Tips and tricks

PostmaNPhaT

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This thread is devoted to the little tricks you can use to gain a little edge on your opponent; a note about a certain matchup or a little oddity in a map you can use to your advantage. Sort of like the Tip of the Day at AWCS. Just state your tip/trick and keep this thread alive!

I'll start it off.

If you are using the super-abuse Beastmaster OR the PotM in a NE vs NE game, remember this; your hawk/owl (even at level one) has True Sight. If you are having trouble with your opponent using Shadowmeld, then just cast your hawk and send them running!

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
UD:
1. Morph statues into destroyers if they get surrounded.
2. Use nuking strategy to kill weak heros.
3. Never build more than 5 acolytes in the beginning. When you get an expansion build another 5; any extra acolytes and you are just wasting money.
4. Use wands of necromancy to create a "free" meat shield for creeping.

Orc:
1. When playing agaisn't undead get wyverns, they will own UD every time.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
ok lets see.

Undead
1. In ud vs. ud battles, get a DL first as vamp aura>unholy aura and at level 2-3 carrion swarm just owns ghouls.
2.For a quick expansion, build blight at an expansion quick and get some defence up before it is built.

Gnoll wood
Not everyone knows this, but if you creep the gnolls at the merchants first, you can encouter a max of two replenishment potions. sell them for 200 each getting 400 easy gold.

General
But Items, like potions for your heros before going into battle. that extra mana potion might save u the game. research those tiny things that give you an edge.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
And speaking of items, in large team games items you don't need and can't be bothered to lug back to base for keeping, make sure you destroy them (attack-click item). The number of scattered items I see left around creep areas scares me.

Shadowmeld: stick a few units around the entrance of the base if there's 2 entrances and hide. Heh. Nothing will pass. 'course, people should notice after a while.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
lets see.

Undead
1.Use the shop as much as you can. with ghouls/gargs a scroll of healing will save you. orb of corruption is amazing compared to the other orbs. essence of blight gives you that slight advantage.
2.Know your heros, and undead has great potential with 2-3 heros. solo heros are less useful.

team games
Plan ur heros our, to get maybe 3-4 auras for your units. a vamp/unholy/endurace/command abomb or tauren is both fast, and killer.

turtle rock
turtle rock is slightly imbalanced. at hte four sides of the map (two ogres/two trolls) are a set of wards. you can get up to 6 free wards, and have almost the whole map revealed if ur fast enough.

Ued_colonial

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
use your baldemaster and windwalk right in the guys base, head for his mines and bladestorm!. that sould kill at less 3 miners. then you cant neither mirror image and fight some more or just run. Gets noobs every time.

Whaturmuva

Eating the souls of children
Reaction score
Website
aqua-teen.com
Originally posted by Ued_colonial
use your baldemaster and windwalk right in the guys base, head for his mines and bladestorm!. that sould kill at less 3 miners. then you cant neither mirror image and fight some more or just run. Gets noobs every time.
why would you even think of wasting bladestorm on miners
and you should kill all 5 miners if you even think of wasting all that mana and wouldnt wind walk attack be better???

Ued_colonial

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hey if you hit the miners the troops come flocking in and leave explasion unprotected and stfuf you by the time they get there you kill all the miners plus there explasion are not protected, i one of those hit an run/decoll strats. But hey you can always destory the towers but that leaves the bm surround by towers if you playing orcs then aim for the burrows they suck the most.

VBadGirl

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.wnv-gaming.com
i saw a few very nice things done and i though i'd share with u.

NE players...carry with u in battle 2-3 wisps and attach them to the nearby trees. use them to detonate and drain mana of casters, heros or statues ( ud players).

In early games if u mass hunts for a rush push don't forget to shop and get a scrol of protection and activate it..even a scroll of healing in ur hero inventory and a dusk of appereance is usefull also when facing a bm or another ne.

very usefull is to have siege with ur units even against units that don't take extra damage from it the siege has a pretty nice damage...don't forget to include a couple.

Torubu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Current cheeses:

Beastmaster for NE

Human Tower Rush against NE

Fast expand (human)

Caster/Riflemen

Caster/Tauren

Statues and whatever you want for UD, it'll still be good.

Grunt/Demolisher

NE players usually don't seem to copy each other exactly late game.

ClanGoH

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
A few useful tips (not that Beastmaster crap :p):

UD)
1) Get Dreadlord first and mass ghouls onto lumber. When enemy harasses or you get ready to attack (get Sleep first skill) Sleep their hero, surround it fast, then attack. They will have no escape besides a TP, and that means they won't have the TP for later. 350 gold and tech 3 isn't cheap you know? :)

NE)
1)When faced against casters, get Fairie Dragon(s) because it devestates them.
2) If you're having a Human opponent with Mountain King Storm Bolting your heroes, stunning them and sometimes leading to instant death, solve this problen by getting a Demon Hunter and using Mana Burn on him. A very useful tactic and can win you the game since that keeps him from picking off your heroes with Storm Bolt.
3) The Beastmaster is great most of the time, but when facing a Human opponent, the worst thing that could happen is a Tower Rush. Prevent this by not getting the usual Beastmaster but getting Keeper of the Grove and putting Entangling Roots as the first skill. That way you can entangle workers, which keeps them from building, attacking, or moving, and they will slowly die. Tower Rush from Humans early on can be devestating, so you should prepare for it :).