Why is US powerful?

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think i got it. Location. After WW2 US was the only industrial power who's factories and cities were not destroyed at all. And that is only becasue they were far away from Geramany, and had an ocean in between. While WW2 weakend industrial capabilities of other nation it strengthened US because european economies after war lay in ruins, and europe had to buy american dollars, which remained stable becasue no war came to US soil, exept Pearl Harbor, and that gave US lots and lots of gold, and also made europe dependent on US's industries for some time. Those are the onle reasons i can see. Discuss.

Ciphus

Member!
Reaction score
That is part of the reason, for sure. WW2 devastated Europe, but America was left untouched. But America also spent big bucks trying to get some countries back up on their feet (See: France.)

ORC-r0x0r-ROC

Like my cute wabbit?
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It devasted europe because it actually touched there soil and they actually got bombed and cities got ruined. For the yanks it ended the depression and the economy boomed. Oh and c9h13no3 "Spam Is Bad" you just contradcited yourself.

Ciphus

Member!
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd say that it ended depression and the economy boomed. That did happen towards the end/after the war, but times were tough during the war. Living was horrible, having to ration food among many other things. But then again, as it did for every county, factories opened up to support the war effort. I do believe that's one of the reasons your country was a super-power, because it had a military-driven economy.

Correct me if I'm wrong plz, I'm always game to learn more and plus I just got done doing a huge report over why the Rusian Economy has declined since the transition from Soveit Union to Russia.

Magikarp

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
eH.. its pretty obvious that the U.S became a world power (Even more so) because it was isolated from the conflict in Europe and was on the offensive against Japan for the later part of the war.

MacMan

Reaction score
That's exactly we're so powerful right now. The US was, before it entered, supplying both sides of the war with equipment. After the war, European economies crashed but we stayed afloat. There was no one cause of the great depression, but one can certainly see it as the economic repercussions finally making their way to America. Some good politics managed to put us on the rebound after that.

Magikarp

Reaction score
Yea.. there a lot of the causes for the Great Depression, the biggest one being the fact that farmers had unrestricted growing policies.. right?

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
more like people buying all kinds of shit with money they didnt have.

cxoli

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
cxoli.net
more like people buying all kinds of shit with money they didnt have.
More like people buying everything they could possibly need and then having no reason to buy anything else, resulting in companies basically going from selling tons of stuff to selling nothing at all. At least, that's my basic understand of it.

N[U]TS

Reaction score
Originally posted by cxoli
More like people buying everything they could possibly need and then having no reason to buy anything else, resulting in companies basically going from selling tons of stuff to selling nothing at all. At least, that's my basic understand of it.

both of you are right...... people borrowed money they didnt have for buying stocks.

buisnesses went out of buisness because they built products that didnt break down...... now days they build stuff that will break down eventually so you have to come back a buy another. sad isnt it?

also alot of people were saving money and not spending to accumulate money. (consumer economy)

Induhvidual_1

Reaction score
"The other potential superpower, the Soviet Union, had not just been reduced to a Russian Republic with only half its population and resources, but the Warsaw Pact satellites collectively had population and resources roughly equal to the current Russian Republic. Soviet imperial power was not just cut in half, but reduced by two thirds."
-Bruce Walker

Um there ya go Russian Fanatic....

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Then did i say anything about Russia you idiot. This is about US. And then some ask why am i always talking about Russia, fags like you start saying bullshit, thats why. We still got more natural resources then anyone in the world (I mean the various kind, we are second in oil, but have many other various resources). Now lets get back on topic. So everyone who has some brain agreed with me on the matter and said that primary or at least one of the reasons was location.

Steven22

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by NTS
both of you are right...... people borrowed money they didnt have for buying stocks.

Also you are forgetting that the stocks were worth nothing really.

N[U]TS

Reaction score
Originally posted by Steven22
Also you are forgetting that the stocks were worth nothing really.
ture but they were really worth nothing after the crash heheh:)

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
We're like we are, because Canada and Mexico won't dare declare war on us. The rest have to travel for a while overseas to get to us.

x[311]x

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The US is powerful, because we dont really need to depend on any other country for anything, except oil, and even that we have enough of to survive for aproximately 300 years. We are the worlds most powerful nation because of the fact that we can support ourselfs, and dont need to goto Germany or England for anything, we goto the middle east for oil, because we dont want to use our own, but most of what we do is send stuff out to other countries, we bring very little into this country, that is actually from another country, most is just outsourced for labor, but its still american product.

Induhvidual_1

Reaction score
Dude isn't comparison a great way to see who is the most powerful?

If Russia is the only other potential superpower, wouldn't this indirectly prove to us why the US is the most powerful.

In any event... the only way we know who is the most powerful is to compare.

Without a weak, there would be no such thing as a strong.

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by x[311]x
The US is powerful, because we dont really need to depend on any other country for anything, except oil
Though I do agree with you that the US is the strongest nation in the world, that statement is WAY off. We import the vast majority of our resources and goods. We rely heavily on other countries for most of our goods, this is why a war of us verse the world would never work. They could just put a blockade around us and literally starve us through lack of resources.