Olympics: what will you be watching?

tKeR

Member!
Reaction score
No, it's entirely legit. All of the Chinese had errors. Their performances were sub-par in comparison to the last two beam performances of the Americans. Yet the Americans received lower scores, and even managed to land a trick that the Chinese messed up on! ****ing ridiculous.
I was actually quoting Johnny there..

In reply to your post Dark Blade, I felt that too because China is the host city. China has been VERY controversial and even till this day with their national anthem girl lip-syncing, to the fireworks being computer graphics. I just finished watching the gymnastics as well and China made more errors than the states on floorwork. Their choreography and showmanship was better than the USA but I felt the judges turned a blind eye on some of the slips. If China is caught with bribery of the judges, that would shatter their reputation as a country and the reputation of their athletes.

tKeR

Member!
Reaction score
I think the Tibetans and their supporters are way ahead of you there :p.

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
And yes, Phelps is amazing. He probably should've competed in just about everything.

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
No, it's entirely legit. All of the Chinese had errors. Their performances were sub-par in comparison to the last two beam performances of the Americans. Yet the Americans received lower scores, and even managed to land a trick that the Chinese messed up on! ****ing ridiculous.
In gymnastics, difficulty is weighed much heavier than performance. As long as the routine is hard you'll likely get a high score even if you make a bunch of mistakes. Opposite of synch. diving, where you can do the toughest **** in the world but if you splash you won't get a decent score, whereas, for example, the men's chinese team simply dove in (no flips or spins) and managed to get a perfect 10 across the board.

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
In gymnastics, difficulty is weighed much heavier than performance. As long as the routine is hard you'll likely get a high score even if you make a bunch of mistakes. Opposite of synch. diving, where you can do the toughest **** in the world but if you splash you won't get a decent score, whereas, for example, the men's chinese team simply dove in (no flips or spins) and managed to get a perfect 10 across the board.
Don't try to lecture me on something I already know, thanks. My complaints still stand.

tKeR

Member!
Reaction score
Hmm, I actually like the men's team synch. diving performance. But you are right, judges will nitpick every small error and it's been like that for as long as these Olympic sports existed. It is basically so it doesn't become like the NBA Dunk Contest.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
I'm watching volleyball right now. Makes me wonder where people like Russians practice volleyball when it's real gold. I can understand they can practice indoors but padding is a lot different to a sand playfield. An indoor sand field? Maybe. That would be pretty awesome.

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
And apparently they made the American gymnasts wait longer than they should. I smell a conspiracy.

tKeR

Member!
Reaction score
No, you are finding things to make into a conspiracy. When it's obvious, then people will notice, but don't trouble yourself into being a detective.
On a side note, China teams have a slight advantage on outdoors play because of the environment. I saw many teams look exhausted because of the hot/smoggy weather.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Hot and smoggy weather usually doesn't mean a difference. When the Winter Olympics come to Vancouver, do you seriously think Canada will be the one scoring the medals?

tKeR

Member!
Reaction score
No but Beijing is completely different from the previous hosts. Air pollution in China is noticeable, even with the naked eye. The air pollution makes a HUGE difference in performance in athletes, and this is an advantage for the Chinese because they train in this environment. Many countries have their athletes rest in different countries (Japan, Hong Kong) until their event just so they can compete healthy.
Air pollution is serious business for soccer players, and runners alike.
An environment like Beijing can even make the immune system and respiratory system of a athlete into a pack-a-day smoker. I did not make that up, it's a fact.

"'I think we will see a performance hit of around 15 to 20 per cent on athletes and animals alike,' he said. 'We will see most problems with endurance events. For instance, we might see fast 100m sprints as the effects are less but I'd be amazed if we saw a new marathon world record.'"

Source: Beijing smog will 'cut athletes' performances by 20%' | Mail Online

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
No, you are finding things to make into a conspiracy. When it's obvious, then people will notice, but don't trouble yourself into being a detective.
On a side note, China teams have a slight advantage on outdoors play because of the environment. I saw many teams look exhausted because of the hot/smoggy weather.
Actually, it's what the coach said. It makes sense, too. Since the first girl was waiting there way longer than the others now that I think about it.

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
"If you gave up on season 2, come back because it's good again" - Some Journal

Was surprised to see that on the commercial.