I want to try DotA... beginner's guide anyone?

Dream_Walker

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Another thing is to just not get discouraged. Whenever you're trying something new, it's going to take a bit to figure everything out. Like when you get creamed during BNET games (as opposed to using Bots, cause there are up-to-date AI maps) just don't take it so personally. If you do decide to do BNET games, I highly recommend you inform your team that you are new, and like communicate with them. Ask for what items are good to get, or good builds. If you don't and wait until half way into the game (where it's most likely already been decided who's going to win) then they are just going to get pissed off at you.

So yeah, communicate with your team, don't be shy, etc. And don't take shit too personally if it's your first few games.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
And one of your friends we played with, no offense, had severe courage problems.

You also shouldn't be worried about record in the early goings. I have gotten my share of 0-5s and 1-9s before. And yet, there are few games where I go 11-3 or 7-0. But that doesn't matter, because when the Tree of Eternity or the Lich King falls, everyone on your team suffers the same win/loss.

You can use the Post your Dota Hero thread to help out a bit. Even though it's old, some of the builds are still existant today.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
And one of your friends we played with, no offense, had severe courage problems.

You also shouldn't be worried about record in the early goings. I have gotten my share of 0-5s and 1-9s before. And yet, there are few games where I go 11-3 or 7-0. But that doesn't matter, because when the Tree of Eternity or the Lich King falls, everyone on your team suffers the same win/loss.

You can use the Post your Dota Hero thread to help out a bit. Even though it's old, some of the builds are still existant today.
I think its safe to say all of the builds used there are outdated/not the best one. But then again.. anything goes in pub games.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
I'm still the best at DOATZ ask me anything.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
I think its safe to say all of the builds used there are outdated/not the best one. But then again.. anything goes in pub games.
There are builds in pub games?

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
Well some of the more obvious ones, like Orchid for Windrunner or SY for SB.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I always liked AoS and Defense games.

But yes, spend a few days going through the campaign and learning everything first. And yes, your going to suck.

FrankGulp

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
You know, the bad thing about dota is that when you're a newbie your team will hate you almost always, but you must perservere and keep practicing, learning, being aware of new strategies and copying the things the pro's do to get you killed

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
When you are a newbie there are few simple things you should do:

• don't enter 'Dota pro only' games (even if they are not all proz they are not so newbish) in comparison to other games like TD pro only that are still noobs
• enter 'Dota noobs only' games or don't leave when it doesn't have <---- that title

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Oh please! Those are created to keep people out, yet it does a terrible job in the process. I have entered noob only games, only to find a pro-like player getting 15-0 off people. And vice versa in the pro only games.

The only people who need those parameters are total noobs.

If you want to play DotA for the way it is, just play it. If you don't like having completely retarded players joining your games, then join a DotA clan and create clan-only games. CAL and TDA I believe are clans that do this.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
or join a clan and play inhouse!

phosureee

Reaction score
^ that's a load of sdhlajdla
dotA is so much fun
tower defense and such is fun but nothing compared to dotA!

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
here i found some great guide for you,,
just follow the link
COME AGAIN?? Paying for a GUIDE???? LMAO a person must be very retarded to waste a dollar on that. Cmon I can give you several non-top players will teach you prolly almost everything in that guide for free. $27 for a TEXT Omfg... Well there are idiots over the internet, you never know who will buy one. SO THAT ALL SEE

ChrisH36

Reaction score
yea, like orchid for windrunner lolol
You do realize that was sarcasm right lol.

And why would you pay 27 dollars for a "Dota for Dummies* book? I could probably download that for free somewhere.

Pandaren

Premium Member
Reaction score
Why pay for something that you can learn by watching replays from some Dota leagues for free. Plus each version of Dota brings something new(most of the times) so what was good in this guide could be pretty useless in the present situation.

tornadorex

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah... I wouldn't say "retarded" since it's in poor taste, but paying for a guide is pretty pointless as it only takes a day or two to get the general "hang" of DotA.

ElimDK

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Play with someone who's patient and willing to teach you.