What blew me away...

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ghouls and gargs. I always thought these units were limited, they die fast and weren't worth using... meaning I should stick to fiends. That is cookie cut right?

But these guys are INSANE at what they do best.

Ghouls have a DPS of 5. Ha? Look, you take the base damage and divide it by the cooldown, then you divide it by the food.

Do the same for aboms and it comes to about 4.7, which goes to 5 as well.

However, when you get frenzy, it reduces the cooldown of ghouls by 25%. The new DPS comes to 6.7, or we would round it to 7. Then ghouls become vicious.

So what do you do when you play?

You get your hero of course and you harass or creep around with your partner.

Then you of course have to tech because GHOUL FRENZY is what you are after. Make sure you have about 16-20 ghouls. Once tier 3 is up, GET THAT UPGRADE. At this time, perhaps they will attack either you or your partner.

Now the trick is... you do not defend. Ghouls are terrible in large battles. What you have to do is to hit and run. The key here is knowing what to kill.

So you have 12 ghouls, you can run them into a base and kill key structures. For orc, once you kill his burrows, he is so far behind. Elf... perhaps an ancient, I'm not quite sure how to cripple him. I'd say go for the ancient of lores, then perhaps a huntress hall. For UD, you could go for the acolytes, the haunted gold mine and maybe ziggs. But what cripples UD a lot is killing their graveyard. Humans... perhaps their sanctums for their casters.

But the best part is that when they tp, you can... RUN! You can do this because the move speed is SO FAST, that you don't have to waste a TP. The only thing is you have to watch your hero. Perhaps buy a warp staff.

You can do this tactic on their main base, or even better... their expansion! Ghouls have such a high DPS that they will quickly kill buildings and run away. Now the problems?

Of course AoE spells that come from things like panda. But remember, you don't engage them directly. NEVER. Ghouls are terrible at that. Another thing is if they go air. But guess what? Crypts also make one of the best anti air units... no not the fiend, but the GARGOYLE.

These guys are like the ghouls of the air. They do pretty average ground attacks, but their air attacks are INSANE. 3 gargs will kill 3 air riders. Get a good pack of these, perhaps 12. Make sure you get the stone form and use it in battle.

Bat riders you say? Well... I learned something interesting the other night. Turns out that bat riders will kill a gargoyle without level 3 armor. HOWEVER, banshee's Anti-Magic Shield will block 300 of the 600 damage. So your bats can take 2 hits with the AMS on it. So it costs you 75 mana to put the shield on, yet it takes 160 gold and 40 wood to make a bat rider.

These two units are amazing. Ghouls are great harassers. They just aren't meant to engage directly, unless you are facing a pack of ranged units like archers. Gargs are amazing anti air for their cheap cost.

And the best part about this strategy is that you end up with lots of gold.

They might attack your base, so you might need towers. But if you can pull this off well, it's fun and it's thrilling. I go Tinker because he perfectly complements the strategy. Go in their base, pop a factory, watch the chaos and run.

So yea, frenzied ghouls, AMS-gargoyles and of course the Tinker are awesome.

+

+
+

I would upload a replay, but it keeps saying it failed =(

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Emporer Pan I and I always did a variation of that.

He does Panda + Lich with Ghouls and Banshees. And gets Gargs if the air is gfetting fierce. I get Docs, Grunts + Raiders and maybe air if necessary. If we fight t3 ground, then we either overwhelm them with our cheap numbers (we did defeat an army of bears and MG once doing so) or Pan gets Aboms since he has an expo more often than I do.

The effects are awesome. AMS + Gargs can take Gryphons head on. An army of ghouls with rape attack speed and pretty much reduce anything to corpses in seconds. The only thing you have to fear though is Chims and Wyrms, which is one reason why I am with him.

Revelade said:
course the Tinker are awesome.
Amen brother. I actually did that in 2 games. IT's amazing just how deadly the pocket factory is.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
You're talking about tinker, but I've seen crazy strats with the Alchemist vs ghouls. Acid rules. There was one strat but it's with hu and vs less skilled ud - while you mass merc units you add alchemist 2nd and with a push the ghouls die so fast. The game is not to let him tech, to totally slow him.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
I did alchem with hunts before, and used Healing Spray to hold the line. I managed to kill quite a few units without losing one. It is amazing just how powerful those underused and handed heroes can be.

The real power in the Alchem is at lvl 6 anyways.

MGCImtR

eSports Player
Reaction score
I once played a pretty long game on EI, I think it was mirror or he was elf, and he had alchemist 2nd lvl 6, all 4 mines were empty, so every unit lost mattered and he just destroyed my best units with transmute. So I lost my units and he earned gold in addition. Charm is worst, though, I've lost long games vs elf when DR reaches lvl 6 and takes a breaker and I have few units anyway.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Charm is a pain in the ass as well. Especially when you lose cruical units like Frost Wyrms or Chimaeras, which in turn can turn your melee and sometimes your heroes to mush in seconds.