnant.

Moderator Note: The double post has been combined with this post.

-Tipsy

Lights said:
No, it is the woman's "right" to choose to have sex, to create a human being. After that, it is the government's responsibility to protect human beings within it's borders. It is fully the government's "business" to protect human life from harm, especially when that human life cannot even speak for itself.

No, it is the woman's choice to decide whether or not she is going to get pregnant. After that, it is her responsibility (and the government's to see that she does) to protect the life she has created, by either raising it or giving it up for adoption.
HELLO RAPE / CONDOM FAILURE?

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Lights said:

You contradict yourself at every turn. So, you don't agree with murdering a deformed baby moments after it's been born, since it has suddenly become human, but are fine with it 2 months prior? Sorry, bucko, but it's the same deformed baby; the same human being.

-Tell me do you remember what you did when you were a fetus? A fetus has memory or thought process. It just sits there and lives off of the mother.

Legal documentation has NOTHING to do with anything.

-But yet @ every corner your trying to prove that it has legal rights? HAHAHAHA hypocrite alert.

I don't think anyone is, seeing that it doesn't make any sense.
-Lemme see here. My logic... A women doesn't want to have a baby so she aborts it therefore saving her the risk of going into poverty and eventually having to take care of an unwanted child who will be born into poverty.
Your Logic: OMG LAdY TO ****ING BAD YOU HAD SEX SO NOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP THIS BABY NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! EVEN IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF IT AND YOU EVEN USED BIRTH CONTROLZZ!!!!
aafasfasfdfdsa

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
_Ace said:
Well, well, you are all debating on laws, US Constitution and the fact that a fetus is or isn't a human being...
Please point out any of the genetic differences between a person when they were a fetus and a person now. In the human life cycle, it never changes. You are always genetically the same (unless changed by something from outside the human life cycle). What decides what a human is? Genetics, plain and simple. A fetus is a natural stage in the human life cycle. A fetus is a human, that is a fact.

_Ace said:
Let's see:
1) Why is abortion done? Because:
a) The baby would have a bad life.
b) The baby would cause his parents to have a bad life.
c) Nobody can mantain it.
So, most of you think that it is ethically or politically correct to let a fetus develop and be born EVEN when it brings "bad" stuff to its family, or itself.
Life cannot be taken away just because it will bring ‘bad’ stuff. As for c, put it up for adoption. As for most arguments here, what needs to be decided before any of these other arguments can be decided is if a fetus is a human. Without that decided, nothing else can be.

_Ace said:
2) Now... do you all remember what you did in the womb? Do you think a fetus can take decisions, or choices? Do you think a fetus actually THINKS? Is then a fetus human? NOT ****ING YET.
Once again, what makes a human is decided by genetics.

_Ace said:
3) And if it was by any coincidence human, what's wrong with killing it? Why is there death penalty? To help society. Why is there abortion? To help SOCIETY. It's not like God or some kind of mystical ethical being is gonna go like "OMFG YOU KILLED A FETUS ARRR" and throw lightning at you.
Unlike the death penalty, abortion denies the fetus due process (which we will decide whether it has the right to due process once we finish debating if a fetus is a human or not).

Lights said:
No, it is the woman's "right" to choose to have sex, to create a human being. After that, it is the government's responsibility to protect human beings within it's borders.
What’s the difference between a fetus that was chosen by the mother to be had and one that wasn’t? Aren’t they both human? (And this is addressed at Lights because for many other people the question of whether a fetus is a human or not is still up in the air).

Lizardbreath said:
Tell me do you remember what you did when you were a fetus? A fetus has memory or thought process. It just sits there and lives off of the mother.
This does not apply if the fetus is a human. That must be resolved first.

Lizardbreath said:
But yet @ every corner your trying to prove that it has legal rights? HAHAHAHA hypocrite alert.
Let me fix your quote:
But yet @ every corner your trying to prove that it [should have] legal rights? HAHAHAHA hypocrite alert.
No hypocrisy there.

Lizardbreath said:
Lemme see here. My logic... A women doesn't want to have a baby so she aborts it therefore saving her the risk of going into poverty and eventually having to take care of an unwanted child who will be born into poverty.
You cannot kill a human life for social reasons (at least not without due process). You should be debating whether or not a fetus is a human or not rather than these superfluous arguments that only dance around the issue.

Lizardbreath said:
Your Logic: OMG LAdY TO ****ING BAD YOU HAD SEX SO NOW YOU HAVE TO KEEP THIS BABY NO MATTER WHAT!!!!! EVEN IF YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF IT AND YOU EVEN USED BIRTH CONTROLZZ!!!!
I will fix your quote once again:

Your logic: A fetus is a human. The government has a responsibility to protect life.
If I haven’t made it clear in my post then I will reiterate it here. None of these social argument matter the slightest bit if the question of if a fetus is a human or not is not resolved. If it is a human, social issues cannot take away its’ life (at least not without due process). If a fetus is not a human there needs to be no social argument against it because it has no rights. Debating these pointless social issues bring the this topic nowhere because they don’t matter if the big question is avoided. There should be one question that you should be answering with statements backing up your reasons:

Is a fetus a human?

Then you should be answering:

Yes, (insert information backing it)

Or

No, (insert information backing it)

Edit:
@ Lizardbreath

Lizardbreath said:
Tipsy said:
So it only has rights the second it is born? If that is so, why did you say "I have always been in favor of a full ban on third trimester abortions and mid-way throught the second trimester abortions (unless harmful to the mother). In the beggining though i see no problem with it." These two statements don't work together - if it only has rights after it is born, then what is wrong with third trimester and mid-way through the second trimester (unless harmful to the mother)?
-Allow me to explain it to you further. Personally I believe that it is wrong to to have an abortion during the middle of the second trimester on. Now, that is just a personal opinion of mine. But you see I also personally believe that an abortion is none of the governments business; they shouldn't be regulating it nor should they pass laws stating it should be permanently banned. I believe it is a women's right to choose whether or not she has an abortion and nobody else's. There is a huge difference between what I personally believe and what kind of powers I believe we should be giving our federal government. Permanently banning abortions is not what I want to see our government doing in the near future. I believe that is giving the government too much power then it already has.
My question is how did you come up with your personal opinion. What is your reasoning behind it?

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just because you don't remember what you did when you were in the womb doesn't make a fetus "legal" to kill. In fact, memory only starts for humans when they learn how to speak. Are you saying that babies who cannot speak yet (therefore has no memory) are as legal to kill as unborn babies?

And yes, a fetus "thinks" because it moves around in the womb.

And please, you people are not psychic, do not assume a baby's future.

It is completely immoral to kill someone just so you can get out of a tough situation, no matter who it is.
Your logic, lizardbreath, is the same logic as killing someone who you owe $100 000 to so that you don't have to go through the tough times finding two jobs and therefore more money to pay back. You just take the easy way out and kill the person.

Completely selfish. Just because a baby may have a bad childhood, does not give you the right to end it. It is a similar thing as euthanasia. You do not end someone's life because you know they will just suffer in the future.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Tipsy said:
Please point out any of the genetic differences between a person when they were a fetus and a person now. In the human life cycle, it never changes. You are always genetically the same (unless changed by something from outside the human life cycle). What decides what a human is? Genetics, plain and simple. A fetus is a natural stage in the human life cycle. A fetus is a human, that is a fact.

Life cannot be taken away just because it will bring ‘bad’ stuff. As for c, put it up for adoption. As for most arguments here, what needs to be decided before any of these other arguments can be decided is if a fetus is a human. Without that decided, nothing else can be.

Once again, what makes a human is decided by genetics.

Unlike the death penalty, abortion denies the fetus due process (which we will decide whether it has the right to due process once we finish debating if a fetus is a human or not).

What’s the difference between a fetus that was chosen by the mother to be had and one that wasn’t? Aren’t they both human? (And this is addressed at Lights because for many other people the question of whether a fetus is a human or not is still up in the air).

This does not apply if the fetus is a human. That must be resolved first.

Let me fix your quote:

No hypocrisy there.

You cannot kill a human life for social reasons (at least not without due process). You should be debating whether or not a fetus is a human or not rather than these superfluous arguments that only dance around the issue.

I will fix your quote once again:

If I haven’t made it clear in my post then I will reiterate it here. None of these social argument matter the slightest bit if the question of if a fetus is a human or not is not resolved. If it is a human, social issues cannot take away its’ life (at least not without due process). If a fetus is not a human there needs to be no social argument against it because it has no rights. Debating these pointless social issues bring the this topic nowhere because they don’t matter if the big question is avoided. There should be one question that you should be answering with statements backing up your reasons:

Is a fetus a human?

Then you should be answering:

Yes, (insert information backing it)

Or

No, (insert information backing it)

Edit:
@ Lizardbreath

My question is how did you come up with your personal opinion. What is your reasoning behind it?
-Alright...I will again answer this question. Genetically; Yes ultimately a fetus will become a human being. Anybody who doesn't believe this is a moron who has no idea about the human reproductive cycle. The question is both a legal/ethical one. Ethically I see nothing wrong with destroying a fetus before the middle of the second trimester (It's a personal opinion that is never going to change). Primarily because I don't believe it to be of any value to keep alive. But I do have a problem with the second half and the third trimester....That's an ethical thing again. Legally, I would have to say no...the constitution never specifically gives rights to a fetus; nor does it give the government the right to force a women into pregnancy(Again this is an interpretation which I know some don't agree with).

dasfdsfadsfdsfa

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you explain to me the difference between a fetus before the middle of the second trimester and after? What makes a fetus after the middle of the second trimester suddenly have enough value to keep alive?

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
-Tell me do you remember what you did when you were a fetus? A fetus has memory or thought process. It just sits there and lives off of the mother.
Tell me do you remember what you did when you were 3 weeks old? Again, I fail to understand your logic with this point you keep trying to make.

-But yet @ every corner your trying to prove that it has legal rights? HAHAHAHA hypocrite alert.
Human beings are covered by national and international human rights. My point was in response to what I thought you meant by "legal documentation" - aka, a United States Citizen, which doesn't have anything to do with anything. If that isn't what you meant, I apologize. A fetus isn't a citizen, but it still is (read: should be) covered by international human rights.

-Lemme see here. My logic... A women doesn't want to have a baby so she aborts it therefore saving her the risk of going into poverty and eventually having to take care of an unwanted child who will be born into poverty.
She ends a human being's existence to save her the "risk" of poverty? You don't see anything wrong with that picture?

My logic: A fetus is undeniably a human being. /end logic

-Alright...I will again answer this question. Genetically; Yes ultimately a fetus will become a human being. Anybody who doesn't believe this is a moron who has no idea about the human reproductive cycle. The question is both a legal/ethical one. Ethically I see nothing wrong with destroying a fetus before the middle of the second trimester (It's a personal opinion that is never going to change). Primarily because I don't believe it to be of any value to keep alive. But I do have a problem with the second half and the third trimester....That's an ethical thing again. Legally, I would have to say no...the constitution never specifically gives rights to a fetus; nor does it give the government the right to force a women into pregnancy(Again this is an interpretation which I know some don't agree with).
* No, a fetus will not "ultimately become" a human being, it IS a human being, and anybody who doesn't believe this is a moron who has no idea about the human reproductive cycle.
* No one ever said it did. You have come up with that argument yourself. Not once has anyone in this thread, other than you, even SUGGESTED that the government has the right to force a woman into pregnancy. She made that conscious decision herself. The government should, however, "force" her not to kill the human being inside her, just as the government should "force" you not to kill your neighbor.
* Lol. Wow. You fail.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Lights said:
Tell me do you remember what you did when you were 3 weeks old? Again, I fail to understand your logic with this point you keep trying to make.

Human beings are covered by national and international human rights. My point was in response to what I thought you meant by "legal documentation" - aka, a United States Citizen, which doesn't have anything to do with anything. If that isn't what you meant, I apologize. A fetus isn't a citizen, but it still is (read: should be) covered by international human rights.

-Wait a second? Where is the documentation that states abortion is illegal? Nowhere. If these so called "International rights" were there we would not have abortion in this country. Which; again, I don't see anywhere.

She ends a human being's existence to save her the "risk" of poverty? You don't see anything wrong with that picture?

-No, she ends a living beings exsistance because it doesn't really have a "Life" until after it is born and see's the world.

My logic: A fetus is undeniably a human being. /end logic

* No, a fetus will not "ultimately become" a human being, it IS a human being, and anybody who doesn't believe this is a moron who has no idea about the human reproductive cycle.

- It will evolve from cells into a full blown human being. Until then it's a fetus.

No one ever said it did. You have come up with that argument yourself. Not once has anyone in this thread, other than you, even SUGGESTED that the government has the right to force a woman into pregnancy. She made that conscious decision herself. The government should, however, "force" her not to kill the human being inside her, just as the government should "force" you not to kill your neighbor.

-Really? I made a typo there. I meant that the government has no right to "Force" a women to stay through her pregnancy. So are you suggesting that we punish people based on religious beliefs lights? Because that, in it's own, is a seperation of powers issue. Nowhere in the constitution does it give a fetus any "rights" So therefore it is not under the protection of the U.S government. We give rights to illegal aliens.....but these rights are not extended to unborn children. Even the U.S government doesn't give these illegal citizens rights until they are born on U.S soil.

Lol. Wow. You fail.

-Lol. Wow. You fail.

Tipsy

Respected Member
Reaction score
Lizardbreath said:
-Wait a second? Where is the documentation that states abortion is illegal? Nowhere. If these so called "International rights" were there we would not have abortion in this country. Which; again, I don't see anywhere.
Let me add emphasis to Light’s post:

“Human beings are covered by national and international human rights. My point was in response to what I thought you meant by "legal documentation" - aka, a United States Citizen, which doesn't have anything to do with anything. If that isn't what you meant, I apologize. A fetus isn't a citizen, but it still is (read: should be) covered by international human rights.”

Lizardbreath said:
Nowhere in the constitution does it give a fetus any "rights" So therefore it is not under the protection of the U.S government. We give rights to illegal aliens.....but these rights are not extended to unborn children. Even the U.S government doesn't give these illegal citizens rights until they are born on U.S soil.
To make this fit under international I point out the United Nation’s Declaration of Human Rights (as in the rights a human has):

Now, Therefore THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY proclaims THIS UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS as a common standard of achievement for all peoples and all nations, to the end that every individual and every organ of society, keeping this Declaration constantly in mind, shall strive by teaching and education to promote respect for these rights and freedoms and by progressive measures, national and international, to secure their universal and effective recognition and observance, both among the peoples of Member States themselves and among the peoples of territories under their jurisdiction.

The United States is a member state of the United Nations and has to apply all the rights here to all the humans in its’ jurisdiction.

Now let’s go to article 3:

“Everyone has the right to life...”

All humans in all member states of the United Nations are required to give the right to life. So if a fetus is a human it should be protected.

Lizardbreath said:
Nowhere in the constitution does it give a fetus any "rights" So therefore it is not under the protection of the U.S government. We give rights to illegal aliens.....but these rights are not extended to unborn children. Even the U.S government doesn't give these illegal citizens rights until they are born on U.S soil.
All humans under the jurisdiction of the United States are given the right to life by both United States law and international law.

Why are they human, I will list the ‘Fourteen Myths of Abortion’ to answer all of your questions.

(Can be seen here: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/SFL/dnirving_--_human_beginning.htm#Myth)

Lizardbreath said:
-No, she ends a living beings exsistance because it doesn't really have a "Life" until after it is born and see's the world.

It will evolve from cells into a full blown human being. Until then it's a fetus.
See *

Lizardbreath said:
-Really? I made a typo there. I meant that the government has no right to "Force" a women to stay through her pregnancy. So are you suggesting that we punish people based on religious beliefs lights? Because that, in it's own, is a seperation of powers issue.
See *

How the article I am about to post excerpts starts is as follows:

“The question as to when a human being begins is strictly a scientific question, and should be answered by human embryologists — not by philosophers, bioethicists, theologians*, politicians, x-ray technicians, movie stars, or obstetricians and gynecologists.”

Myth 1: "Prolifers claim that the abortion of a human embryo or a human fetus is wrong because it destroys human life. But human sperms and human ova are human life, too. So prolifers would also have to agree that the destruction of human sperms and human ova are no different from abortions — and that is ridiculous!"

Fact 1: As pointed out above in the background section, there is a radical difference, scientifically, between parts of a human being that only possess "human life" and a human embryo or human fetus that is an actual "human being." Abortion is the destruction of a human being. Destroying a human sperm or a human oocyte would not constitute abortion, since neither are human beings. The issue is not when does human life begin, but rather when does the life of every human being begin. A human kidney or liver, a human skin cell, a sperm or an oocyte all possess human life, but they are not human beings — they are only parts of a human being. If a single sperm or a single oocyte were implanted into a woman's uterus, they would not grow; they would simply disintegrate.

*Myth 2: "The product of fertilization is simply a 'blob,' a 'bunch of cells', a 'piece of the mother's tissues'."

Fact 2: As demonstrated above, the human embryonic organism formed at fertilization is a whole human being, and therefore it is not just a "blob" or a "bunch of cells." This new human individual also has a mixture of both the mother's and the father's chromosomes, and therefore it is not just a "piece of the mother's tissues". Quoting Carlson:
"... [T]hrough the mingling of maternal and paternal chromosomes, the zygote is a genetically unique product of chromosomal reassortment, which is important for the viability of any species."15 (Emphasis added.)

*Myth 3: "The immediate product of fertilization is just a 'potential' or a 'possible' human being — not a real existing human being."

Fact 3: As demonstrated above, scientifically there is absolutely no question whatsoever that the immediate product of fertilization is a newly existing human being. A human zygote is a human being. It is not a "potential" or a "possible" human being. It's an actual human being — with the potential to grow bigger and develop its capacities.

Myth 4: "A single-cell human zygote, or embryo, or fetus are not human beings, because they do not look like human beings."

Fact 4: As all human embryologists know, a single-cell human zygote, or a more developed human embryo, or human fetus is a human being — and that that's the way they are supposed to look at those particular periods of development.

Myth 5: "The immediate product of fertilization is just an 'it' — it is neither a girl nor a boy."

Fact 5: The immediate product of fertilization is genetically already a girl or a boy — determined by the kind of sperm that fertilizes the oocyte. Quoting Carlson again:
"...[T]he sex of the future embryo is determined by the chromosomal complement of the spermatozoon. (If the sperm contains 22 autosomes and 2 X chromosomes, the embryo will be a genetic female, and if it contains 22 autosomes and an X and a Y chromosome, the embryo will be a genetic male.)"16

Myth 6: "The embryo and the embryonic period begin at implantation." (Alternative myths claim 14 days, or 3 weeks.)

Fact 6: These are a few of the most common myths perpetuated sometimes even within quasi-scientific articles — especially within the bioethics literature. As demonstrated above, the human embryo, who is a human being, begins at fertilization — not at implantation (about 5-7 days), 14-days, or 3 weeks. Thus the embryonic period also begins at fertilization, and ends by the end of the eighth week, when the fetal period begins. Quoting O'Rahilly:

"Prenatal life is conveniently divided into two phases: the embryonic and the fetal. The embryonic period proper during which the vast majority of the named structures of the body appear, occupies the first 8 postovulatory weeks. ... [T]he fetal period extends from 8 weeks to birth ..."17 (Emphasis added.)

Myth 7: "The product of fertilization, up to 14-days, is not an embryo; it is just a 'pre-embryo' — and therefore it can be used in experimental research, aborted, or donated."

Fact 7: This "scientific" myth is perhaps the most common error that pervades the current literature. The term "pre-embryo" has quite a long and interesting history. (See Irving and Kischer, The Human Development Hoax: Time To Tell The Truth!, for extensive details and references.) But it roughly goes back to at least 1979 in the bioethics writings of Jesuit theologian Richard McCormick in his work with the Ethics Advisory Board to the United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare,18 and those of frog developmental biologist Dr. Clifford Grobstein in a 1979 article in Scientific American,19 and most notably in his classic book, Science and the Unborn: Choosing Human Futures (1988).20 Both McCormick and Grobstein subsequently continued propagating this scientific myth as members of the Ethics Committee of the American Fertility Society, and in numerous influential bioethics articles, leading to its common use in bioethics, theological, and public policy literature to this day.

Myth 8: "Pregnancy begins with the implantation of the blastocyst (i.e., about 5-7 days)."

Fact 8: This definition of "pregnancy" was initiated to accommodate the introduction of the process of in vitro fertilization, where fertilization takes place artificially outside the mother in a petri dish, and then the embryo is artificially introduced into the woman's uterus so that implantation of the embryo can take place. Obviously, if the embryo is not within the woman's body, she is not "pregnant" in the literal, traditional sense of the term. However, this artificial situation cannot validly be substituted back to redefine "normal pregnancy," in which fertilization does take place within the woman's body in her fallopian tube, and subsequently the embryo itself moves along the tube to implant itself into her uterus. In normal situations, pregnancy begins at fertilization, not at implantation…

Myth 9: "The 'morning-after pill,' RU486, and the IUD are not abortifacient; they are only methods of contraception."

Fact 9: The "morning-after pill," RU486, and the IUD can be abortifacient, if fertilization has taken place. Then they would act to prevent the implantation of an already existing human embryo — the blastocyst — which is an existing human being. If the developing human blastocyst is prevented from implanting into the uterus, then obviously the embryo dies. In effect, these chemical and mechanical methods of contraception have become methods of abortion as well…

And since the whole human blastocyst is the embryonic human being — not just the inner cell layer — the use of chemical abortifacients that act "only" on the outer trophoblast layer of the blastocyst, e.g., methotrexate,37 would be abortifacient as well.

Myth 10: "Human embryo research, human cloning, stem cell research, and the formation of chimeras are acceptable kinds of research because until implantation or 14 days there is only a 'pre-embryo', a 'potential' human embryo or human being present. A real human embryo and a human being (child) do not actually begin unless and until the 'pre-embryo' is implanted into the mother's uterus."

Fact 10: These claims are currently being made by bioethicists, research scientists, pharmaceutical companies, and other biotech research companies — even by some members of Congress. However, they too are "scientific" myths.

Scientifically it is perfectly clear that there is no such thing as a "pre-embryo," as demonstrated in Fact 7. As demonstrated in the background material, the immediate product of fertilization is a human being, a human embryo, a human child — the zygote. This zygote is a newly existing, genetically unique, genetically male or female, individual human being — it is not a "potential" or a "possible" human being. And this developing human being is a human being, a human embryo, a human child whether or not it is implanted artificially into the womb of the mother…

Myth 11: "Certain early stages of the developing human embryo and fetus, e.g., during the formation of ancestral fish gills or tails, demonstrates that it is not yet a human being, but is only in the process of becoming one. It is simply 'recapitulating' the historical evolution of all of the species."

Fact 11: This "scientific" myth is yet another version of the "potential," "possible," "pre-embryo" myths. It is an attempt to deny the early human embryo its real identity as a human being and its real existence. But quoting once again from O'Rahilly:

"The theory that successive stages of individual development (ontogeny) correspond with ('recapitulate') successive adult ancestors in the line of evolutionary descent (phylogeny) became popular in the 19th century as the so-called biogenetic law. This theory of recapitulation, however, has had a 'regrettable influence in the progress of embryology' (citing de Beer). ... Furthermore, during its development an animal departs more and more from the form of other animals. Indeed, the early stages in the development of an animal are not like the adult stages of other forms, but resemble only the early stages of those animals."38
Hence, the developing human embryo or fetus is not a "fish" or a "frog," but is categorically a human being — as has been already demonstrated.

Myth 12: "Maybe a human being begins at fertilization, but a human person does not begin until after 14-days, when twinning cannot take place."

Fact 12: The particular argument in Myth 12 is also made by McCormick and Grobstein (and their numerous followers). It is based on their biological claim that the "pre-embryo" is not a developmental individual, and therefore not a person, until after 14 days when twinning can no longer take place. However, it has already been scientifically demonstrated here that there is no such thing as a "pre-embryo," and that in fact the embryo begins as a "developmental individual" at fertilization. Furthermore, twinning can take place after 14 days. Thus simply on the level of science, the philosophical claim of "personhood" advanced by these bioethicists is invalid and indefensible.

Myth 13: "A human person begins with 'brain birth,' the formation of the primitive nerve net, or the formation of the cortex — all physiological structures necessary to support thinking and feeling."

Fact 13: Such claims are all pure mental speculation, the product of imposing philosophical (or theological*) concepts on the scientific data, and have no scientific evidence to back them up. As the well-known neurological researcher D. Gareth Jones has succinctly put it, the parallelism between "brain death" and "brain birth" is scientifically invalid. "Brain death" is the gradual or rapid cessation of the functions of a brain. "Brain birth" is the very gradual acquisition of the functions of a developing neural system. This developing neural system is not a brain. He questions, in fact, the entire assumption and asks what neurological reasons there might be for concluding that an incapacity for consciousness becomes a capacity for consciousness once this point is passed. Jones continues that the alleged symmetry is not as strong as is sometimes assumed, and that it has yet to be provided with a firm biological base.41

*Myth 14: "A 'person' is defined in terms of the active exercising of 'rational attributes' (e.g., thinking, willing, choosing, self-consciousness, relating to the world around one, etc.), and/or the active exercising of 'sentience' (e.g., the feeling of pain and pleasure)."

Fact 14: Again, these are philosophical terms or concepts, which have been illegitimately imposed on the scientific data. The scientific fact is that the brain, which is supposed to be the physiological support for both "rational attributes" and "sentience," is not actually completely developed until young adulthood. Quoting Moore:
"Although it is customary to divide human development into prenatal (before birth) and postnatal (after birth) periods, birth is merely a dramatic event during development resulting in a change in environment. Development does not stop at birth. Important changes, in addition to growth, occur after birth (e.g., development of teeth and female breasts). The brain triples in weight between birth and 16 years; most developmental changes are completed by the age of 25."42

One should also consider simply the logical — and very real — consequences if a "person" is defined only in terms of the actual exercising of "rational attributes" or of "sentience." What would this mean for the following list of adult human beings with diminished "rational attributes": e.g., the mentally ill, the mentally retarded, the depressed elderly, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's patients, drug addicts, alcoholics — and for those with diminished "sentience," e.g., the comatose, patients in a "vegetative state," paraplegics, and other paralyzed and disabled patients, diabetics or other patients with nerve or brain damage, etc.? Would they then be considered as only human beings but not also as human persons? Would that mean that they would not have the same ethical and legal rights and protections as those adult human beings who are considered as persons? Is there really such a "split" between a human being and a human person?

In fact, this is the position of bioethics writers such as the Australian animal rights philosopher Peter Singer,43 the recently appointed Director of the Center for Human Values at Princeton University. Singer argues that the higher primates, e.g., dogs, pigs, apes, monkeys, are persons — but that some human beings, e.g., even normal human infants, and disabled human adults, are not persons. Fellow bioethicist Norman Fost actually considers "cognitively impaired" adult human beings as "brain dead."
Philosopher/bioethicist R.G. Frey has also published that many of the adult human beings on the above list are not "persons," and suggests that they be substituted for the higher primates who are "persons" in purely destructive experimental research.44 The list goes on.

_______

For further information explaining the science behind the facts to the myths go to the link provided above for the information listed before the myths. Some of the information had to be cut out so it could fit.

This should easily along with the link provided should cover and doubts you have about a fetus being a human.

Undead Cheese

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
So are you suggesting that we punish people based on religious beliefs lights?
Drop this argument now, for your own sake, because it has been refuted countless times. I'm an atheist, Lights is agnostic, and Tipsy is a theist, yet we're all on the same side of the argument. This isn't a religious issue; it's an issue of logic and an understanding of biology in general.

_Ace

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hey Tipsy, please tell me the genetical difference between a serial-murderer and the Pope. None, yet they are completely different. And a fetus, until not fully developed, is NOT human.
By the way, if you can't address my other arguments, don't give me the "1st we have to decide whether it's human or not" crap.
Oh, and last thing, someone who opposes to genetic researches using stem cells shouldn't be able to use "genetics" in their arguments, hypocrit.

One last thing: What if pregnancy is dangerous to both mother's and fetus' life? Go on and let them both die?

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
_Ace said:
Hey Tipsy, please tell me the genetical difference between a serial-murderer and the Pope. None, yet they are completely different. And a fetus, until not fully developed, is NOT human.
You and lizard keep bringing up this "not full human" thing. I believe lizard so eloquently put it as "full blown." You keep saying this, BUT YOU DONT SAY WHY! We have expressed again and again that we are human by genetics, and you totally ignore that and say "not yet human." If you could PLEASE give a reason as to why a 3 month toddler is "more human" than a 4 month fetus, I'de LOVE to hear it. And please don't say something about "not developed," because that is simply stupid. Is a 5 minute-old baby a "fully developed" human or is it just an undeveloped, stupid baby? You don't stop "developing" until you are in your twenties, so I fail to understand this argument.

By the way, if you can't address my other arguments, don't give me the "1st we have to decide whether it's human or not" crap.
Oh, and last thing, someone who opposes to genetic researches using stem cells shouldn't be able to use "genetics" in their arguments, hypocrit.
He did address them. If a fetus is considered human, all your arguments are void and vice versa if it's not.

One last thing: What if pregnancy is dangerous to both mother's and fetus' life? Go on and let them both die?
That can be viewed as an assault on the mother's life.

_Ace

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Lights said:
You and lizard keep bringing up this "not full human" thing. I believe lizard so eloquently put it as "full blown." You keep saying this, BUT YOU DONT SAY WHY! We have expressed again and again that we are human by genetics, and you totally ignore that and say "not yet human." If you could PLEASE give a reason as to why a 3 month toddler is "more human" than a 4 month fetus, I'de LOVE to hear it. And please don't say something about "not developed," because that is simply stupid. Is a 5 minute-old baby a "fully developed" human or is it just an undeveloped, stupid baby? You don't stop "developing" until you are in your twenties, so I fail to understand this argument.
Just one word: DEPENDENCY. Fetus can't live outside the womb without any kind of simulated womb (artificial feeding and such)

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Undead Cheese said:
Drop this argument now, for your own sake, because it has been refuted countless times. I'm an atheist, Lights is agnostic, and Tipsy is a theist, yet we're all on the same side of the argument. This isn't a religious issue; it's an issue of logic and an understanding of biology in general.
-I know a fetus will eventually become a human. But until it is outside of the women's body I see no legal reason to give it rights. Thank you.....

Edit: Thank you tipsy for that big ass essay on why a professor and Vanderbilt University is anti-abortion. I appreciate it....considering I have never heard of Vanderbilt. Ever.

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
_Ace said:
Just one word: DEPENDENCY. Fetus can't live outside the womb without any kind of simulated womb (artificial feeding and such)

You are saying it is ok to kill a baby in the womb in the 8th or 9th month?

Dependency... you could label someone who is in a coma or severely handicapped to be totally unable to live without any kind of simulated "womb" (something to give it food and care). Are you saying that a person with a coma or severly handicapped who is totally dependent on a simulated "womb" do not have any rights? And therefore, legal to kill? Because there is no difference between a person in a coma and a fetus.

Funny how Tipsy's post got almost completely ignored by saying "I do not know what Vanderbilt is." Great argument people.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
It was the same thing he has been saying all along. Just in one big post made by a professor @ some university nobody has heard of.

-Also, The person in a coma has rights because he/she has been born. Which is given to them in the constitution when it stated " All born or naturalized citizens"

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was pointing out you cannot use the fact that a baby is dependent on the womb to classify it as "not human". Because fetuses are not the only thing that is totally dependent on a "womb" like a person in a coma.

The person in a coma has rights because he/she has been born. Which is given to them in the constitution when it stated " All born or naturalized citizens"
That is discriminatory. A fetus should have as much rights as a person in a coma. They are both totally dependent on a "womb". You cannot say that the person in the coma has more rights because he/she has been born because then that means it would be legal to kill a baby in the 8th or 9th month of pregenancy.

Undead Cheese

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
_Ace said:
Aye, but, unfortunately for your argument, no one gives a shit about dependency. A person on life support isn't somehow no longer a human being.

_Ace said:
Hey Tipsy, please tell me the genetical difference between a serial-murderer and the Pope. None, yet they are completely different.
Indeed, and the serial killer can be put to death. However, this can only happen after due process has run its course. The accused have rights, but, if the serial killer is found guilty, he can be put to death. The fetus isn't guilty of anything, though, and is therefore not subject to the same death penalty.

_Ace said:
And a fetus, until not fully developed, is NOT human.
So your argument now is that anyone under the age of 25 is fair game, right? After all, "people" aren't fully developed until their early-to-mid twenties.

_Ace said:
You know embryonic stem cells aren't the only kind, right?

_Ace said:
If the actual process of giving birth is going to kill the mother, then she can have it artificially removed, even before the full nine months, and they can both survive. If for some other reason, though, the very pregnancy itself is life-threatening to her, she can have the fetus killed, because that falls nicely in the lines of "self defense."

lizardbreath said:
-Also, The person in a coma has rights because he/she has been born.
You have failed to demonstrate why being born constitutes being human. The birth is merely an event in the human life cycle and is the first change of environment the person experiences. A person 5 minutes after birth isn't any more human than a person 5 minutes before birth, or 10 minutes, or an hour, or a day, or a week, etc.

lizardbreath said:
Which is given to them in the constitution when it stated " All born or naturalized citizens"
But no one cares about whether or not the fetus is a citizen, because you can not be a citizen and still have rights. Hell, we've even agreed with you that the fetus isn't a citizen of the United States. What's the relevence of this, though? None. According to international law / treaties that we've signed, all people, not just citizens, within a country's jurisdiction have certain rights, and a 'right to life' is one of them.