Recomend a first character with newb with no gear?

rkiga

Reaction score
First character recomendations for Sorc with no gear?

ok i've decided on a sorc now... probably want to skip this first second and read my edit now...

i haven't played D2 in about 4 years but i did play all of the orginal 5 characters. i know things have changed and there's more to think about for pvp and pvm.

i'm not trying to make a perfect character, only one that will level well enough so that i can get gear for my next character. basically i want to make a decent all-around PvM character with a bit of PvP on ladder on a completely new account with no gear, and not have it be boring. a friend started a bowazon this week so i'll level with him frequently. planning a character with godly gear that give +20 million to skills is fine, but that's not what i'm going to be able to do. i dont necessarily plan on the char being a MF one. that would be great but i think it's more important to level fast and compliment the bowazon, or whoever i'm grouped with. i'm thinking sorc, maybe orbs, but i played a MF orb sorc to get gear for my bowazon back in 1.6, i dont know if i want to be do that for the next 15 years again. any thoughts? maybe necro? i tried assassin in single player, seemed fine for bosses and hard mobs, but terrible for large groups, like act3, am i wrong? maybe i should just try druid, but they seem like some horribly weird, boring, bastard child of the necro and sorc.

ok thanks for the ideas. so i'm really leaning towards orb sorc now as planned. bliz sorc seems kind of *bleh*. are they not *bleh* in your opinion for a first character? my choice now seems to be what kind of orb sorc. i've read all of the stickied guides here and some other sites.

SweatyOgre's seems best, as i get to pump warmth which will help as i'll have less mana / regen then most people as it is:
20 - Ice Bolt
20 - Frozen Orb
20 - Cold Mastery
20 - Warmth
1 - Static Field
1 - Telekenesis
1 - Teleport

is that 1 point into static assuming i have +skills? is that only for bosses now and not mass groups? i heard static had its radius reduced dramatically. should i pump points in it now, and do it early in the game?

also, there are also some guides that ditch ice bolt syn for points into TS or whatever, should i do this since i'm going to be mostly PvM, with some PvP to keep me un-bored until i can make my next char? or would this just make my less viable in PvP and PvM aswell? i should just pump ice bolt and skip those ice immune mobs?

ok so zero ES in 1.10 because it sux now and i have low mana anyways right?

oh ya and what is telekenesis usefull for? i tried searching this site and couldn't find it with the search tool. i know you can open chests and crap like that, but i mean do u use it for stunning bosses or something? wtf? just a prerequisite? but the others arent listed...

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Javazons, always strong.

iownthefrench

Member!
Reaction score
what about a shockadin? they do a shitload of skill based damage even at mediocre low levels

dP

Member!
Reaction score
he is a newb- so he should start with basic characters before getting to complicated characters like the sorc or the necro.

nyczbaka

Member!
Reaction score
dont go bowazon...they suck a$$
my wf zon can barely kill in hell act5
if i were you, do what i did
make an mf sorc FIRST
then build your playing chars with items the sorc finds

Guru

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dP said:
he is a newb- so he should start with basic characters before getting to complicated characters like the sorc or the necro.
sorc's aren;t that complicated, all he has to do is follow someone's guide. If we wants to get decent, he will need the items a sorc can find him

simpleforce

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
orb sorc, if ur starting to play online first time get a orb or blizzard sorc just to mf. then after that concentrate on everthing else. Otherwise if u think u can get Enigma make a Blessed Hammer Pally

simpleforce

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dP said:
complicated characters like the sorc or the necro.
quote for the false

rkiga

Reaction score
edit: i'm not looking for an easy character coordination wise, just one that doesn't require good gear, will level fast to get gear for my next character, not be boring, good solo, and good with a bowazon partner.
nothing fits really, pallys are boring, sorc dont compliment a bowizon too well, asns and druids are *bleh*, seems like barbs are most dependent on gear (i'm probably wrong here). haven't really thought about necros except i never liked them for pvp when i played back in 1.06, i guess they might be a good choice tho.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
My opinion go with a zealot, a not so hard build, and it will also help out the bowzon your going to lvl with. Also, gear for one is reasonable, if your not looking for something godly.

c9h13no3

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've already decided for him that he's building either:
a sorc
a necro
a hammerdin

So, guy, pick which one you wish to build.

rkiga

Reaction score
c9h13no3 said:
I've already decided for him that he's building either:
a sorc
a necro
a hammerdin

So, guy, pick which one you wish to build.
thank you for "deciding for me" really i need somebody strong to tell me what to do, are you single? do you want to be the father of my babies? really tho i'm very undecisive, good thing i haven't stolen my copy of D2 from my friend yet or i'd just sit there at the character select screen for 5 hours.

ok hammerdin was the most boring char i ever built, they're soooooo passive, it's like, "hey mobs/dude i'm dueling, i've built a spiral of death for you to walk into, come teleport to me, just make sure u pick the right spot so i'll hit u". so no hammerdin pls.

so sorc or necro... i really dismissed necros as i never really liked them much, but they would work well solo pvm and duoing pvm with a bowazon. maybe they're not so bad. except they seem more gear dependent than sorcs, esp in getting enigma, etc. at least dueling with necros not so boring like barbs/bowazons. i guess i dont really want a class that owns in dueling (even if none exist), i'd almost want a class that sux in pvp so i would have more fun. gahh wtf do i make?!

maybe i should stick to playing pong

iownthefrench

Member!
Reaction score
Actually, if you make a sorceress though, I'd make a fire sorc before a blizz sorc... why? because fire sorc items are a hell of alot cheaper to get and you can become decently powerful with it fast (fb/meteor)

edit: try to get rockstopper, leaf, vipermagi, mf shoes/ammy/rings, and frosties. you can be good enough to moat mephisto with that... or get a tarnhelm, those are nice if you aren't getting nailed with lots of elemental damage down there (as most people are). why did I suggest this build? I've rejoined b.net 4 times now due to various bannings and every time this build has worked awesome for a first build. have fun

rkiga

Reaction score
as i remember, fire sorcs suck anus pvp, has that changed? or did u mean it's just a good starting class in general, not necessarily for me? at least an ice sorc could freeze stuff for my bowazon partner, fire sorc is just more dmg, i guess it's about the same anyways.