"Sin" Taxes.

Tempest Storm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.war3.com
Now I don't know if this effective in Canada, but in the US, there are things called sin taxes. These are taxes that are targetedat certain things that are generally considered wrong, taboo, or bad for your health. These include booze, cigarettes fatty foods and I even think they have some for caffine too, considering the recently defeated law in Seatle that would rise the price of expressos 10 cents simply because it was addictive.

So what do you think about the "sin" taxes? Are they right, are they justifiable, are they needed, are they good for us, do they need to be increased of decrease, ect, act.

Go.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I don't think they tax tabaco and alchool because they are addictive but because they are widely used. The more people use them the more profitable the tax system is. It makes a lot of sense from an economic point of view.

As for the *morality* of it: Alchool and tabaco are considered *luxury* items - which means that people can live without them.
I don't think that taxing them is a bad idea.

The problem starts when they try to tax things like espresso coffee (the vote they failed to pass in Seattle). A decision like that would have made the definition of *luxury items* very confusing.

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
caffeine is a luxury item:p its bad for you and its unneccessary (sp - man i suck at that word!) but i get what you mean. technically then coke.. coffee flavoured cheesecake would all be taxed. i think its great that things like alcohol and cigarettes are taxed more heavily if it aids in anyway to decreasing the prevalence of addictions in our society. If you are only drinking in small amounts it shouldn't be a financial problem. i guess the same should be said for smoking aswell. However it is sad that many kids or whatever will suffer more because people who are allready addicted now haved to spend more money

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jaden
i think its great that things like alcohol and cigarettes are taxed more heavily if it aids in anyway to decreasing the prevalence of addictions in our society.
Higher taxes don't decrease the prevalence of addictions in our society, Jaden. We just pay more for our addictions and we hope that the money we pay are used for a *good cause*.

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
mmm maybe i think it does prevent SOME people from starting in the first place. well maybe if they were really really expensive it would.. but like i said it would msot likeyl cost the families of the addicted

Tempest Storm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.war3.com
I can see why they are taxed, from an economical standpoint, it's genious. But these items are being taxed to death. In New York alone, cigarettes cost a good 7$. And thats just for one pack! Now I know New York is an expensive place, but thats redculous!

Crimson-Shade

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Spike~
I can see why they are taxed, from an economical standpoint, it's genious. But these items are being taxed to death. In New York alone, cigarettes cost a good 7$. And thats just for one pack! Now I know New York is an expensive place, but thats redculous!
well if you live in PA, there like 2.50 a pack :)

but these "sin" taxes, there so stupid and there just a way to make money for the whatever orginatzion is pushing for it. People will sin no matter what taxes they try to push on us.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
a box of Red's here cost like $25 I was in mexico tuesday and the same box is like $12 just because it requires no licence or tax.

Anyway back on point, higher taxes arent going to keep people from doing drugs they will just cost familys who in many cases cant afford it extra money...

Minnesota

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
They should take tax off cigarettes and booz, etc. etc. And the prices of ciggarettes keep going up, its gay, if someone wants to smoke, then let them, Jesus Christ... they keep upping the price like theres no tomorow. It is stupid.

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
haha our cigarretes are about 10 - 14$ everywhere that is about what 6 -8$ us?

i don't think we should let anyone smoke:p i hate it when people think they have the right to destroy other people's lives because they can't handle life without their smokes.

Tempest Storm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.war3.com
Destroy other ppl's lives? Are you sure you want to turn this into a cigarette topic, cuz I will ****ing own you if you do. Just givin ya some heads up. :)

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i have yet to believe that anyone f***ing owns me:p but yes if u want u can turn this into a cigarette topic.

the statement about destroying people's lives was (to give some background info) because i had just -10 mins before been at the shops sitting in the car waiting for mum when this guy came out with his daughter.. she was like i dunno 2 or sumthing? and she was soooo cute and absolutley beautiful. they were parked next to me and she was like "hiiiii:D" and anyways he put her in the car in the proper seat belt safety thing and was really sweet to her. and THEN GOT IN WOUND UP THE WINDOWS and started SMOKING!! arrrrgghhh what kind of irresponsible bastard subjects his kid to second hand smoke in a confined space. loser!!!!!!! that made me really angry people like that don't deserve children. i hate it when people think they have the right to destroy their bodies LET ALONE SOMEONE ELSES!!!!!

Tempest Storm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.war3.com
Ppl do have the right to destory their bodies...as long as you don't hurt anyone else (physically) while hurting yourself. So, I agree, he was an idiot to do that to his kid.

And Jaden, I've ****ing owned you forever. :p

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ur such a tosser! so what ur pretty much saying is that though they don't have the right to destroy other people physically they do have the right to destroy them emotionally?

Tempest Storm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.war3.com
Yes. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to dump a girl who I didn't like, even though she might like me. I can't control what other ppl feel towards me. I have the right to live my life the way I want. I can't run everything I do in life by other ppl's emotions.

~Screwed

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Spike~
Now I don't know if this effective in Canada, but in the US, there are things called sin taxes. These are taxes that are targetedat certain things that are generally considered wrong, taboo, or bad for your health. These include booze, cigarettes fatty foods and I even think they have some for caffine too, considering the recently defeated law in Seatle that would rise the price of expressos 10 cents simply because it was addictive.

So what do you think about the "sin" taxes? Are they right, are they justifiable, are they needed, are they good for us, do they need to be increased of decrease, ect, act.

Go.
What better way to shove religion down the people's throats than 'sin taxes'?

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
I can Honestlly say I have never heard of anyone dieing of second hand smoke, that is something I like to call bullshit propaganda. So please dont use that as an excuse to ban cigs....

Jaden

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well its not i have relatives who died from second hand smoke, and i know people who have had asthma attacks from others smoke annnnddd alot of people develop cancer from being subject to it.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
No not really.... Yeah if you have asthma and you breathe in smoke generally you will tend to have diffculty breathing...

SOLUTION ROLL DOWN THE WINDOW IF THEIR IS A PERSON WITH ASTHMA IN YOUR CAR!!!