Who uses Ultralisks

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Phoenix2003 said:
Show me a replay on a non-money map where you counter ultra/ling with mass air.
I counter mass air with ultras, lings, and defilers, but eh... that's just me, I suppose. All my replays got fried with my old hard drive though, sadly enough...

Ultras are great for their for their fear factor above everything else. They frighten the enemy into concentrating their forces into taking out those behemoths. Of course, there's really nothing better they can do; if the ultras go ignored, they'll ravage everything.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Master_America said:
All my replays got fried with my old hard drive though, sadly enough...
In other words, you can't really back up what you're saying can you? :-/

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I use Ultras as the siege units in my swarm. Here's the thing about me: I don't specialize in one particular unit per se. I tend to make an entire swarm where a good example of proportion would be 20 lings, 15 Hydras, 5 Ultras, 10 Mutas, 8 Guardians. Doesn't sound like much but it overruns a HELL of a lot of competition. The way I see it, the Zerg swarm is at it's best when all the units work together. There are so many varieties for a reason.

Firebat

Member!
Reaction score
its true zerg are unbeatable if you got an army of every unit ^^, but if you play vs a pro you dont get the chance to do that

Crimson-Shade

Member!
Reaction score
J'kar said:
I use Ultras as the siege units in my swarm. Here's the thing about me: I don't specialize in one particular unit per se. I tend to make an entire swarm where a good example of proportion would be 20 lings, 15 Hydras, 5 Ultras, 10 Mutas, 8 Guardians. Doesn't sound like much but it overruns a HELL of a lot of competition. The way I see it, the Zerg swarm is at it's best when all the units work together. There are so many varieties for a reason.
that's like the optimum build everyone hopes to get, but never really does... lol

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Firebat said:
its true zerg are unbeatable if you got an army of every unit ^^, but if you play vs a pro you dont get the chance to do that
That doesn't make sense at all. Ultras are used against pros all the time. Lurker/ling/def works much better vs terran, though.

Firebat

Member!
Reaction score
omg u didnt get my point at all, i meant that when you play against a pro, u dont get to mass an army of every zerg unit

now apologize to me and agree with my point

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It's not like zerg really tries to 'mass' every unit. All they need to do get hive tech(ultras/cracklings,guards,defilers) and win. My bad for not getting your point, though. My point is that ultra/ling is a bitch to stop. Then again, the game is prolly already lost at that point.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Crimson-Shade said:
i guess the "moral" is that ultra's won't turn the field of battle into ur favor.
uhm, more or less.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
You see...I generally CAN get that kinda army. I don't use Zerg much, so I don't use that strat much, but when Zerg, I go SUPERDEFENSIVE and mass the hell out of Hydras to defend myself, then I go for my swarm. I can do it pretty quickly, all it takes is time- and resource-management.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Zerg can mix an army and kick ass. That's what I like about them. (The general feel of tyhem doing it sounds more logical then Terran, since in the campaigns you see swarms of different zerg all come at you at the same time.) I love it, but I can't pull it off. I did try Ultra/Crackling though a few nights ago for the first time, the guy I was fighting was overwhelmed. (He massed dragoons, and well, I rampaged them.) Funny strategy. :D

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
units can be combined with any thing...
i usally use them if hteres a defence to hard to crack, which is never since i die :p

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
I never found Wing Zero's defense hard to break :-/

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
TrongaMonga said:
I never found Wing Zero's defense hard to break :-/
thats b/c u use spells and transports gogoog