DOTA for Starcraft 2?

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think that their is going to be a Dota for Starcraft 2? IMO it's bound to happen, and with that the people playing dota in WC:3 will flock to starcraft's upgraded version of Dota.

If you think this can happen, do you think it will be anything different from the DOTA in WC3?

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
IT won't be a bad thing, but it will be interesting since I believe that the heroes don't gain levels in this game.

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I love that idea! Still, I also wonder if there's a hero system or something similar for SC2 just like they do for WC3. I think it's only then would DOTA actually work on SC2.

- Amantis

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
But there's always a possibility that SC2 will attract a lot of WC3 players. A lot of people I know who were used to playing SC switched to WC3 after some time - especially as it took 10 years to announce the next game. I'm kind of expecting something similar to happen when SC2 comes out. Who knows, perhaps something that's more entertaining than DOTA might spawn off somebody's geniusly made map.

- Amantis

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
dota is map type called Aeon of Strife or AoS. there will be AoS games no matter what. now like dota im not sure

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
what dota?
It is a custom game created for Warcraft III, which is considered now to be the most common played map and pinnacle of World Editor modification.

Without a hero system, DotA may be impossible to do.

Child Of Bhaal

Member!
Reaction score
never really thought about it, but yeh it would probably happen, to some extent, not sure SCII will have the exact same "hero" type units that make these sorts of games workable.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
I guarantee the moment SC2 comes out ALOT of warcraft players will move over.

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I figured you'd know that Defense of the Ancients was originally on SC, which was based off Aeon of Strife from WC2, but that's giving you guys too much credit.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
We can hope, though I don't see the majority of the player-base switching even if they do.

Vi sitter i Ventrilo och spelar DotA!

kent666

Reaction score
I'm still guessing that most players are going to stick with WC3's DoTA. Besides I don't know if SC2's DoTA (if there's gonna be one) will click or be interesting in that sense.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
It likely wont translate. Alot of Staracraft maps never translated well into WCIII, and starcraft lacking the same hero function as WCIII will be unable to match the ability of DOTA on WCIII.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Well with the new engine, I would think it would be worth it to try. The current one they're using is dated or soon to be.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
we still dotn know what the editor can do yet

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Also, we are not sure how the editor system will work. To make a dota clone, you would need some kind of item system/JASS script reader to do this.