Wraith Strategy

Payment

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I try to go in early with Wraiths. They are week against ground units, but if you build them fast enough and give them the cloaking ability you can go for their flanks where they have not yet set up defense.

When guys start to attack, cloak your guys and the Protoss and Terran early on will probably be screwed. But, against zerg you can attack their Overlords and can kill them pretty fast.

This strategy works well with me atleast... But then again, I can almost get about 12 wraiths in 6 or 7 minutes.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
The only problem with this strategy is cloaked wraiths usually make the enemy panick if it's early on. Good thing, right? Not really. If you are going for wraiths early on and you hit your opponents overlords, chances are he will send all his stuff to attack your base just cause he panics (im talking about average/newbie players). And unless you have good defense, a few wraiths won't help much. So you need to get bunkers/tanks first, then get cloaked wraiths, which kind of defeats doing a wraith rush. Also, killing overlords probably wouldnt work. Since overlords detect cloak naturally and the enemy would prob have alot of hydras by the time you got cloaked wraiths. It's a good strategy though, not taking anything away from it, but focus shouldn't be entirely on wraiths. 3-4 cloaked wraiths, on the other hand, can cause your enemy to panic, which would be good, since you'd have proper defense. right? ;)

Payment

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks for the advice I try it out next time I use the strategy.
But that does happen a lot to me, where I send in my wraiths and they send in their units, but for back-up I usually have about 2-3 tanks and about 6 marines and 2 firebats.

But, I think that sending only a few wraiths early, and sending some other units with it will be more effective.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
A wraith rush is useless in TvP, it is too risky since it takes a wraith an hour to kill a zealot :)

In TvT it is very effective, especially on island maps. U just have to combine them with tanks.

It is also effective to do a small wraith rush in TvZ. Get 3-4 wraiths and start hunting overlords, then switch to M&M.

Azncraftboi

Member!
Reaction score
Website
geocities.com
Wraiths suck :D do not get wraiths, instead, get a dropship, load em with marines and tanks, then drop em by the enemy miners. I think that'll do more damage than a wraith..

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
lol, of course it will but most players will be able to counter it. Wraiths are mobile, u fly in, kill SCVs and then u cloak and retreat when the enemy's units arrive. M&M drops are better vs zerg, but not terran.

Azncraftboi

Member!
Reaction score
Website
geocities.com
> = (

> = ( yah.. maybe ur right :D
but.. i still think a couple of men are better than one stinking wraith.. its HARDER to counter =\
a wraith, u can easily make a comsat or turrets, but defending from marines and tanks... well ... u've got a problem :D
by the way I gotta go to school now lol so ill talk to ya peeps later..
(\___/)
( '.' )
( t t )

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Well, many players use a 4 golliath drop in TvT, so people tend to build turrets in their peon line. This makes a drop useless. Wraiths are more flexible, since wraits can also be used with tanks as a frontal attack. Marines tend to get slaughtered by tanks or golliaths.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Well if u play on non-money maps u need 4 bases to afford BCs.

Twisted_Sniper

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Payment
Thanks for the advice I try it out next time I use the strategy.
But that does happen a lot to me, where I send in my wraiths and they send in their units, but for back-up I usually have about 2-3 tanks and about 6 marines and 2 firebats.

But, I think that sending only a few wraiths early, and sending some other units with it will be more effective.

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Why not use them all?

TvZ :

-M&M opening
-1-2 Wraith rush their overlord
-Dropship + Marines
-Switch Marines in Dropship for Tanks for Cliff-Tank drops
-M&M + Tank push
-SV whore

Do it all at once, switching to focus heavily on your opponent's loopholes.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AKA-47
Well if u play on non-money maps u need 4 bases to afford BCs.
well i only had 2 bases and got fully upgraded bc and won. just to let ya know.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
2 bases? How can u make BCs and at the same time afford the tanks u nead to fend off enemy attacks with only 2 bases?

Raccoon

Post Djinn
Reaction score
Sorry. It was obvious.. Just was not thinking straight... :p

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Bc's are expensive, u just need to save up for em. and wraiths are good to so no one should talk!!. Valks are good too, they good Anti Air!!