Details Leaked?!

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
It looks like the Diablo III rumor mill has started up once again with a seemingly innocent post on the jobs section of the Blizzard web site. A few days ago they posted a job for an art director and various leads to join "the team behind Diablo I and II" for "an unannounced PC project." I have been getting some inquires since then if Blizzard is indeed working on Diablo III and when is it going to come out?

Well, before I answer let me mention a few things. First, I don't want to get any of my friends at Blizzard in trouble, so from instead of mentioning "Diablo III" let's call this theoretical game "Beelzebub 3" and instead of "Blizzard" let's call them "Snowstorm" instead. Second, my information is quality stuff, but it is a little old, so take that with a gain of salt. Third, err, well, there is no third, so let's get into what I know!

Let's the obvious out of way, "Snowstorm" is indeed working on "Beelzebub 3". Not only are they working on it, but they have been working on this game for no less than the past four years. In fact, "Snowstorm North" nearly completed the game several years ago, but what they developed just "wasn't fun" and been quietly reworked. This was actually one of the key reasons why Snowstorm North was closed and everyone was relocated to Irvine-based Snowstorm, so that the bigwigs in Irvine could better track and follow the development of Beelzebub 3.

As for what to expect in to see in Beelzebub 3, believe it or not but those rumors that were floating around a few months ago about the game were fairly accurate. According to the rumors:

"Diablo 3 takes place in heaven. Hell is trying to take it over and it is AWESOME looking … Imagine the brightness of heaven being taken over by the darkness of hell … Imagine WoW but in a Diablo world in amount of size and playability … Also, guild housing is available in this game for those of you who know about it. They should have a gameplay demo to show at BlizzCon."

This information was pretty dead-on. It is true that Beelzebub 3 will be done in true 3D and it did indeed look freaking awesome. It is also true that Beelzebub 3 features a story between the conflicts of Heaven and Hell and contains a very cool feature where every single item in the game can change between a "light" version and a "dark" version. However this was also one of the problems with the original version of the game. Other than the ability for any item to visually change from light to dark it didn't affect the actual stats of the item or change the gameplay in any way. So the game has gone through a total rework to inject some "fun" into the gameplay and to make it feel like the Beelzebubs of old.

The core gameplay Beelzebub 3 will play pretty much like Beelzebub 1 and 2, but the game world will be much larger and provide a much deeper experience -- many more items, more levels when you go through the game for first time, more skills, more of everything. In addition, the multiplayer aspect will be greatly enhanced from the past installments and don't be surprised to see more than a couple of WoW-based concepts to leak over into the Beelzebub 3 universe ... such as two opposing factions (Alliance and Horde = Heaven and Hell), enhanced guild functionality, and maybe even mounts?!

As for when Beelzebub 3 will released, that one is easy to answer ... when it's done. Snowstorm is in no rush to finish this game and will release it only after they feel it's perfect. And after the fiasco of StarCraft: Ghost -- which has been announced for years and is currently going through its second round of redesign and reprogramming -- Snowstorm is in no rush to announce Beelzebub 3. Don't except an announcement until the game is near completion.

But there is some good news; that "leak" on the Snowstorm jobs page was no accident. If they are starting to leak information about Beelzebub 3 then they are starting to get closer to a final release. Of course for Snowstorm something "getting close" can mean two years from now.

Hopefully that will hold everyone over for the short term. Hopefully Beelzebub 3 will be announced at the next E3, I'll try to find out more before then and give everyone the dirt as I get it.
Taken from http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/2006/02/rumor_diablo_ii.php .

IDefy

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Beelzebub? Don't they mean Beezlebub?

Is there actually any information about this on snowstorms site?

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
No Snowstorm hasn't released anything other than a list of help wanted; see other thread I made in this forum.

It would be great if it was true. Getting back into Diablo and owning n00bs like old times would be great. I've played Diablo I and II and loved them both(TwistedRat). Diablo III would seriously make me cream my pants.

COTA-GoD

Member!
Reaction score
I used wordpad and replaced all the beelzebub and snow storm with diablo iii and blizzard. Its a bit easyer to read =/

It looks like the Diablo III rumor mill has started up once again with a seemingly innocent post on the jobs section of the Blizzard web site. A few days ago they posted a job for an art director and various leads to join "the team behind Diablo I and II" for "an unannounced PC project." I have been getting some inquires since then if Blizzard is indeed working on Diablo III and when is it going to come out?

Well, before I answer let me mention a few things. First, I don't want to get any of my friends at Blizzard in trouble, so from instead of mentioning "Diablo III" let's call this theoretical game Diablo III and instead of "Blizzard" let's call them Blizzard instead. Second, my information is quality stuff, but it is a little old, so take that with a gain of salt. Third, err, well, there is no third, so let's get into what I know!

Let's the obvious out of way, Blizzard is indeed working on "Diablo III". Not only are they working on it, but they have been working on this game for no less than the past four years. In fact, "Blizzard North" nearly completed the game several years ago, but what they developed just "wasn't fun" and been quietly reworked. This was actually one of the key reasons why Blizzard North was closed and everyone was relocated to Irvine-based Blizzard, so that the bigwigs in Irvine could better track and follow the development of Diablo III.

As for what to expect in to see in Diablo III, believe it or not but those rumors that were floating around a few months ago about the game were fairly accurate. According to the rumors:

"Diablo 3 takes place in heaven. Hell is trying to take it over and it is AWESOME looking … Imagine the brightness of heaven being taken over by the darkness of hell … Imagine WoW but in a Diablo world in amount of size and playability … Also, guild housing is available in this game for those of you who know about it. They should have a gameplay demo to show at BlizzCon."

This information was pretty dead-on. It is true that Diablo III will be done in true 3D and it did indeed look freaking awesome. It is also true that Diablo III features a story between the conflicts of Heaven and Hell and contains a very cool feature where every single item in the game can change between a "light" version and a "dark" version. However this was also one of the problems with the original version of the game. Other than the ability for any item to visually change from light to dark it didn't affect the actual stats of the item or change the gameplay in any way. So the game has gone through a total rework to inject some "fun" into the gameplay and to make it feel like the Beelzebubs of old.

The core gameplay Diablo III will play pretty much like Beelzebub 1 and 2, but the game world will be much larger and provide a much deeper experience -- many more items, more levels when you go through the game for first time, more skills, more of everything. In addition, the multiplayer aspect will be greatly enhanced from the past installments and don't be surprised to see more than a couple of WoW-based concepts to leak over into the Diablo III universe ... such as two opposing factions (Alliance and Horde = Heaven and Hell), enhanced guild functionality, and maybe even mounts?!

As for when Diablo III will released, that one is easy to answer ... when it's done. Blizzard is in no rush to finish this game and will release it only after they feel it's perfect. And after the fiasco of StarCraft: Ghost -- which has been announced for years and is currently going through its second round of redesign and reprogramming -- Blizzard is in no rush to announce Diablo III. Don't except an announcement until the game is near completion.

But there is some good news; that "leak" on the Blizzard jobs page was no accident. If they are starting to leak information about Diablo III then they are starting to get closer to a final release. Of course for Blizzard something "getting close" can mean two years from now.

Hopefully that will hold everyone over for the short term. Hopefully Diablo III will be announced at the next E3, I'll try to find out more before then and give everyone the dirt as I get it.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
IDefy said:
Beelzebub? Don't they mean Beezlebub?

Is there actually any information about this on snowstorms site?
No, it's spelt Beelzebub. The l before the z.

blaincasey

Reaction score
Well when it comes out im definately getting it becuase all i know is that in every diablo they bring out atleast 2 extra characters with 30 extra skills on each character, diablo 1 has 3 characters,diablo 2 has 5 characters,diablo 2 expansion (lord of destruction) has 7 characters,i have reason to believe that diablo 3 Will have a MASSIVE 10 characters ALL THE ORIGINALS AND MORE!!!

(i.e amazon assassin necromancer barbarian druid paladin sorceress)
diablo 3 these are some topics on the new names i think they should have
(i.e amazon assassin necromancer barbarian druid paladin sorceress <-old-> new,(destroyer - chaoslord - demoniclord)

but i know that its not my choice of name's so ill leave that to "snowstorm" to decide and i love the idea that there is going to be a "beelzebub 3" with many more characters and skills to choose from.. WOW ITS GONNA BE MASSIVE!!!

:):):):):):)

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Well I would think that if they are going to add characters it would be:

Amazon, Assassin, Barbarian, Druid, Necromancer, Paladin, Rogue, Sorcerer, Sorceress, Warrior

Increasing the characters up to ten, the original classes from Diablo with of course the new characters in Diablo II. They would probably also add variation to the classes where you can split off different ways, and you should also expect greater physical customization then the last ones.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I highly doubt they're going to use any of the classes from D1 or D2. They'll most likely expand a bit on the classes they've already used.

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
Cellar Door said:
I highly doubt they're going to use any of the classes from D1 or D2. They'll most likely expand a bit on the classes they've already used.
Agree'd. I think they will most likely have characters and skills similar to D1 &2, but will be all new. I bet you will still be able to recognize so-in-so as the new so-in-so. I just hope that in diablo 3 you will have the choice between the boy and girl, and hopefully some more customizations so you don't end up with such a 'cookie-cutter' look.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
What else is left? They put the best mix in Diablo II; unless you think we will see 'Death Knights'.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
There are over 30 classes in DAoC...they can figure out 10.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Cellar Door said:
Yeah, but this isn't DAOC. Diablo has a lore of it's own.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Diablo has a lore, as does DAoC, as does almost every other game out there.

However the Lore does not define the characters...

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Cellar Door said:
Diablo has a lore, as does DAoC, as does almost every other game out there.

However the Lore does not define the characters...
Usually strictly defines what characters in the game can be. Such as a science fiction RPG not having a sorcerer. Most games are very specific what the heroe's class can be.

If you haven't read into Diablo's lore before, here is a very good site. It has the whole story, and very good discriptions of the classes.

Trojan

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cellar Door said:
Yes but DAoC blows hardcore.

Diablo III will have hero classes and people from WoW will be pissed and be like 'IOMFG GIEB US HERO CLASES!!'.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Beck said:
Usually strictly defines what characters in the game can be. Such as a science fiction RPG not having a sorcerer. Most games are very specific what the heroe's class can be.

If you haven't read into Diablo's lore before, here is a very good site. It has the whole story, and very good discriptions of the classes.
I know better the Diablo lore than most here, in fact, I'll likely bet that I'm one of the most knowledgeable about the lore.

That being said, it doesn't stick them to just the 7 classes they have. The expanded the lore when they added D2, they will likely expand the lore for D3.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Cellar Door said:
I know better the Diablo lore than most here, in fact, I'll likely bet that I'm one of the most knowledgeable about the lore.

That being said, it doesn't stick them to just the 7 classes they have. The expanded the lore when they added D2, they will likely expand the lore for D3.
They'll probably add classes, but it's going to be expected that there will be 10+ classes, and I don't think they'll just make a new random 10. Do you?

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I didn't say a new 10. I said an expanded 10.

Split the Sorc into two classes, one going elemental one going into darker arts, Arcane/Fire and something else (assuming were going three trees again). Split the Paladin into two classes, as one based on melee and offense, and one based on holy and protection magic...It's not the hardest thing to do, expecially with the classes they have.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Cellar Door said:
I didn't say a new 10. I said an expanded 10.

Split the Sorc into two classes, one going elemental one going into darker arts, Arcane/Fire and something else (assuming were going three trees again). Split the Paladin into two classes, as one based on melee and offense, and one based on holy and protection magic...It's not the hardest thing to do, expecially with the classes they have.
I'm going to quote you.
Cellar Door said:
This may just be me, but the first sentence says they won't use any of the classes from the previous Diablo series. Though you're saying they'll expand, meaning they'll use the previous classes but with more variation(like I said).
Beck said:
Increasing the characters up to ten, the original classes from Diablo with of course the new characters in Diablo II. They would probably also add variation to the classes where you can split off different ways, and you should also expect greater physical customization then the last ones.

Nero.Jacinth

Reaction score
One thing that I have not seen anyone suggest for new characters; FEMALES! (Apart from the sorc and zon) I think it would be awesome to have the same characters (and maybe a few more), but be able to choose female or male. A female paladin, a sorcerer, a male amazon (wait, no nvm, lol). You get the idea though.