DOTA for Starcraft 2?

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
What's a war 3 hero? A unit with experience bar, team glow and abilities that have levels. There's already an inventory ability for units or a hero-inventory that can be added to a unit. The thing with SC2 is there won't be items... they won't have to balance heroes and items. Still, a unit can be made a hero using other systems like after gaining some points to have increased mana, hp. Then you can always replace an ability with a stronger of the same type called level 2. Items can be made like a unit with model of an item. With triggers you can do all add skill/remove skill, increase hp/mana, when close to a unit with model of an item to add a buff or time, etc it can be done. But I hope they don't bring war3 units to SCII coz such mixture will suck.

With the limit of units they allow, there will be indeed Defender Of The Future-s!

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
And then you would have to custom job spells, if it is possible at all. I never really liked using the SC editor, the things you could do with it were limited - you needed 3rd party plugins to do more advanced stuff.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
Yeah what really surprises me is how ppl can stay with such a primitive game like SC&BW - AI, Bnet, Editor. War3 is way more advanced in everything.

Since two years or so I also like futuristic games much more, I'm bored with magic&fantasy. But I chose war3 and keep on playing it coz it has way more opportunities than SC. And when I play ladder I pay attention to micro&playing; opponent; stats&leveling than to whether they cast magic, shoot with guns or fight with dUcks. I was just getting good at WC when now SC2 is out . A more advanced game and futuristic is the perfect combo for me for an RTS, as long as you can win with SKILL not masses and lame s*!t.

If there were WC4 in the future, I would still like futuristic games but would play it coz it may be more advanced than SC2 let's assume.

So you should always go4 the better game, I don't get it with SCers... But also wanna wish them GL coz the war3 skill can be used and since you are only with the less micro SC or many of you just played with masses and crap, and hacks.... GL guys. Create maphacks but some already know that's kinda useless when they see how ur at their base owning. That's a challenge coz I said SCers and WCers meet in SCII, who will dominate, huh? Some WCers, me included, have played SC&BW but were rational enough to leave the game when it was getting old and there was the replacement - war3.

Oh I didn't mean to scare you poor memblets, here is the info for Dota you kinda missed ...
WoW-Europe.com Forums -> StarCraft II Q&A - Batch 22: Map Maker Series

sean212

Reaction score
DotA ruined custom games on Wc3... If they figure out how to make it on SC2, and it becomes as big of a hit as it is on Wc3, I will probably not play SC2, but instead play Halo 3 LIVE. I hate DotA for two reasons, I don't find it fun or entertaining in anyway, and as I said earlier it ruined custom games on Wc3.
I'm not here to tell you what to think but i have arguements and questions.

1. DId you try actually playing dota or did you join 2 games didn't know what was going on and quit?

2. If dota killed other games on wc3 than why are so many games inspired by it>? To name 3 naruto 3rd shinobi wars, Anime wars, Naruto wars(2 diff games) I'll agree the majority of the maps hosted are dota. But if I want to play something else I can ussually find it after about 3 refreshes at most.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Yes. I go on Wc3 a lot and there are obviously more than just DotA games there.

L

Laharl

Thing you need to realize, Impact. Advanced does not always mean better.

Reaction score
Isn't it a "no hero" map editor?

L

Laharl

Don't know 'bout you guys, but I don't care about the custom maps that may or may not be release.

Heck, I'll probably pirate it, play the story line and delete the game.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
someone said they might include hero type units in the map editor...
If they dont, you would need to supplement that for upgrades. Hopefully, there is one for units if necessary.

But spells will be a big problem.

L

Laharl

Do what they did in starcraft for "Defense of the Xel'Naga" maps. Used triggers to make spells work :D

sodium.777

Reaction score
Apparently there are many modders out there all creating a 'dota killer' that uses the starcraft 2 engine.

NOTE: TO THE FRUSTRATION OF MANY MODDERS, BLIZZARD HAS ADDED A 1 SECOND DELAY TO ALL CONTROLS IN THE GAME - WTF?

Custom UI users have run into a nice surprise because you can't reimplement hotkeys due to the stupid lag for keypress events. (Blizzard are cheaters. Remember when they showed off the editor at Blizzcon with a third person RPG map and a top down shooter? Neither is actually possible due to this lag issue [all maps eventually have to be hosted in the cloud], and despite their claim that anyone could make such maps, the top down shooter is also laden with custom models!!!)

However Blizzard limitations (engine limitations) have limited the amount of change they can do
WASD keyboard control has been ruled out already. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Possible modders will be :
DOTA
HoN?
LoL?
Brother L
many others