Has Playstation 3 lost the battle already?

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Sony has made it very clear that there arn't price drops any time soon

face it:

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
=/ well it will drop reletivly soon, and even once again if not, theres still used/refurbished systems which are always cheaper
No, they won't. Go ahead and buy your 'used/refurbished' system. I'de rather pay fullprice for a system, rather than buy one that you have no idea what someone did with it.

I never said that game wouldn't drop in prices. Of course they will. The starter tag is gonna be 59.99 like 360 games. But thtas besides the point, the point was that the Playstation 3 will NOT have it's price dropped for AT LEAST a year. Maybe sometime next year before christmas they'll cut it fown ~100$, but they're already at a HUGE loss with it being 600$

Arxces

Member!
Reaction score
Sony is playing loss-leader with their PS3. It'd be a risky move to drop the price in under 1 1/2 years, especially with such limited launch titles, as they won't be making enough on their games to justify a price drop in the consoles. Add the fact thay they cover all units with a warranty, and the financial risk is too big, even for Sony, to drop the price anytime soon.

I think most people who aren't ultra hard-core gamers will probably wait until there is a price drop, or until there are more games until they get a PS3. Or they get a Wii. I know I would...

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I'm getting both.

Why? Because I'm Wealthy squared to the tenth power times four.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, there are quite a few negatives and pessimists...

Silicon Insider: Gamers Are Tech's Hottest Game

While the PC Market Flounders, Video Game Makers Have Become the Most Competitive Business in the Tech World

By MICHAEL S. MALONE

Nov. 16, 2006 — - God, why can't personal computers be as interesting as video game players?

Teenagers already get all of the cool new applications, so how come they also get all the best new hardware?

If you are under 25, the following story, dating to last Saturday, is already old news. But for the rest of you, here's the latest news from the world of video games:

Last weekend in Tokyo, Sony Corp. finally put on sale its new -- much-anticipated and much-delayed -- PlayStation 3 game console.

The PS3 has been something of a nightmare for Sony.

For nearly a decade, with the PS1 and PS2, Sony has ruled the video game player business, perpetually keeping its two estimable competitors, veteran Nintendo and newcomer Microsoft, in its wake through an unbeatable combination of performance, price and content.

The other two companies, despite having top-notch offerings of their own, have never been able to compete in more than two of these categories.

When Sony added to that good market timing, it managed to turn the game player business into the most innovative and dynamic in all of tech.

But with the PS3, Sony stumbled. It went for a home run to crush the competition and managed only to hit a foul ball.

While Sony struggled to recover, Microsoft, hardly the company one thinks of as a first-to-market type outfit (maybe THAT'S what all those Vista engineers were doing last year), managed to come out with its next generation player, the Xbox 360, in late 2005.

That not only gave it a year to pick up an estimated 10 million orders, but it also put Microsoft a year down the road in the development of its next generation player.

Even pokey old Nintendo, which marches to the beat of its own drummer -- and its own stable of loyal customers -- has managed to catch up with Sony. Next week, it will introduce its own new player, the Wii, into the U.S. market.

Sony's Ambitious, Expensive Venture

What took Sony so long?

Well, the standard explanation was that, technologically speaking, the company probably bit off a little too much this time.

Indeed, looking at the specs for the new machine, it's hard not to be impressed: a Blu-ray high-def DVD player, a 20GB hard-disk drive, and, most importantly a new CPU chip called The Cell that Sony calls a "supercomputer on a chip."

All of that will cost you just more than $400, which of course is twice the price of the new Nintendo Wii and almost 25 percent more than the Xbox 360.

But for the kind of performance the PS3 is expected to deliver, it's probably worth it.

The PS3 may not have the cool new motion-sensing hand controller of the Wii (which will enable it to be waved like a sword or light saber), but all of that processing power has got to mean fabulous graphics and the very quick downloading of games and videos.

But, if rumors are true, all of that firepower came close to being Sony's downfall.

At $425, consumers expect pretty high quality from a game console -- and shareholders a pretty good return on the company's investment.

Unfortunately, stuffing all of those expensive components into a new box and making them work right (apparently there were problems with the blue lasers) sent Sony's production costs right through the roof.

Until it could get that process under some kind of serious control, Sony's PS3 was facing the real-life version of that old joke about losing money on each unit, but hopefully making it up in volume.

Even now, production still doesn't seem entirely under control -- or at least it only recently seems to have gotten running.

According to C/Net, at the time of the Tokyo introduction, Sony was able to ship only 100,000 units -- that's just one-tenth of the million PS2s that Sony was able to sell in the first three days of that earlier machine's launch.

C/Net also predicts that Sony will only be able to ship 2 million PS3s by the end of this year, including the crucial Christmas rush, compared to the 10 million units Microsoft will have out in the world by year's end.

Gaming Is Technology's Hottest Market

So, is the PS3 worth the wait? I haven't the foggiest idea and frankly couldn't care less. Go check the usual review sites. I'm not a gamer, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

Well, actually maybe I do.

If I had my druthers, one of these three companies would get crushed by the other two. My motives are purely selfish: It would reduce by one-third the endless wheedling and negotiating I have to suffer from a 10-year-old who apparently wants every video game player ever built.

But that's just my Dad side speaking. My technologist side hopes that both the PS3 and the Wii are huge successes, and that they result in a new renaissance for the video game industry.

Further, I hope the riches the three companies make from these products spur them on to even greater glory, and another huge market collision sometime around 2009.

Why? Because the game business is just about the last really exciting consumer market in high tech.

Cell phones -- with the exception of those truly absurd Bluetooth headsets (who knew we all had Uhura in our future?) -- have been reduced to the "Battle of the Incremental Features" status.

The MP3 world seems to have settled into premature middle age -- though maybe (God help us) the new Microsoft Zune can make that business interesting again.

And the plasma TV has taken so long to get to everyday consumers that it's already boring.

What Happened to the PC Market?

And please, don't get me started on PCs.

Microsoft's long delay on the Vista operating system has been one of the biggest buzz kills in high-tech history.

It's as if all the big PC companies were waiting around for Vista to get the party going again -- and when Microsoft showed up late and forgot to bring the beer, everybody just decided to go home.

The new PC models of the last couple years have been singularly uninspiring and predictable -- not surprisingly, because nobody wanted to buy them anyway.

Instead, consumers are just shuffling about with their hands in their pockets, waiting for Godot/Vista to show up and excite PC makers into designing interesting new machines again.

But don't count on it. It's been a long time since HP and Dell took crazy risks, and it's hard to believe Vista is going to inspire them into a welcome fit of competitive fervor.

Meanwhile, bless Steve Jobs and Apple for at least trying to keep the game exciting for as long as he could.

It must have been depressing to keep hitting the ball over the net to an empty court on the other side.

But video game players are a different story. Here it's still raw competition, red tooth and claw. It's a fight to the death with every new generation -- just like in the good old days of semiconductors, calculators and the first PCs.

That competition has produced consistently brilliant new products year in and out for more than a decade. It may be hell for the people in the business, but it sure is great for the rest of us.

The latest generation of game consoles, even with the tardiness of the PS3, is far superior in terms of price, performance and quality to anything out there in the PC world.

The day is coming when the increasingly artificial barrier between game consoles and PCs is finally breached and the howling barbarians of the gamer world are unleashed on the sleepy, contented villagers of the PC world.

There will be a great bloodletting in the PC business.

And for me, that day can't come soon enough.

This work is the opinion of the columnist and in no way reflects the opinion of ABC News.

Michael S. Malone, once called the Boswell of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best-known technology writers. He has covered Silicon Valley and high-tech for more than 25 years, beginning with the San Jose Mercury News, as the nation's first daily high-tech reporter. His articles and editorials have appeared in such publications as The Wall Street Journal, the Economist and Fortune, and for two years he was a columnist for The New York Times. He was editor of Forbes ASAP, the world's largest-circulation business-tech magazine, at the height of the dot-com boom. Malone is best-known as the author or co-author of a dozen books, notably the best-selling "Virtual Corporation." Malone has also hosted three public television interview series, and most recently co-produced the celebrated PBS miniseries on social entrepreneurs, "The New Heroes." He has been the ABCNEWS.com "Silicon Insider" columnist since 2000.

Copyright © 2006 ABC News Internet Ventures​

Source: Silicon Insider: Gamers Are Tech's Hottest Game, November 16, 2006

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Most people now a days that can afford a PS3 though are going to be getting Blue Ray Playters/

Even though the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 is GARBAGE.
Wrong. people have already said it's way better than the $1200 samsung and is on par with the pioneer/philips(?) players.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Have you seen the picture quality on the PS3 compared to the pioneer systems? Didn't think so.

People don't know shit. It's all about the specs. Go pick up a Sound and Vision magazine and come back to me on that. Trust me, the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 is GARBAGE. It may look good now, but trust me when I tell you that a few months down the road you'll be wishing you bought a different player

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Ps2 dvd is shit for a DVD player, and the PS2 wasn't pushing the standard onto people. From what I was hearing the actually speeds of the drive are below that of regular DVD players.

HispanicPaulo

Member!
Reaction score
I think the whole Blue-ray idea was an add on. I guess sony didnt have anything else that was fancy to put on it, so they just slapped it on, but the quality actually looks ok, but not blue-ray material.

Speaker

Premium Member
Reaction score
display PS3s at 2 of our local super targets have already broken

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I was going to go early tommorrow morning to get one, but people have camped out. Now I'm thinking about just cutting in line and beating up any of the fags that actually waited outside all night. Camping out is cheating.

Arxces

Member!
Reaction score
And I'm guessing you have a 360 and a killer gamer's PC.

Some people are so lucky...

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I think I'll camp out in the woods and watch the sunrise. Doesn't cost 600 dollars. No long lines. Great graphics.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
And with more interactive capabilities than the WII.
Haha

I'm actually thinking of getting a wii. I usually don't get consoles, but the wii just looks sooooo cool!! Maybe when the price drops a little.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the picture quality on the PS3 compared to the pioneer systems? Didn't think so.

People don't know shit. It's all about the specs. Go pick up a Sound and Vision magazine and come back to me on that. Trust me, the Blu-Ray drive in the PS3 is GARBAGE. It may look good now, but trust me when I tell you that a few months down the road you'll be wishing you bought a different player
Well the people who have said those things actually OWNS a PS3, and have compared it with other players.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Right. And like I said, it looks good now up against the current gen players, but in a few months it's going to play like shit.

Bapes

Forever Rain
Reaction score
Website
frltd.blog125.fc2.com
=/ well it will drop reletivly soon, and even once again if not, theres still used/refurbished systems which are always cheaper
Sony stated that they are comftorable with the price of the PS3, well, that was when Ken Kutargi(?) was still the head of the PS. Now that we have a new head of the PS, we Need to see what is going to happen.

Yes, I own the PS3 and Wii and I do not consider myself a fanboy to either side.I've compared the BluRay to a DVD, and I feel I can see the colors like a normal person(Im partial colorblind). The PS3 has blown me away with graphics capabilites and the sound, but the games aren't that fun YET.The wii is much more fun in multyplayer(Super Monkey Ball=P) and the Mii channel is fun until you make 1 Mii. This is all I have to say on this topic; it's too early to predict if the PS3 lost. For all we know, the Wii may lose.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Sony stated that they are comftorable with the price of the PS3, well, that was when Ken Kutargi(?) was still the head of the PS. Now that we have a new head of the PS, we Need to see what is going to happen.

Yes, I own the PS3 and Wii and I do not consider myself a fanboy to either side.I've compared the BluRay to a DVD, and I feel I can see the colors like a normal person(Im partial colorblind). The PS3 has blown me away with graphics capabilites and the sound, but the games aren't that fun YET.The wii is much more fun in multyplayer(Super Monkey Ball=P) and the Mii channel is fun until you make 1 Mii. This is all I have to say on this topic; it's too early to predict if the PS3 lost. For all we know, the Wii may lose.
Well, initial sales are always a decent figure to compare. All 3 consoles have suffered lack of supply, but Sony even worse.

I doubt this would piss off most people to starve off PS3, though. It doesn't make sense, like ice cream and onions.*