Why the DS lost to the PSP.

Bapes

Forever Rain
Reaction score
Website
frltd.blog125.fc2.com
They lost one because of their grapichs, you can see pixelation in almost every 3d game out there. They also lost because of what the ds could do. Wow, a video game system. Ohhh Ahhh. Ha yea right. While the PSP on the other hand has almost NO pixelation mess as the DS does. The DS will be going on-line 1 year after it was released. The PSP all you need is an access point. The Nintendo handhelds are looking a bit bland. By Bland I mean, same exact buttons ever time, D-Pad,a,b,start,select. Sony, ACTUALLY HAS A ANOLG STICK. DS was released to early and didn't get ANY good games besides mario for it. Wait till Nitensucks fall to Sony. There going to go back with Sega. Well see you in the lead Nintensucks!

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Too bad Fission Mail ****ed Sony over. Not many people want PSP's anymore, hate to break it to you. The DS has the ability to play NES, SNES, N64, MP3, and movies from what I hear. I heard it's memory is 80% for 3x more then a PSP's. And since Fission Mail shoved a large, abstract chocolate thunderstick up Sony's ass, the PSP won't beat the DS. Period. :)

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Darkmatter said:
Too bad Fission Mail ****ed Sony over. Not many people want PSP's anymore, hate to break it to you. The DS has the ability to play NES, SNES, N64, MP3, and movies from what I hear. I heard it's memory is 80% for 3x more then a PSP's. And since Fission Mail shoved a large, abstract chocolate thunderstick up Sony's ass, the PSP won't beat the DS. Period. :)
Well people are buying the PSP more so I don't know exactly how you're so confident.

What does this fission mailed thing mean? The only place I saw that was the fake death scene in Metal Gear Solid 2. Is that what you're referring to?

Bapes

Forever Rain
Reaction score
Website
frltd.blog125.fc2.com
Darkmatter said:
Talk about wrong info. DS can only play DS and Game Boy advance gams. NO MORE GBC games. If you thought it could play all that, go make 500 mill and make one ya self.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
You still neglected the fact that Fission Mail screwed Sony over in the ass. Since that happened, people have decided to spen their money on better things.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Darkmatter said:
You still neglected the fact that Fission Mail screwed Sony over in the ass. Since that happened, people have decided to spen their money on better things.
I repeat!

1) PSP is outselling the DS.
2) What the heck is Fission Mail?

:umm

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I heard most of this from my friend.

[15:22] shadow1psc2000: PSP FAIL'D
[15:22] shadow1psc2000: Fission Mail'd Sony -_-'
[15:22] Darkmatter: LIOLOLOLILOLOLOL GG SONY
[15:22] shadow1psc2000: dude, they didn't sell out anywhere...
[15:22] shadow1psc2000: even the DS sold out their launch quantities o.0
[15:23] shadow1psc2000: (Link: http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=1949)http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=1949
[15:26] shadow1psc2000: Got PSP? No, and I don't plan to anytime soon 61.36% 23102
TOTAL VOTES 37651
[15:27] shadow1psc2000: dude, Sony took it in teh ass
[15:27] Darkmatter: I knew they'd slip up sometime.
[15:27] Darkmatter: NINTENDO RAINS SUPREME.
[15:27] shadow1psc2000: lol, yeah
[15:32] Darkmatter: 'TIS ME, NINTENDO! BITCHES!''
[15:34] shadow1psc2000: lol
[15:35] shadow1psc2000: nintendo reigns supreme... i thought the PSP would do good tho
[15:35] shadow1psc2000: at least it isn't the super flop that the N-Gage was
[15:39] shadow1psc2000: Fission Mail'd good buddies
[15:39] shadow1psc2000: *salutes*
[15:51] Darkmatter: So
[15:51] Darkmatter: The mailing service
[15:51] Darkmatter: Screwd sony?

I disconnected after that, I'll have him post in this thread when he comes on.

10:25] shadow1psc2000: o.0
[10:26] shadow1psc2000: must... get... cell phone... aldkfnalknga
[10:28] shadow1psc2000: $150 for a 1gb Pro Duo for PSP... what a rip... bitches
[10:28] shadow1psc2000: PSP + 1 gig of media = $350
[10:28] shadow1psc2000: DS + 4 gigs of media = $300
[10:28] shadow1psc2000: hrm
[10:28] Darkmatter: abf
[10:28] shadow1psc2000: i wonder
[10:28] Darkmatter: PFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
[10:28] Darkmatter: GG
[10:29] shadow1psc2000: yeah, u can turn ur DS into an ipod mini for the same price as an ipod mini, lol
[10:29] shadow1psc2000: the PSP battery sucks so much, they've got 5 different 3rd party battery extenders
[10:29] Darkmatter: Lo....
[10:30] shadow1psc2000: i think teh psp lost...
[10:30] Darkmatter: Lost?
[10:30] Darkmatter: They took it up the ass with a chocolate thunderstick.
[10:31] shadow1psc2000: XD
[10:31] shadow1psc2000: Fission Mail'd
[10:32] shadow1psc2000: $70 for a charger pack that takes PSP's battery life from 3-6 hours to 8-11 hours
[10:32] shadow1psc2000: DS battery life = 10 hours on DS games by default, and 20 hours on GBA/MP3/Movies
[10:33] shadow1psc2000: oh sonofa... new DS colors!
[10:35] shadow1psc2000: oh yeah, and the GBA/DS movie/music player has MP3, Mpeg4, AVI, e-book, and NES rom capability
[10:35] shadow1psc2000: nintendo has just F'd sony in the A!
[10:37] shadow1psc2000: the DS becomes a NES, SNES, N64, MP3 player, and movie player o.0
[10:38] Darkmatter: Hmm
[10:38] Darkmatter: So
[10:38] Darkmatter: It could play all games?
[10:38] shadow1psc2000: $150 for DS, $25 for player, and $20-$130 depending on how much memory you want
[10:38] shadow1psc2000: it can play all NES games, SNES games, and the N64 games that are ported (DS is pretty much n64 quality, but better)
[10:50] shadow1psc2000: (Link: http://media.gameboy.ign.com/articl....ign.com/articles/589/589659/img_2621939.html
[10:54] shadow1psc2000: translated by google from nintendo:
[10:54] shadow1psc2000: "" Play and is " the オマケ is increased to the person who is bought.
Downloading, you play " play and it is " at on, the name the " garage game ". Clicking the garage which you open, having steadily, returning, don't you think?!
Every week Friday the ヨ which the garage one each keeps opening. In pleasure!"

Bapes

Forever Rain
Reaction score
Website
frltd.blog125.fc2.com
Ah Fission mailed: Mission Failed. If you want a real review go to www.g4tv.com [10:35] shadow1psc2000: oh yeah, and the GBA/DS movie/music player has MP3, Mpeg4, AVI, e-book, and NES rom capability

Ds cannot do anything but play DS Games and GBA games.
Psp can play music and videos, online.
You made that sh!t up.
PSP has already sold out over the country. DS did sell out because of those little kids. Mommy I want a super-cool two screener. Well guess what! I have both DS and PSP, my eyes are glued to the PSP. 16:9 LCD wide screen. (480 x 272 pixels) While the DS only has exactly 245x192 pixels screens. The touch screen works of a ribbon sending the sensor to the protocal wich sends the info to the game data.
In the fall DS will be the first online nintensucks. PSP already online.
[10:32] shadow1psc2000: $70 for a charger pack that takes PSP's battery life from 3-6 hours to 8-11 hours

PSP comes with a charger and takes 2 hours to charge FULLY whil the DS takes 4 hours.

[10:38] shadow1psc2000: it can play all NES games, SNES games, and the N64 games that are ported (DS is pretty much n64 quality, but better)

Cannot play NES and SNES games, all games are basicly N64 games. Ds is pretty much n64 quality but worse.

[10:37] shadow1psc2000: the DS becomes a NES, SNES, N64, MP3 player, and movie player o.0

The DS becomes a DS game player/GBA game player.

The PSP becomes a wireless game device,mp3 player,and video device. PSP grapichs: PS2 Equivelent.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score

ShadowTassadar said:
They lost one because of their grapichs, you can see pixelation in almost every 3d game out there. They also lost because of what the ds could do. Wow, a video game system. Ohhh Ahhh. Ha yea right. While the PSP on the other hand has almost NO pixelation mess as the DS does. The DS will be going on-line 1 year after it was released. The PSP all you need is an access point. The Nintendo handhelds are looking a bit bland. By Bland I mean, same exact buttons ever time, D-Pad,a,b,start,select. Sony, ACTUALLY HAS A ANOLG STICK. DS was released to early and didn't get ANY good games besides mario for it. Wait till Nitensucks fall to Sony. There going to go back with Sega. Well see you in the lead Nintensucks!
Dude you talk like nintendo died or something. The DS Has more units sold then the PSP. In North Ameria and Japan alone it has pushed 3 million releases, Sony has not even come to 2 million yet. And Nintendo has already broken UK selling records buy selling close to 100,000 units. Released to Early? It was released for christmas, when people buy games. March is not a video game month. There is nothing in march, and the PSP while has gotten some attention isn't selling so hot.

You know what happened with the DS? They out sold. there were more orders than units. Nintendo had to open a second factory jsut to keep up with production for the DS.

Ds cannot do anything but play DS Games and GBA games.
There is currently more than one adapter to extend the DS to movies and music.

You made that sh!t up.
yeah, right buddy we go around and make things up on over a dozen websites to proove you wrong.

PSP has already sold out over the country.
no it hasn't

DS did sell out because of those little kids. Mommy I want a super-cool two screener. Well guess what! I have both DS and PSP, my eyes are glued to the PSP. 16:9 LCD wide screen. (480 x 272 pixels) While the DS only has exactly 245x192 pixels screens. The touch screen works of a ribbon sending the sensor to the protocal wich sends the info to the game data.
I have both too. I have a useless UMd for spiderman 2, something I never needed and a crappy game. Though the hockey game is much better than the other PSP launch titles. Twisted Metal? Metal gear acid? Horrible titles.

In the fall DS will be the first online nintensucks. PSP already online.
intellegent statement, "nintensucks". we can all take you seriously now. :rolleyes

PSP comes with a charger and takes 2 hours to charge FULLY while the DS takes 4 hours.
DS battery also lasts 6 horus longer than the PSP. I would trad3 2 hours charge time, for a system I can use as a portable without the battery dieing on me.

Cannot play NES and SNES games, all games are basicly N64 games. Ds is pretty much n64 quality but worse.
The DS becomes a DS game player/GBA game player.
Can play NEs, SNEs, all games useing a cartrage due to adaptors.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The PSP is currently outselling it badly. Who cares about the total amount of units sold? The PSP was released later so obviously it can't have possibly sold as many

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok, I don't care either way, I wasn't planning on buying either of them. DS has better commercials though. As for playing NES, SNES, etc games with an adaptor, I doubt they'd make an adaptor to play the original consoles, especially NES. That's just me being realistic with nothing to support me because I did no research. Please link me to an online store that sells an NES cartridge adaptor if such a thing exists.

My main question here is about the fact that it was stated the DS has "NES rom capabilities". How true is that? If you can play NES roms on it, uploaded from your computer or something, I'm going to go buy one. I'd like more than just unsupported claims though. A legitimate source besides "I heard it from a friend" would be nice :p

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm not gonna bother reading all that mindless blather, but I have both and I will tell you something, from personal experience and facts:

DS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PSP

and now i shall tell you why:

The main reason people seemed to try to hate on the PSP is for battery life, and after thoroughly testing them with my brother, DS wins, by about 2 hours. DS playing SM64 full volume with backlight on lasted about 7 hours. PSP, full volume and medium brightness (in a well lit room) playing Metal Gear Solid: Ac!d lasted 4 hours. PSP was completely dead, couldn't even get a mp3 to play. The DS would still be in green if i put in a GBA game, watched a movie, read a book, or listened to an MP3. The main reason this is a failing point, is because on the go, 5 hours (give or take 30 minutes to 1 hour) is pretty lame. for MP3s, it can last 7-8 hours, to the DS's 15+, for movies the PSP lasts just long enough to get through a UMD movie, or through about 2 full length saved movies. The DS again gets 10+ hours on highest quality, full sound.
Now, to solve this problem, you can do a number of things. 1) keep the PSP plugged into it's charger. But that defeats it's original purpose, which is "mobile gaming". there is a second option, comming soon, which is shell out another 80$ for a battery pack to extend the PSP's battery life about 5 hours. Now, on top of the already pricey $250 for the unit itself, then $30-150 for a decent memory stick for media, that's a hefty price tag.

Now, the main arguement for the PSP is the graphical superiority. Now, I must say, if all you care about is graphics, and nothing about gameplay, then you don't deserve to be a gamer. PS2 which is the graphically inferior of the 3 consoles on the market now, is the leader, and why is that? not because of graphics, but solid games/gameplay. Now, we have Nintendo, the leader, and pretty much sole runner in the mobile gaming market for near 12 years now, producing the bulk of games mobile gamers have come to love under their 1st party development system (pokemon, anyone?). Now when it comes developer support, Nintendo always has the edge. Nintendo's games are second to none, and although off to a slow start, ironically it was a bigger start than sony could pull off. SM64, Yoshi's Touch and Go, and the slew of first party titles to hit over the course of the year are obviously enough to get fans to buy it. I personally am excited for a number of titles, and I know that SE will be working (i don't know if exclusively) with Nintendo on a number of games, including the exclusive release of the last FF yet to be released stateside. Now, I'm excited for this cause i love FF and RPGs, and i'm giving you my opinion on something to look forward to on DS. with the PSP there were some flashy and nice launch titles, but I have yet to see something to interest me.

This brings me to media. MP3/Video/Picture viewing. Now, I'll give it to the PSPs screen for movies, but the battery life/cost of being able to play alot of the movies you'd want to is definately a bum. 1gb pro duo is $150, and that's pricey, especially after dropping money on a PSP + games. for a slight hit in quality (and I really mean slight, my audiophille of a father didn't notice a hit at all in the differnce of audio quality) you can save yourself $150 and go with DS if your looking for a cheap portable media solution. This of course is just a perk for either system, the only problem is, if you're never gonna use it, PSP's is built right in and you pay for it anyway.

When it comes down to both of them being what they were meant to be, the DS is still a lot better. the PSP has better graphics. it also has horrendus load times. the DS has yet to see slow down, as it has yet to have a game push it's hardware to the limits, which if you've seen/played NFSU2, you know that's pretty damn good. playing THUG2R, it took me a total of almost 5 minutes just to get to the first level, because of load times.

We come to the subject now of the mediums the games have been put on. UMD vs. Cartridge. Now, the UMD so far has it beat on memory, 1.8g is > than 128 bits, but there are already games working up to 512 bits and up, and with all the stuff they can put on 128 bits (SM64 + all the mini games and added content) It'll be pretty amazing to see what gets done come the later generations of games.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love both my PSP and DS, but the GBA alone is > PSP, and the DS has the backwards compatability down pat. Hundreds of awesome titles already out and playable. the DS isn't just a glorified PSP, but that helps, just like the backwards compatability of the PS2 helped.

I think I'd start going around in circles with myself if I don't wrap this up now, and I'm not sure if I'm forgetting anything about the comparison of the two, and be sure to throw your arguements at me, I need a laugh.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
-Azrael666- said:
Ok, I don't care either way, I wasn't planning on buying either of them. DS has better commercials though. As for playing NES, SNES, etc games with an adaptor, I doubt they'd make an adaptor to play the original consoles, especially NES. That's just me being realistic with nothing to support me because I did no research. Please link me to an online store that sells an NES cartridge adaptor if such a thing exists.

My main question here is about the fact that it was stated the DS has "NES rom capabilities". How true is that? If you can play NES roms on it, uploaded from your computer or something, I'm going to go buy one. I'd like more than just unsupported claims though. A legitimate source besides "I heard it from a friend" would be nice :p
oh yeah, i forgot about the whole nes/snes/n64 issue with the DS. the movie/mp3/e-book player also has emulators for the NES/SNES and is working on the N64, but that's hardly necessary, seeing as the good games should be ported (Starfox 64, OoT, Perfect Dark, and so on)

Zerglite

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
psp can do SO much more than DS...
2 words in particular

MOVIES & MUSIC PsP can play both. i dont see the DS do'ing either

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
you obviously just failed to read my post. for $100-110 your DS can store 1 gig of music/movies/photos/roms/books. The compression rate is about 1mb/minute on highest quality, and medium quality is just fine for watching movies as well. PSP 1 gig duo pro = $150, havn't gotten to mess with compressing much, seeing as there is no first part compression yet, nor is there packaged software for it.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I would like to point out that the UMD handles up to 1.8 gigs of data, and the Nintendo DS cartirdge handles up to 1 gig of data. The UMD however loads 20x slower than the Cartirdge. There is absolutely no load time when I paly SM64 game. It is all one fluid game motion. When I throw in Gretsky hokcey for PSP, it takes a good minute and a half to load the game, then another minute to get into the game and several more for saving, and loading.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
ArtOfProtoss said:
The PSP is currently outselling it badly. Who cares about the total amount of units sold? The PSP was released later so obviously it can't have possibly sold as many
how is it outselling it, if i just said the DS has more units sold.