Sony copies Revolution

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not exactly like the rev controller, because it only has tilting.

And yeah, when i saw the controller, i LOL'd really hard, rofl.

Chaos Marine

Member!
Reaction score
omg!!! sony made a machine that plays games and something that controls characters on the screen!!! they copied nintendo!!!

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
-_-; Great... Flame city...

YES it was an imitation. NO it was not a copy! Will I get a PS3? That depends on the library, but it definatly won't be at launch. It's too darned expensive. Sony copied/duplicated some, not all, the technology Nintendo used for the Wii. I'm unsure if it's even enough for a lawsuit, but we shall see. I am getting the Wii.

I'm sorry, but some of the games announced and speculated are amazing! It's going to, truely, be the best FPS console, even compared to the PC, and it may even revitalize that sorry genre for me. I'll get the Wii, likely reserving it the moment that's available. I'll probably end up getting the PS3 over the X-Box 360, but that'll be based on library...and pricecuts combined with used finds.

L

Laharl

What, this is a surprise to you? Besides, anyone who calls FPS games a "Sorry Genre" have obviously played neither TS2 or PD.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
FPS basically died after Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. Time Splitters is...meh. Despite repeated, attempted revivals through games like Metroid Prime, games like Halo have continued to kill the FPS genre. I've played the games. I just find them quite droll.

To Summary: I like Metroid Prime(1&2), Perfect Dark 64, and Golden Eye.

If you're asking me if this was a surprise, I have to report a negative. I saw it coming almost two months ago when a news article leaked gyro controls for the PS3 controller and leaked blueprints showing that the specifications between the, at the time, Revolution and PS3 controllers showed too many simularities to be a coincidence, and it implicated that Sony used bits and pieces of Nintendo's technology in their new controller.

L

Laharl

Actually the standard appearance for the console controller hasn't changed too much since the Sega Genesis from what I see. All they did was add more buttons. Oh yes, and Perfect Dark was an absolutely awesome game. I've only played Metroid Prime 1 (And beat it).

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I speak of the inner-workings of the controllers for each, individual system. The standard for controllers was actually set by the NES and SNES, if I recall timefram correctly, and the Genesis was basically a beefier (as in X-Box original controller versus...anything else...sheer size wise) version of the SNES.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sony should just drop the whole tilt sensor thing though. Seriously, Kutaragi is ****ed up.

L

Laharl

Sony should also drop the price, but that's a different story.

First Ken mocks it as nothing more than a gimmick, yet they take this as their own. Even worse, people are calling it an innovation. Open you eyes and see how original their controller is.
That says it all right there. Because of this I'm considering not buying a PS3 for my console collection. At least until it becomes available in the local gaming store.

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I too laughed when I read the stories. But, once I read it thru and figured it was no where near what the Wiimote is capable of, I just passed it off as a gimmick for the PS3. Seriously, it is a gimmick for them, since they have been riding the super power boat, a tilt sensor does little to enhance it's playing ability.

L

Laharl

The sensor thing seems like the type of system that you either need to go all the way, or not bother at all. Regardless, this coupled with the outrageous price of the console are the reasons why I'm going to wait until I can get it second hand.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Or you could steal it.

I don't know what's worse, Ken mocking the idea, then using a limited form of it in the PS3 controller or the fact that Sony still employs this jackass.

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Because this is the first time in the history of commercial sales that one brand has adopted another brand's ideas? Puhlease.

That's how the industry works, like it or not. If nothing else it forces competition.

I give it a "meh."

_JaKE

Reaction score
@ the thread title it should be: "Sony copies Wii"

Nintendo laughs last on Sony's PS3 announcement
Posted May 09, 2006 at 08:34AM by Kristine S.

Listed in: News

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," said a Nintendo spokesperson to CNN Money.com's correspondent. Indeed, PS3's announcement with regards to their exclusive controller is something to laugh at. The two exclusive controllers look exactly the same but is said to be entirely different. Sony tries to explain that the new controller "is of industry standard." Consoles can come up with the same thing because it's already a given. It's almost saying that nobody owns the rectangle shaped controller and anybody can use the same idea. On one hand, Sony is right, however, could this be a sign of lack of creativity on Sony's end or it could be as complex as corporate espionage.

As E3 dawns another day, we can only wonder if the Xbox360 too will have something like the Wii Mote. More than the controllers, in the end, the question is the prices. With the prices of the Xbox360 and Playstation 3 at $400 to $500, maybe Nintendo will have something up their sleeves if they do announce that their console would only cost the rumored $250. I guess the best option for most of us is to wait for Nintendo's announcement in a few hours. Maybe they might have the last laugh.

Now that E3 is here, one of the things that has fanboys and girls on their toes is the possibility of an up-close look at Nintendo's next-gen console Wii. More than it's controversial name, Wii's controller has really spawned a 'revolution'. Aside from motion-sensitivity, the Wiimote will also contain a small amount of memory, which can be used to store sound files. These sound files can later be heard via the controller's internal mini speaker.

Now how is that a good thing? Example, while playing a FPS game, one can simulate gunshots from the Wiimote; this plus the force feedback is sure to give you a game experience that will surely blow your mind. Or perhaps you can use this feature for communication? Maybe we could just whisper into the controller and send audio via the console to another player's controller.

Hey, some of these may be pure speculations, but we're pretty sure, once you play around with Wii, you'll find other uses for the Wiimote's speaker.

"Teh intarwebz" is in an uproar over the announcement of the PlayStation 3 controller. I myself was laughing myself silly during the announcement, imagining the chaos that would ensue. What stands is that Nintendo fanboys are screaming their heads off about Sony copying Nintendo's idea while Sony fanboys are denying that they ever called the WiiMote a "useless gimmick."

Those of us who have got past this stage can look at it more closely. The two controllers really are not the exact same thing. What's the big difference? One is limited in its function and the other isn't. The limited one, for those wondering, is the PS3 controller.

The PS3 controller senses tilting.
The Wii controller senses motion.

This means that although you can swing a sword (Dragon Quest Swords), aim a gun (Red Steel), throw a ball (Madden Wii), or swing a racket (Tennis Wii) with the WiiMote, you cannot do the same with the Dual Shock 3. What can the DS3 do? It can do little functions like acting like a fishing rod, as a steering wheel for racing games.

In short, the DS3 can be used for minigames or in racing games. It will not have entire gaming experiences built around it. It is Sony's way of 1up-ing Microsoft, not Nintendo.

What will be most interesting is how Microsoft will respond.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Revblade and _Jake...

THANK YOU! for finally realizing that this is not a copy!

I agree with the article. Considering the good relations between Sony and Nintendo executives, this is, most likely, a simple way for Sony to 1-up Microsoft. Why? Microsoft has a huge lead, in terms of market time, with the 360. It's not insurmountable for the PS3 or Wii to overcome; in fact, it's more a short hill to climb than a mountain. However, where Nintendo has price-point and full motion control, Sony has graphics... That's not enough to push people over the edge to choose PS3>360. How do you respond? Maybe you imitate/flatter another competitor...who's not really a competitor anymore (as Nintendo has said they are not striving to be in this 'war') with something that seems gimmicky...but can be quite useful.

I can just imagine the expanded gameplay you would have in Grand Turismo. Now, I'm not a fan of GT, but, come on, it's a Sony franchise that's done quite well!

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy to tell that the DS3 isn't a copy of a Wii mote.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Is 'WiiMote' what it's actually being called? =/

Anyway. I agree. Similarities exist, and that is something that cannot be denied. However, Nintendo did reveal a very interesting new feature. A built in speaker...possibly even MIKE!, for added functionality. Interesting to see how that might be used.

FYI: I somewhat doubt the mic...

_JaKE

Reaction score
i was really pissed at sont when they announced it then i realized there was nothing to be pissed at. yay it can make a car drive. what else? can it shoot a gun, swing a sword, act as a tennis racket, play like a baseball bat? i say no.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
You pretty much got it... =/ But a game that'll be on PS3 and Wii, Hammer...something, will use the motion-sensing properties of both consoles.