I want to try DotA... beginner's guide anyone?

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I've run this forum for a year now, and I've still not managed to try any of the Blizzard games :p. Never did get what's so addicting about them anyways.

But I'm willing to give it a try and see what the fuzz is all about. So anyone have any ideas how I can start :)?

Just want to try DotA first and see what it's all about. What do I buy and what do I need to get started?

Thanks,
Donny

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
well u need the warcraft 3 + frozen throne expansion

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Ok cool. Can i just pick that up at my local walmart / superstore? And is the frozen throne thing separate or does it all come in 1 package?

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
u need to buy seperate unless u get the battlechest witch is the best thing to get imo

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
what? i can't believe this, your a gamer since you run a game forum and yet you dont know anything about blizzard games. blizzard is probably the best company in making pc games. or is it because your just 15 and too young to know those old blizz games. ^^

my suggestion is not to play dota right away. feel the warcraft game first, so just buy and play the campaigns or single missions of warcraft III first then you can buy the expansion warcraft III: forzen throne and play its campaign as well.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Spend a day getting a hang of the way the game engine works, then jump into the game. You don't really need to know anything else about the game that you can't learn through time playing the game.

The first 100 games or so are going to suck so very very bad for you, because you won't understand the heroes, won't know the spells or item combonations, so on and so forth. Those all just take time to learn, and pretty much only time.

Theroy

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
Don't play DOTA.

TrOiK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have never found dota fun i like tower defense andd sheep tag :p

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
jus know how to do last hits on the computer units (this way you can get 50~ gold each kill), and denying your allies (this way your opponent gets ~50% experience each kills)

After you can do that fairly well (100 non neutral creep kills on ur creep stats in 30 minutes would be decent), then you're on your way of becoming a good dota player

you jus need to play the game. A lot. To understand how the flow of the game works, and what you should be doing for the team, etc... as for the heroes, you'll see their spells are interconnected with each other to perform certain combos, and eventually it will all come to you when you jus keep playing the game. Everyone seems to have their own item builds for each heroes, so I guess that's really up to you to decide. Just make sure you get the items that will best work with hero's abilities.

Also, play smart. If you're playing in 5v5 (which is how a normal dota game should be played as), and you see none of your opponents on your minimap... then you should take extra caution as they could be coming for you for a gank (dota-term where 2+ players will "ambush" on 1 or more enemy heroes). Also, carry town portals. It costs 135 gold which can be quite costly in the beginning, but it will save you the long walks or save you from near-death situations at times. You can also teleport instantly across the map for a gank or to help the team out. And 135 gold.. thats about 2.5 creep kill worth of gold.. and you get 4 creeps per wave in the beginning (every 30 seconds, creeps will spawn at each of the base)

So, in conclusion: just play a LOT. I've probably played... 1500++ dota games so far, and I personally don't think I'm even that good really, probably decent? It seems that those people playing dota professional seem to have played the game over 10k times sometimes.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
I think the key to learning DotA, or melee in general, is the same way you learn how in many cases: Research. If you research before hand what works, and what doesn't. You can cut the learning curve drastically. That is how I managed to get far in Diablo II Zy-el, and any games in general. Hell, if you /profile Okamizu_sama@Azeroth, you will find I played almost 4000 games of Melee. I can be very helpful if you wish to learn Melee, and so can Theroy.

If you want to learn how to play, first find out about what heroes interest you. Are you into rangers, melee guys. Then look at the Allstar database, and check out the spells for the heroes. Then actually play the game, via trial and error and see how you do. If you think you are getting the hang of the hero, continue practicing as him or her to get the basics down. If you are having problems, try something else.

As you get better, then start finding out which item/skill builds are right for your cause. And learn to deny creeps by killing them when they are low on Life. And to pick off weakling enemy creeps so you can get the kill, and score Gold faster.

I recommend doing allpick games until you get the hang of what is good, and what isn't. Allrandom is mostly for people that can adapt fast, or are generalists when it comes to DotA.

And if there is an opportunity, and you have checked for any dangers, then take it and hope for the best. Because it is a common strategy to take advantage of others who least expect it, or are unprepared.

I personally learned the game this way, using mainly Strength, melee heroes as my forte.
It was when I played as Lycan that I started getting the hang of things. And don't forget to read the spells carefully to make sure you know how they work. That way, you don't blow an ultimate on something that is unnecessary. And you dont stack orb bonuses on top of each other.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
I got so tired of war3 that I don't even enter bnet, and you're talking me about dota? War3 is soo enuff

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
I got so tired of war3 that I don't even enter bnet, and you're talking me about dota? War3 is soo enuff
no one talked to you about dota.. lawls

well SnY stacks with Life leech, and eye of skadi isnt an orb if you're ranged...

desolator and feedbacks however does not stack with anything in the game.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
And some arrow spells like Cold Arrow, need to be overridden manually.

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
wc3 is the best. i dont have anything else to play since i dont have a good pc and ps3 and ps2. so i play dota and wc3 most of the time.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
You can always use your Virtual Console on the PS3 to get PSX games.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
My friend did this recently. I think you can connect the PS3 to an online store, where you can get PSX games - which get stashed in the PS3's memory.

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
i dont know if you were talking to me but i dont have a ps3. and if i have a ps3 i dont think il be playing ps1 games ever again. haha