Steam Tanks, er I mean "SIEGE ENGINE"

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well, they seem like a fun unit to do, but my tries with it in 3v3s haven't been... convincing.

Well, so I go Pally, seeing as his aura can give the tanks more life and tech once I get 7 foots. Then at tier 2, I tech again and drop 2 workshops.

But by this time, the enemy is knocking at my teammates door. Unable to help him, I continue massing until I get a dozen. Then I proceed to hit the enemies base and continue to the next and next.

However, right when we cleared the main bases of them, it wasn't game over. The enemies in that time have cleared me and my other teammates bases. So we scramble to find their bases, but sadly, they are elf. That means lots of hiding.

So in total, at least in 3v3 and big map games, tanks don't seem that great. While you can kill their structures, they can kill yours. But if your armies ever meet, you tanks can't do anything.

Tanks are slow, they take longer than knights, a four food unit to build! At tier 2, the workshop doesn't give you much to build. Gyro? Dies fast, but maybe good for scouting. Mortar? But you need to save money for tanks. Tanks move so slow and by the time you kill their base, they are slowly working yours.

Yea, so I've heard they are okay in smaller 1v1 2v2 games, but I find other units to work better than these.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Tanks can serve as melee bait or anti air for a balanced human army in FFA. Being able to target more than one air unit is an advantage you don't want to over look.

In 4on4, a good mix of Morts and Tanks can easily rip anything apart. Especially with a paladin jacking off devotion and another player's kodo giving command.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
Massing them only helps if it is 4v4 and your opponents have 2 people that went air.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
In FFA, they can pretty much save your life. Especially against night elves. Almost every night elf I have faced on FFA has done chippos.

Nub

Member!
Reaction score
I massed tanks all the time in 3v3 and it was effective. Mostly because they just dont die.

Chims vs tanks is fun to watch too. Its the only time I feel bad for NE.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Tanks can still be killed. It's even worse when you use them against orc and he knows what Raiders are. I have a screenshot somewhere in the Replay's section where I actually killed a mass of tanks using G+R, BM and a PL (this was back when I was pretty crappy). Truly was a silly game.

The only reason they don't die is because either you use them against an air user who is an idiot and doesnt back them up or focus fire on them. Or they didn't bring siege weapons.