Terran Strategies

Ryu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Kerrigan asked me to post up some of my ideas and strategies, so here they are.

----------------------
Terran vs. Zerg

General Strat: Marine/Med, Light Tanks support, Mass Science Vessel support.

Marines should be your main attack force when facing zerg, mainly because the main force a zerg player uses are hydras and lurks vs terran. Hydras only deal 5 pts of damage to marines, while lurks are easily killed by the science vessels and tanks. If the opponent decide to try mutas, early defense of bunker/turret usually keep them from harrassing your workers, while you tech up to science vessels with irradiate (which you should try to get asap). With irradiate helping, stimmed marines with medics can easily tear apart mutas. The tanks are used during attacks mainly, taking out sunks and defensive lurks. Be sure to scan around a lot, and drop marine/meds on any attempt to expand on the zerg's part; or if you can, walk your marines to his expansions and kill it. Zerg have to massively out-resource and out-produce terran to win, thus their need for expansions, while a terran can win a game with 1 expansion usually.

----------------------
Terran vs. Protoss

General Strat: Heavy Metal

As the name of this strategy suggest, your main force should be all metalic units built from your factory. The reason for this is because infantry units will be killed easily by a high templar. A small army of 6 zealots and 2 high templars can kill a whole army of marines (pending micro skills). Tanks/Vults are devastating to protoss ground units. Key is to keep your tanks spread out enough when sieged, so they are not clustered and all get stormed to death. If your opponent move to carriers, Goliaths with help from EMP by science vessel can take out carriers fast and easy. Cost for cost, the goliaths will beat the carriers. Just remember to focus your goliaths to all target one carrier at a time. Setting up depot with turrets and tanks/vults infront of your opponent's base will usually keep them locked in their base, where upon they will starve to death (assuming you play limited resource maps).

----------------------
Terran vs. Terran

General Strat: Heavy Metal w/ air support/dropship

In a terran vs terran game, it's all about resource control, out expanding your opponent, taking mainly the expansions that has a gas geyser. This match up is usually the most dull with both terran standing at a stalemate on any battle line, with siege tanks set up while neither opponent dare try to rush their tanks up to the enemy's tanks. The majority of attack are usually done with drop ship. Dropping on resource areas, and destroying your opponent's income (mainly gas) will allow you to out produce them in metal. If your opponent seem to have most of his army focused at the battle line, then leave half of your forces sieged there, while taking the other half to his base in drop ship. The half that remain siege can hold out against his forces should they try to rush through the siege blasts. In early TvT game expect drops with goliaths/tanks or wraith/tanks. In a late TvT game, it usually leads to battle cruisers/tanks/wraiths and sometimes ghosts and nukes... thus the importance of getting as much gas as possible.

I hope this help people out some. These are just the general way of playing terran in 1v1 matchups.

LiHaHia

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Oh by the way in tvt some ppl like to make 2 starports and zero ground... that is not the common way but sometimes it's useful...

need to watch out for that 2...

Ryu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I didn't want to get too technical and involved too many different strategic options, since what I wrote was pretty long already, and I wanted to make it less confusing for someone learning terran.

But yeah, quick 2 tank drop or 4 vult drop on protoss are common early tactics. Though I've seen more of a trend towards the 2 tank drop over vults... must be because of a new Boxer replay. (If Boxer tries a 4 scv rush, wonder if everyone else will follow)

Double starport for early wraiths is another option to go and I've pulled it off a couple times myself, but it's much riskier to build, and again, I didn't want to go into too much detail of multiple tactics.

As an off topic suggestion, condense all your messages into 1 message by editing your first post if possible. Not that it's a big deal or that I care, but administrators might.

L

Legendary Dragoon

Good strategies, those. Of course, I prefer using a combination of cloaked Wraiths (to take out those #^$%!@%$&^ mutas that come by your base), and Siege Tanks. Fully upgraded, Siege Tanks can deal quite a bit of damage, if they're in Siege mode. I like to send them into the enemy base, put 'em in Siege mode, watch things die, and then move them back to tanks. Wash, rinse, repeat.

In any case, Terrans best asset are Medics/Marine forces. Marines are one of the cheapest ground units in the game. (Only the Zerg zerglings are cheaper... cursed Zerglings....):mad:

But still.... nothing's as satisfying as listen to the mass screams of your enemies as you drop nukes on 'em....

Silent_Assassin

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
okay heres some advice from a a pro and a non-newbie on this site..... a good strat for terran is to use a marine/friebat combo to distract and come from the side first with BC's (upgraded) to get rid of any defenses and then come in with about 12 dropships or less full of Goliths (MUST BE UPGRADED FULLY TO WORK) there ya go

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
The strategies Ryu wrote were the most common used strategies on b.net (non-money maps) and they are also used by the best terran players in the world.

Legendary Dragoon, marines wont work vs Terran and neither mid/late game vs toss, they can be countered by metal, reavers or templars. Nuking is fun, but it takes time to tech to nukes.

Silent_Assassin, that strategy will never work in any MU because ull be dead long before u get those 12 dropships and fleet of BCs. Stop playing money maps!

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Ryu
Kerrigan asked me to post up some of my ideas and strategies, so here they are.

----------------------
Terran vs. Zerg

General Strat: Marine/Med, Light Tanks support, Mass Science Vessel support.

Marines should be your main attack force when facing zerg, mainly because the main force a zerg player uses are hydras and lurks vs terran. Hydras only deal 5 pts of damage to marines, while lurks are easily killed by the science vessels and tanks. If the opponent decide to try mutas, early defense of bunker/turret usually keep them from harrassing your workers, while you tech up to science vessels with irradiate (which you should try to get asap). With irradiate helping, stimmed marines with medics can easily tear apart mutas. The tanks are used during attacks mainly, taking out sunks and defensive lurks. Be sure to scan around a lot, and drop marine/meds on any attempt to expand on the zerg's part; or if you can, walk your marines to his expansions and kill it. Zerg have to massively out-resource and out-produce terran to win, thus their need for expansions, while a terran can win a game with 1 expansion usually.

----------------------
Terran vs. Protoss

General Strat: Heavy Metal

As the name of this strategy suggest, your main force should be all metalic units built from your factory. The reason for this is because infantry units will be killed easily by a high templar. A small army of 6 zealots and 2 high templars can kill a whole army of marines (pending micro skills). Tanks/Vults are devastating to protoss ground units. Key is to keep your tanks spread out enough when sieged, so they are not clustered and all get stormed to death. If your opponent move to carriers, Goliaths with help from EMP by science vessel can take out carriers fast and easy. Cost for cost, the goliaths will beat the carriers. Just remember to focus your goliaths to all target one carrier at a time. Setting up depot with turrets and tanks/vults infront of your opponent's base will usually keep them locked in their base, where upon they will starve to death (assuming you play limited resource maps).

----------------------
Terran vs. Terran

General Strat: Heavy Metal w/ air support/dropship

In a terran vs terran game, it's all about resource control, out expanding your opponent, taking mainly the expansions that has a gas geyser. This match up is usually the most dull with both terran standing at a stalemate on any battle line, with siege tanks set up while neither opponent dare try to rush their tanks up to the enemy's tanks. The majority of attack are usually done with drop ship. Dropping on resource areas, and destroying your opponent's income (mainly gas) will allow you to out produce them in metal. If your opponent seem to have most of his army focused at the battle line, then leave half of your forces sieged there, while taking the other half to his base in drop ship. The half that remain siege can hold out against his forces should they try to rush through the siege blasts. In early TvT game expect drops with goliaths/tanks or wraith/tanks. In a late TvT game, it usually leads to battle cruisers/tanks/wraiths and sometimes ghosts and nukes... thus the importance of getting as much gas as possible.

I hope this help people out some. These are just the general way of playing terran in 1v1 matchups.

there is a problem with going 'heavy metal' against terran. the Ghost's lockdown is devastative unless you have A LOT of units.:D

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Well u WILL have a lot of units. In late game TvT i might have 12 BCs and 24 tanks. Tanks waste ghosts so u need a lot of micro to pull off lockdown, and u can only lockdown BCs. Ghosts also require a lot of teching, so u only get them in late game. And u'll probarbly be dead long before that because 12 golliaths and 6 tanks can kill 48 marines and 12 medics.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Yes, kill zerg. It is impossible to beat zerg without marines and medics.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Zerglings are some of the best units in the game.

SmashBros.Pro

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
I found a new strategy that works pretty good. After you make some basic deffence with Terran (Bunker, Wall, Tanks) Make some about 10 Medics and put them where your SCV's are mining and they will heal them, works good if your Muta rushed and you need some time to get a counter. I call the strat S&M :D

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
OR, u could just drop the wall, scout the enemy and use 2 SCVs if the enemy ling rushes, make 2 barracks, start making marines, get factory (for tech to vessels) and an academy, make some medics and attack. If the enemy makes mutas, 1 bunker and 2 missile turrets should hold off an attack long enough for u to bring ur marines to the mineral field (they probarbly wont even try to attack the bunker)

Raccoon

Post Djinn
Reaction score
LOL. Use a SCV & Medic rush instead of Marine & Medic.. that very humiliating for your victim!

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
I meant blocking the ramp with 2 SCVs and a marine behind so that zerglings wont get through.