Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Source

Somebody pinch me. Maybe it's because I haven't had dinner yet, but I'm feeling a bit woozy after watching the global premiere of a new trailer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Shigeru Miyamoto and Smash Bros. creator Mr. Sakurai unveiled the trailer at a special media event held by Nintendo on Wednesday night.

If you thought this had turned out to be a Smash-free E3, you were wrong. We were ALL wrong! The Super Smash Bros. Brawl movie showed Kirby, Mario, Link, and Samus battling it out, and it also introduced FIVE new characters:

Meta Knight (from the Kirby game franchise)

Pit (from Kid Icarus, seen now for the first time in full 3D)

Zero Suit Samus (Ooh la la)

Snake (from the Metal Gear Solid series)

Video highlights include Cook Kirby stewing Mario in a boiling kettle, an atomic flatulence from Wario, a Nintendog pawing the screen (it was unclear what role the Nintendog will play in the game), and Snake performing reconnaissance in a cardboard item box.

The addition of Snake confirms that the doors have been opened for third-party characters to join the fight, although Mr. Sakurai stated that no other non-Nintendo characters have been officially confirmed.

A Q&A session followed the video release, and we'll be posting the full transcript here on Thursday. Mr. Sakurai also announced that he will be launching a website about Super Smash Bros. Brawl very soon at www.SmashBros.com. Called Super Smash Bros. Dojo, the site will feature the video shown at the event along with lots of other great updates.

Stay tuned for more information!

[strike]EDIT1: Brawl is the new title. It is Br + awl -_-; but BF seems to filter a word meaning 'fight'.[/strike]
Brawl edited in. ~x42bn6

EDIT2: In fact...Just found... must watch! Here's the home site. Enjoy ^_^

Of final note...SAMUS ARAN IN NO SUIT!!

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I think I'm gonna cry *sniff* I'm already in love with the game! It'll rule if they overcome the difficulties of turning this WiFi!

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Kick. Ass. Snake?!?! Tight. Nearly nude Samus?! Sexy. Go go for Wii Launch!

Hamtaro

Official Forum Hamster
Reaction score
:'(
I <3 this game so badly I wantz it :usad

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
S'more info!

Here's a new interview!

As I reported here, Nintendo dropped a bomb last night by unveiling new characters and an awesome trailer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The unveiling was followed by a Q&A session with Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto and Smash Bros. guru Masahiro Sakurai.

Note: This interview has been edited for clarity and length.

Now that Wii is a reality, are you thinking about reviving any older franchises?

Mr. Miyamoto: I think it opens up a lot of different possibilities. Obviously one of those is Kid Icarus, and you've seen that we've created Pit in full 3D. Even taking a past game like Star Fox and updating the control system with the Wii Controller opens up a lot of new possibilities. Unfortunately, right now, I have so many brand new ideas that I hardly even have time to work on those. And of course, now that we have the Wii Controller and the Virtual Console, it's possible that we could go back and change the feel of some games in exciting new ways.

What are some of your ideas for Wii games that you haven't shared?

Mr. Miyamoto: Well there aren't any new ideas that I'm prepared to talk about today, but one thing I can speak about is Super Mario Galaxy. One thing I always wanted to do with Mario for many years is to allow one player to play as Mario while allowing other players to join in on the action. One thing we're looking at doing for Super Mario Galaxy is to experiment with a multiplayer mode where one player controls Mario while the other players use the Wii Remote to help him out, or perhaps get in his way.

How will Super Smash Bros. for Wii take advantage of the controller?

Mr. Sakurai: We've actually been working with some different ideas, and we've found that trying to implement too much of the motion sensor could actually get in the way of the game. We're looking at trying to keep the controls simple, as they have been in past games. Of course, you all know that the Wii hardware has ports for the GameCube controller as well. So, I'll just say now that you may not want to throw away your GameCube controllers just yet!

Mr. Miyamoto and Nintendo have encouraged developers to really take advantage of the Wii Controller and find innovative ways to implement it into their games. So in that sense, I'm going in a different direction, and trying to offer something that has more of the standard control features that all of you have come to expect.

Will Wario have a fart move?

Mr. Sakurai: Yes!

Will the game's roster be expanded to include more Nintendo characters in addition to what we've seen?

Mr. Sakurai: There are plenty of other characters we're thinking about, none of which I can speak about today. Actually I also want to ask everyone here what characters they'd like to see.

[At this point, the audience began to shout out characters, including: Sonic, Ridley, Captain Olimar, Waluigi, "Anyone from Pro Wrestling," Fawful, Mega Man, Lolo, Reggie, and Mr. Miyamoto]

Will the game take advantage of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection?

Mr. Sakurai: One of the primary reasons that this game was even created was because Nintendo staff said that when taking the console online, probably the best title to do so would be Super Smash Bros. Because of that, we're going to try very hard to do that. But, at the same time, I think it would be a lot of work for us to allow four players to play simultaneously and try to find out who's number one. So, we're mainly focusing on bringing multiple people together to play simultaneously in perhaps new and different ways.

What is your favorite Wii game so far and why?

Mr. Miyamoto: Actually, right now we're having a lot of fun with tennis and I really like it a lot. Whenever anyone picks the controller up, they immediately know what they’re doing, and they're playing at the same level. The gameplay is actually surprisingly deep in terms of what you're able to do with your swing.

Mr. Sakurai: Actually, I just played Zelda and the Mario game for the very first time. I also really like the plane demo. I thought that was really fun.

How different is the experience of playing Twilight Princess on Wii versus the GameCube?

Mr. Miyamoto: In terms of the experience itself, obviously the interface is different so that is going to result in a very different experience in the two games. I've actually become very used to the Wii Controller for Zelda. Because of that, I'm incapable of going back to the GameCube version.

Is Mario a launch title?

Mr. Miyamoto: It is progressing quite well, but as some of you may have heard it's often said that when I work on projects I like to "upend the tea table." So rather than promise everyone that it will be a launch title right now and then have to break that promise later, I'll just say that for now it is not a launch title. It will definitely be there within the first six months.

Will the single-player mode in Smash Bros. be the same as in the GameCube version?

Mr. Sakurai: No, we're going to change it. I think we're going to make a single player mode that people can enjoy a little bit more than in past versions.

Mr. Miyamoto: This is actually something that Mr. Sakurai and I have had a difference of opinion on since the very first Smash Bros. game. Mr. Sakurai always wanted to have a very deep single-player game. On the N64 version, I said, "We have plenty of very deep single-player games. Why don't we just hurry up and finish the multiplayer, and not worry about the single-player mode?" Mr. Sakurai said, "No, I want to have some kind of single-player mode in there." So, I came back and said, "Just make it short and focus on multiplayer so we can get the game done." This time around, we have a lot of time to focus on Smash Bros. so you can expect a very robust single-player game.

Did Nintendo approach Konami about putting Snake in Super Smash Bros., or was it the other way around?

Mr. Sakurai: Actually what really brought about the Snake character goes back to a conversation I had back when I was developing Smash Bros. for GameCube, when Hideo Kojima contacted me and practically begged me to put Snake in the game. But at that time we were already deep in development and I was thinking that we weren't going to be able to get him in there. I told him that it was too bad he hadn't brought it up earlier, and that was the end of the story.

When this project came up, because I had been in contact with him back then, we re-initiated talks and decided to put Snake into the game.

Mr. Miyamoto: Mr. Sakurai's discussions were really more on a personal level with Mr. Kojima than on a corporate level. But obviously a lot of people have been interested in getting other characters in the game. A big part of it is having someone that you can trust to take care of your character and make sure that it turns out well. There are possibilities for other characters to appear in the game as well, and it's possible that there are corporate discussions going on now about what other characters may appear. But, maybe we’ll be talking about that another day!

Click here to learn more about Super Smash Bros. Brawl at the Super Smash Bros. Dojo website

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Haha.... I LOL'd when snake appeared. <3 boxs. This game looks great.

Biske

Reaction score
I find that really interesting that Hidea Kojima "begged" for Nin to let Snake into Smash Bro. Maybe that means better relations with him and maybe a port of some Metal Gear games over to the Wii.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I've heard rumor/talk of a possible new Metal Gear series taking advantage of the Wii hardware. Then again, E3 is rumor city, be it true or false.

_JaKE

Reaction score
OMG YOU BEAT ME TO IT.

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GETTING THIS THE DAY IT COMES TO MY LOCAL EBGAMES!!!!!!!!

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
:( i hate this generation of systesm, i am at a total lost on what to get :(

_JaKE

Reaction score
well if ur rich, ps3.
if ur low on cash, wii.
if ur a moron, 360.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
_JaKE said:
if ur a moron, 360.
I have a 360...

bet no one knows where meta knight is from.

Masahiro Sakurai, former HAL Laboratories employee and creator of Kirby and the Super Smash Bros. series, has been announced as the director for the game.[3]

An IGN article states that "as of May 2005, the game's development staff consisted of exactly one person, Sakurai himself" and that there is an office in Tokyo just for the development of Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The article also states that an unknown company whose employees spent a lot of time playing the game is being brought into the development team, and the team will have access to all the original material and tools from the development of Super Smash Bros. Melee.[4]
The various Mario models that have appeared throughout the franchise.
Enlarge
The various Mario models that have appeared throughout the franchise.

On Wednesday, May 10, 2006, at the After-Hours Press Conference at E3 2006, Nintendo revealed that the next game's name would be Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Although unconfirmed, by images within the game's trailer it seems that new stages will include Meta-Knight's airship, the Halberd, from Kirby Super Star and what appears to be a darkened castle, probably from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance or the recently announced Fire Emblem (Wii) as it shows the Daein crest.

Miyamoto and Sakurai, who were there to make the announcement, also confirmed that the game would have full compatibility with the GameCube controller. Sakurai stated that the reason was because he did not want to "alienate those familiar with the pad." It was confirmed by IGN that it will not use the Wii's motion sensing features because "We found that trying to implement too much motion-sensory functionality can get in the way of the game," said Sakurai.

In the E3 trailer it is also shown that puppies from Nintendogs will be an item in the game that will most likley veil the screen for a few seconds.

Videos also suggest new battle mechanics, such as "super smash" character moves that are triggered by the collection of emblem items.

The inclusion of Konami-created character Solid Snake may seem as a conflict of the Smash Bros. paradigm; to only include characters from games made by Nintendo and their second parties (ie. HAL Laboratory), but Sakurai stated that Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima "practically begged" for Snake to be included in the next Smash Bros. game (which, at the time of said "begging", was Super Smash Bros. Melee, but production of the game was already too far in to make the addition viable). And, according to some arguments on the internet, the inclusion of Solid Snake is plausible, considering the first Metal Gear was released on the NES and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was released exclusively for the GameCube (and the latter featured cameo appearances from Nintendo icons Mario and Yoshi). Snake's level is rumored to be atop a plane, though this is unconfirmed

Famed Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu contributed the main theme of the game. It is unknown whether he will be composing additional tracks. [5]

Japanese fans are currently being asked to submit their desired characters and themes to Nintendo's website, the most popular of which will be incorporated into the game. It is currently unknown if this will eventually be opened for overseas fans as well.[6]

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm not a fan of SSBM much as I used to be. Back in the old days, we'd fire it up, choose our characters, battle and such...

but then I realized later that the game is incredibly unbalanced and wave dashing makes life harder for others...

That's why I imagine online to be players choosing the handful of super fast characters, while DK or Bowser will never get used.

Of course online opens up new possibilities. No more games where you have to fight armies of stupid orcs. Instead you can just get the human AI to replace them.

I'm more interested in strategy games, but I'm interested in seeing all the new faces in SSBB.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Revelade said:
I'm not a fan of SSBM much as I used to be. Back in the old days, we'd fire it up, choose our characters, battle and such...

but then I realized later that the game is incredibly unbalanced and wave dashing makes life harder for others...

That's why I imagine online to be players choosing the handful of super fast characters, while DK or Bowser will never get used.
Honestly, I used to play like SSB and I would pwn Fox with Mario. Especially from a friend who would have crazy agility battles after watching Fragon Ball Z. I used to play DK back in SSB, in SSBM he still has his pluses. As long as you are crafty with him. The only strength and high endurance hero I am good with is Yoshi, because of his Down and A attack can do like 54% damage easily.

L

Laharl

Meta Knight... Isn't he from a Kirby game for SNES? I remember there being a something knight from there. I mean if you swallowed him you would get the sword weapon? If so he was pretty cool.

I'm officially starting to really love Nintendo. Not only are they (apparently) releasing the same old quality I have come to expect from them, but are sometimes surpassing my expectations.

Big-Fat-Homo, the Nintendo fan boy.

By the way, could somebody please post a list of characters expected to appear in this game?

Biske

Reaction score
It's still in the works, so they haven't dropped a complete character list yet, but I figure we can expect all of the oldies returning atleast.