Monogamy!

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
All animals love and protect their offspring - the difference is that they cant take care of them for as long as they live, mainly because they have new "babies" waaaaaaay more often than humans (and the cat story is a true one, Bam).

amrtin77

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
not nessicarily true.. some animals will die to protect their children and some will eat their children for their own survival. i stand corrected on my previous statement... it does depend on the animal

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Gala, I never said I don't believe you. It just sounded familiar to me.

Here's the thing, many, if not all, things in the world are based off opinion. There are those who believe that monogamy is the best. And that's what I believe. As for what is actually best, I once agian concede that we may not know until we pass into the next life what the true answer is.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Yes, but the question is not about monogamy being good, bad or best. It is about monogamy being "natural" (or instinctive if you like) for humans or "forced".

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
If monogamy is natural and therfore instinctive, is polygamy the result of free will?

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
what exactly is free will? can anyone be sure humans dont act purely on instinct? maybe we just think were controlling ourselves, but were not. i personally believe all animals have free will, but you should take it into consideration :\

77th post (again) :D YEAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Going back and forth between two different threads, we finally mixed them, Amrtin:D

This is the thread about human nature being monogamous or not
(why is it that when we talk about human nature we tend to involve animals in the conversation? )

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Me...I don't know. I believe that animals are below us, and therefore different. But..whatever...

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
lol we did mix them didnt we... we could probably combine them and no one wold notice :D

Raven

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
monogamy is not natural, its only natural when it is beneficial for all involved like with some species of bird where the father has to look after the mother and chick. in all other cases including humans mogomay isnt natural cause the mother can take care of the child herself.

Redsparrow2

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I say that it is forced on us because people say that only being with one woman is how it should be and if u noticed people have passed the idea from parent to child and it is mainly ingraved in our heads to the point when if we tried to be with someone else it feels strange but some guys like me who dont want to hump everything that moves like the wannabe playas u see in schools just look and hell i have been complaind to by friends that i shouldnt be doin that but as the quote from my favorite movie series American Ninja was said "Hey, jus because your on a diet doesn't mean u cant look at the menu"

So in the end i say its forced

tallica64

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
my friend

im not sure i know what your asking but if you are asking if two persons that are madly in love with each other getting married is forced then no. who or what is forceing them? there have been cases of shotgun weddings where i live here in kentucky but that was a long time ago:)

yogibear990

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if you're going from the Scientific viewpoint... for males, polygamy is natural and instincitive - we have the ability (I am a male) - and for females, more so Monogamous... which doesn't make sense, as there are more women then men, but I guess thats a part of our society today, that has allowed more women to live, as a lot of women would have died in the day when the men would let the women starve before themselves - Science aside, it does promote better relationships (as long as your women doesn't try and stop you looking!!! it is virtually impossible). My personal belief is that Monogamy is the only way, it is much easier (ask any man with more then one wife - one wife is hard to handle, imagine 10!!!)

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Even though I have been happily married for fifteen years, I personally believe that monogamy is forced upon us.
But forced upon us by our own free will, not society, upbringing, or instinct.
I don't foresee leaving my wife for another, I don't think it's in me to take that that path in the first place. But I will admit to the occasional thought while looking at some well endowed beach bunny. This I believe is human nature, but the ability to fight such urges is another part of human nature. How human nature, free will, and instict can be defined as to their particular roles in all this would be a thread in itself.
(I may regret that suggestion)

Thank you Galatia for making us think.

KillThePreppies

Member!
Reaction score
Apherius said:
The animalistic urges to procreate are instinctual and therefore nonvoluntary. It requires the voluntary and willful response to achieve monogamy. The rules of man are against nature because nature achieves balance through chaos and order, while humans intend on replacing chaos with a preset order to avoid the effects of chaos: ie revolutions, adultery, incest.
There is no such thing as chaos. It's only order so complex that humans cannot comprehend it. It's called the Chaos Theory.

Biske

Reaction score
That's purely mathmatical though...which COULD relate to life, EVENTUALLY, seeing as math is the....bla bla bla!

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
KillThePreppies said:
There is no such thing as chaos. It's only order so complex that humans cannot comprehend it. It's called the Chaos Theory.
That's not true. First, the chaos theory is that one that says that one butterfly in Japan can cause a hurricane in the US, because of a series of complex happenings. In that, you were true.

Now, chaos is a fact. Quantum Physics deal with it everyday. The movements of the electrons are completly chaotics. However, you can determine the probability one electron will be at the desired place. But that's all, probability.

Anyway, I suppose people always prefered poligamy because of religious affairs. I don't know, never give a thought about it. As you all know, very few religious cults allow(ed) poligamy (only one I can recall is the Islam). And no god praticted it (they cheated their wifes, but it was outside the marriage). So, all I can say is that, in order to be fair, those who created the gods made sure that no man (as it was a very machist society) could be superior to others in a way that he could have more wifes.

Maohmed blew it, possibly because of his education as christian (I think he lived some years near them), and he saw the celibate priests. He didn't like it, wonder why :p

Gah, I'm sorry for the huge typos, too many hard words on english :(

KillThePreppies

Member!
Reaction score
I'm aware of the research on quantum particles, but I remain confident that someday we will discover their patterns. Just an opinion, not really debatable.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Actually, I think it has been proved to be that the pattern, there is none. But, of course, it's only a theroy, not a law. Let's hope they can :)