I want to try DotA... beginner's guide anyone?

frootluips

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Just get and install WC3: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne
Download map from Official DotA Allstars : Downloads (sorry if you're not allowed to provide links from other sites)
and put it into (X:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Maps\Downloads) where X is the letter of the drive you installed warcraft.
And you should be able to play on Bnet.

Peace out,
Frootluips.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
it's ok to provide link for dota or other maps, it's not ok to provide links for keys, hacks, warez, etc.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
I also find it kinda funny that nobody brought up that the guide gets outdated the moment a defining patch is released.

narcotix666

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Just play with an Insane AI.. sometimes its better to than playing with a bunch of noobs on Bnet..

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
AI are often too predictable. The AI maps are designed to give you a "beta test" for strategies or how to use a hero. They lack the adaptability and resistance a human player has.

_WaRLoRD_

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
when you play i suggest you play a hero who is very high hp and has a good regen, husker, is pretty noob friendly and easy to understand, and pudge does require skill but its something u can easily pick up how to aim hes hook, and he's not very item dependent so even if ur playing crap you can still be a good help to your team without items. and everyone knows his build so just ask,

2 x ring of regen, helm of iron will, planewalkers cloak = hood of defiance
they fuse to give you more magic resistance since ur rot does amgic dmg to u and neerby enemys,

then all u need is scepter travels and heart then basically what ever u think u should get :D

helpermonkey883

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
start off by installing the clients

then ask your friends to teach you, if they r busy,

then this is the actual guide, u pick any hero and stick with it until u r bored of it, u buy anything that u think is useful, after doing that, most likely the pros will either call u nub or ask u why did that buy that certain item and etc.

that way u know what to buy and what not to for ur hero, also sticking to 1 hero for a long time is gd because u can see other human playerred heroes in action, u can see how they use it and what do they buy

from there on, u can stop using ur default hero and start using other heroes,buy items for ur new hero and therefore the items that u buy will probably be what u saw when other peeps used the hero WHEN you were using your default hero.

this is what i did, so i m kind of messed up but i can survive the *cough*mean community there