UMS, Triggers?

D

daran

I have been creating some ums maps that require some triggers for the computer operated players. I have to each race given them setting medium Example " Terran medium" for their aggressive and deffensive difficulty.

The proplem I am Having is that in my scenerio the computer will mine yet will scramble around having no ordor to their attack as usauil and will not prodice or build.

I even put command triggers so they would automaticaly load in bunkers in that zone yet even with these commands the computer wil not build.

I am trying to make a sound map that will be a challenge so please send me some answers to my delima of this map.

Any suggestions as well comments is well appreciated.

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
If a simple melee type attack is what you are after from the comps, keep in mind the adage, "Less Is More".
Keep the commands simple.

1 AI setting per comp, leave out the preserve trigger.
I have had good luck adding the random suicide trigger.
Extra stuff like enter bunker is only good if there is a bunker, and they have the men.
Unless you give them the men, and the bunker, I would say forget it.

If you want to attach it to an e-mail, send a copy to me, and I will take a look at it.
I think you do this through my user profile at this site.
If not reply, and I will give my address here.
Or, just reply, and attach a zipped copy to the reply.

Some other less favorable things to keep in mind though.
Sometimes triggers fail, comps fizzle, or do nothing, and sometimes the map gods just frown on you.
Nothing personal meant there, it just is how it is.

Good luck, and good gaming.

SmashBros.Pro

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
Here is a trigger for subtracting score for minerals, but I cant figure out why it won't work. It subtracts 10 score then adds 5 minerals, but it doesn't stop subtracting score and it gives no minerals.

Conditions:
Always
Current player brings at least 1 Terran Marine to location 0
Current players kills and razings score as at least 10
Switch 1 is set
Actions:
Modify Unit Score subtract 10 kills and razings
Set resources to add 5 mineral
Preserve trigger

Crookedfoot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
SmashBros.Pro,

I will assume you tried to post this as a new topic, as apposed to a reply, but here we go anyway ..........

I'm not sure how your keeping track of your score reducing, but I am sure you have your ways.

As far as the minerals, try another trigger there.....
"Modify resources for Current Player: Add 5 Minerals"

You will find it listed as "Set Rescources"
(A little misleading in my opinion, thankyou Blizzard)

This may correct your trigger as far as giving minerals, but you will continue to get minerals until you have a zero razing score.

One huge thing to keep in mind about this type of trigger, different buildings have a different score value.
One supply depot = about 100 razing points.
One command center = about 1000 razing points.
Where 1 kill seems to = 1 kill.
(I don't make the rules concering this, thankyou Blizzard)

A possible way to get around this is to change the variable from "Subtract 10 Kills and Razings", to "Set to zero Kills and Razings".
And modify your "Add 5 minerals" to "Add 1 mineral".
It may not be the 2 to 1 ratio you wanted, but it should at least work as a 1 to 1.

About makes you want to pull your hair out sometimes, doesn't it?

Give it a try.

Good luck, and good gaming,

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by Crookedfoot
SmashBros.Pro,

As far as the minerals, try another trigger there.....
"Modify resources for Current Player: Add 5 Minerals"

You will find it listed as "Set Rescources"
(A little misleading in my opinion, thankyou Blizzard)

This may correct your trigger as far as giving minerals, but you will continue to get minerals until you have a zero razing score.

A possible way to get around this is to change the variable from "Subtract 10 Kills and Razings", to "Set to zero Kills and Razings".
And modify your "Add 5 minerals" to "Add 1 mineral".
It may not be the 2 to 1 ratio you wanted, but it should at least work as a 1 to 1.

I did that same type of setup on a map I have about 78% done on a Marine Special Forces map. I kind of gave up on it when I started realizing I probably needed to know more about switches to get it to work perfectly. Additionally I think I just ran out of time with college starting and blah blah blah blah.

I do find that using the "Modify resources for current player, Add 5 ore" would be the best solution, however maybe add a "Wait for DURATION milliseconds" at the end so the player has some time to get out of the location before the trigger loops again, as well.

As far as setting kills and razings score to 0, that would only add 5 minerals and set your score to 0 whether you have 10 or 1000 points, effectively screwing the player over. Another way, which would take forever, but may give you the score ratio you're looking for is using the Custom Score settings. Of course doing it that way means you have to set a individual score value for every unit you kill, whether it be enemy unit, building, allied computer Marine (Marine Special Forces), or even a critter. True, that could add about 3 hours of labor to your work, and some Carpel Tunnel, but that's what those stupid Gloves are for, right?

zerg96

Reaction score
Website
www.dothack.com
Don't EVER use anywhere as a location for the trigger "Run AI Script At Location", use a location that covers the whole map instead.:eek: (Goldenurg told me so :D )
OUCHIE, my finger is hurt.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
If u want the computer to build i think u have to use the AI script "terran town" or something at the location of the terran base.