Has Playstation 3 lost the battle already?

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Found this a fairly interesting read. The next-generation DVD format, exploding batteries and price seem to have fueled some rather interesting comments, and this one stood out for me.

PlayStation 3: The suffering

Don’t be fooled because this isn’t the story of a destructive game for Sony’s next-generation console – it’s the story of PlayStation 3 itself.

Sony’s console started out as a favorite in the battle of the consoles, but it’s been stumbling over this past year and it seems to have lost its way towards the number one spot. After Microsoft took advantage of Sony’s lack of zeal a year ago, becoming the first company to launch a next-generation console, everybody, starting with gamers and analysts, was expecting Sony to go head over heels and counter attack PlayStation 3 in March 2006.

Sony however had to find a solution to another conflict, the Blu-Ray versus HD-DVD dispute to be more specific. Because of problems the Blu-Ray format was raising, March 2006 came and instead of PS3, the Japanese company offered a new delay and a new promise: PlayStation 3 would make a grand entrance in November 2006, at an international level. Cynics were quick to see problems ahead and it would seem they were not mistaken as Sony has not been able to keep its promise.

Sony managed to complicate its life once again in September, this time because of the Blu-Ray unit. Instead of the promised worldwide launch, Sony announced it would limit itself to Japan and the US. The company also had to reduce the number of units it would deliver by the end of the year, changing the initial 2 million figure to 400,000 units for the US and 100,000 for Japan.

All these postponements and adjustments are nothing though compared to the problems Sony has been dealing with since its Japanese launch. The consoles hardly arrived in the welcoming hands of gamers when Sony was struck by another calamity. According to information announced by Japanese media, PlayStation2 titles are not entirely compatible with PlayStation3, although Sony had stated repeatedly that titles created for the former console will work perfectly on the next-generation one. Reality shows something else though: 200 titles don’t work on PlayStation 3 and what’s worse, it’s important games like Final Fantasy or Gran Turismo that are affected.

Even if PS3’s story is starting to resemble a succession of disasters and disappointments, the Japanese company has succeeded in selling approximately 88,000 consoles in just a few days, which is almost 90% of the Japanese market’s portion.

PlayStation 3 is nevertheless far from being a triumph for Sony and that is because of several reasons. First of all, the number of new games available during this launch period is not large and despite efforts, Sony has not managed to come up with more new titles. Secondly, it is still unclear whether Sony will be successful in reaching its objective of delivering 400,000 consoles in the US. Analysts seem to think that the American market will not receive more than 200,000 units.

Add to all this the huge price of $600 (Sony had to announce a 20% discount in Japan) and you will have a complete perspective of the complex situation PlayStation 3 is entangled in. If at least these internal difficulties were the sole problems… in a matter of days, Sony will face the attack of Nintendo Wii, the console that was given no chances whatsoever a year ago.

Nintendo Wii does have a couple of arguments though that could turn it into the iceberg that sinks the titanic PlayStation 3. It has the lowest price, $250, it brings a revolutionary controller that redefines a gamer’s interaction with games and, most importantly, it has no supply problems.

Nintendo announced today that it would only deliver its product to Japan, where the console will be launched on December 2nd; 400,000 units that add up to four times the quantity PlayStation 3 was able to bring. Nintendo has not revealed the number of consoles it would provide the American market with, but considering the fact that company officials have promised 4 million units by the end of the year, the math shouldn’t be that hard to do.

Even though, by straightforward comparison, PlayStation 3 is undeniably superior to Nintendo Wii, the small, lively console from Nintendo has an additional advantage: it’s for gamers of all types. Whether passionate or not, well-to-do or not, anyone can acquire a Wii. There are only four more days before the launch of Nintendo Wii in the US and that is when more problems will arise for Sony and its PlayStation3. Sony’s ambition to transform PlayStation 3 in Blu-Ray’s main promoter has been obvious all along, even to the point of thinking that Blu-Ray is the only thing that matters when referring to this console. Given the fact that a Blu-Ray stand-alone player costs $1000, while PS 3 costs $600, it is indeed a bargain.

In the end though, it’s all about the gaming, and in this area Sony might just be demolished by Nintendo. Merill Lynch’s analysts already deem Sony the one to lose the battle of the consoles. Analyst Yoshiyuki Kinoshita, who predicts, "The winner in the next-generation console battle is likely to be the Xbox 360, which is the leader in North America, the world’s biggest market."

Kinoshita forecasts the respective global market shares of Xbox 360 to reach 39%, PS3 at 34% and Wii at 27%, "...thus overturning Sony’s domination of the market with its PS2-based share of 69 percent, and doubling Microsoft and Nintendo’s respective market shares." Is this the beginning of the end for Sony PlayStation’s 3?​

Source: PlayStation 3: The suffering, playfuls.com, November 15, 2006

[edit] This video makes it only look nice... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sknTNbM8vTo

simpleforce

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i just think $600 is a nasty price to pay. Why not 250$ and get to play classic games like zelda and the new ssbm

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Nice find.

I'm going to have to agree on the price as well. Though Blu-Ray is indeed a marvelous feature to have on a gaming console, it's really only going to attract the die-hard, wealthier gamers, mostly the ones that already have the television, and hardware to back all of it's main features. =/

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Most people now a days that can afford a PS3 though are going to be getting Blue Ray Playters/

Even though the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 is GARBAGE.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Just uh...Believe me on this. I can't really explain it other than it looks pretty shoddy compared to whats going to come out.

It's a firstgen Blu-Ray player. It's good now, but a few years from now, theres going to be 5th and 6th gen's that will blow it out of the water for around 400$

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I doubt that I would buy a blu-ray or hd-dvd player anyway. I'm guessing that eventually, with each new iteration of dvd player, the image quality increase isn't even going to be noticable to the human eye. If I care enough about film to want really good image quality, I'd probably just see it in a theater.

mag_dtd8

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
but theatres suck. what if the person next to you smells bad.

yah 600$ USD is wayyy too muchh.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
but theatres suck. what if the person next to you smells bad.
That's all part of the theater experience. I often wish that smelly people would sit next to me and talk loudly while I'm trying to watch a movie at home.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Bluray is going down the sink, as is Hd. There is just no ****ing point to it. I give it another 10 years, and we wont even have disks. Hard drives > actual DVDs. I dont thik ive watched a movie from a DVD is over 5 months, and I've watched 100 movies in that time.

[Koolaid]

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
That color and graphics looks pretty fantastic. The price is unreal.. And if im not mistaken the Wii is only 279.99

The price of Sony PsP's Entertainment pack.

Nintendo has got this in the bag.

Demon Child

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.Zerogamers.com
PS3 is now in it for the money, although I will gladly pay the 600$, it is a tad over priced for a gaming console, just hope it does its job for that amount of money...Even though it will "fail" our expectations of what we really wanted it to be.

Nicholas The Slide

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My family is looking into getting a Blu-Ray DVD player, and considering the PS3 saves mroe money than the Wii itself costs, (plus, i just think zelda games are boring as hell, yes even OOT), the PS3 is not overpriced at all. And I disagree that 4th and 5th gen blu-ray systems will "blow the first gen ones out of the water". The main DVD player we use is a Denon from when I was in 5th grade (I'm in 12th now), and its a the same, if not better quality one then the much newer mitsubishi one that is on the basement TV (quality = picture/sound). So no, if people look at this in an educated way, then the price doesnt even seem all that bad.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
It's a firstgen Blu-Ray player. It's good now, but a few years from now, theres going to be 5th and 6th gen's that will blow it out of the water for around 400$
uhm, thats just like anything though. Computers, yous pend 1000+ dollars, in a few years, theres things out that blow that computer out of the water. Gaming consols [as far back as there existance goes], are badass at first, then, in a few years, theres something new that blowst hem out of the water.

So no, if people look at this in an educated way, then the price doesnt even seem all that bad.
if people looked at it in an educational way, then theyd realize that if they could hold off for a few months and not buy it the instant it releases, it would have major bugs fixed, and would be probably 200+ dollars cheaper. THATS thinking educated.

and yes, 600 dollars for a gaming consol and no games? thats ****ing rediculous.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
uhm, thats just like anything though. Computers, yous pend 1000+ dollars, in a few years, theres things out that blow that computer out of the water. Gaming consols [as far back as there existance goes], are badass at first, then, in a few years, theres something new that blowst hem out of the water.
But thast the point. Sony has said they're not going to need to make anything past the PS3. One of the big selling features is the Blu-Ray drive, when by christmas there are going to be some (one or two) Blu-Ray DVD players that are 2x better.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sony said there not going to make another gaming consol? i dont care who says that, it could be god themselves, you know damn well once technology in graphics advances, theyll have a PS4 ready ~.~

and also a little rant that derived fromt his thread that i had to post:

[20:43] Dragnskull: "lets pay 600 bucks for a PS3 the day it releases, and yes i already know about the huge problems its having and the very select games its going to release with, but i want it anyways"
[20:43] Dragnskull: i mean, u buy it on day1, you get an expensive product with 10 games to choose from to buy ONTOP of the 600 you spent for the consol, not to mention the consol breaks on you when you try to play it and of corse sony isnt offering a refund of any type
[20:44] Dragnskull: or, you buy it on month 6, its now half price, and hteyve fixed allt he problems, and now you have 100 games to choose from, and some of hte best are considered "Greatest hits" and are cheaper now
[20:44] Dragnskull: and you still have never played any of htem before, so there as good to you now as when they were first released
[20:44] Dragnskull: ~.~

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Considering that 6 months from now the PS3 will still be 600$ there goes most of your agruement.

Sony has said themselves, that the PS3 is the last step of console gaming, until VR becomes a reality. It's true. There isn't much else thats left.

Also, Sony has is giving everyone a warranty with the PS3's. You'de be stupid not to get an extended one via your retailer as well.

So please, don't even TRY to debate this kind of stuff with me. Theres maybe four people on this site that are actually up to date with the whole Console thing. Thats me, BAM, Pan and oh yeah, no one else. And BAM is probably more on the whole "nintendo only" side.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
10 bucks says in half a year hte ps3's price drops by at least 200 bucks. history repeats itself...time and time and time and time and time again.

also keep in mind that there will be used ps3's at gamestops and whatnot, along with price drops in games [i dont even want to kno what games willc ost on the initial release]

so actually, my argument is not lost, because even if the consol somehow DOES retain its 600 dollar price tag [which i still find highly HIGHLY unlikely] everything else will go cheaper one way or another.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
You wait 6 months, and the PS3 price isn't going to drop. Sony isn't dropping the price for a loooooong ass time.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
=/ well it will drop reletivly soon, and even once again if not, theres still used/refurbished systems which are always cheaper