New Design Preview! - BattleForums v2.0!

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Hi,

Alright, the long awaited BF 2.0 is 75% finished. I am still working (along with a couple of techy guys) on the portal page and how everything works.

Anyways, here is a little preview of the design that will be used. It's basically a customized version of what max released:

If you have any suggestions at all, now is the time to speak BEFORE I implant the design, so be sure to post them all here :).

Thank you,
Donny

PS, I have a matching forum skin as well of course.

TRY TWO:

Untitled Document

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Even though I welcome the addition of color, the banner is overloaded for my taste. And the logo is still weak.

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't want to down the work, but I don't like the skin. I didn't like it before either. It just looks too rough, and poorly designed. Not to mention when we posted an image, the whole entire skin ****ed up. I like the logo though..atleast partially. The logo is a decent start..but the rest..meh. I don't like it.

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Have examples of sites that does have a great design for me to base it upon?

Overall, I will be basically editing the upcoming skin based on that one. To be honest, I think the new one is a lot better than the current one. There's nothing special going on on this one :S.

Thank you,
Donny

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
we have grown 2 love this skin n u r gonna take it away donnace? to give us that thing?

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Background images feels like a rush job imo

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
It is great, except for the fact the only problem BF doesn't seem to have is an abundance of people needing to constantly change the skin around.

Whenever anyone seems to not be doing anything else, they work on a skin to distract from the fact all the other problems are unresolved.

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
Have examples of sites that does have a great design for me to base it upon?

Overall, I will be basically editing the upcoming skin based on that one. To be honest, I think the new one is a lot better than the current one. There's nothing special going on on this one :S.

Thank you,
Donny
Examples to base it on? I could try to find something..

Personally though, I think the one we have now is better. This one isn't great, but when the one Max had made was added as the default, the majority of people hated it..so max got us this one. The old one had potential imo, but it felt extremely rough and unfinished. Maybe you can give it the polish it needs, though.

Dunno if this helps, but the blue in the screenshot doesn't look very good (in my opinion). I know some people said it needed more color, but I don't think that color is it. It looks out of place. Just my opinion of course.

Anywho..my suggestions:

1)Don't make it so narrow. If it's too skinny, it looks bad.
2)Make a better header..something simple yet still stands out.
3)Make the color scheme better. The half light grey/blue half dark blue looks bad imo. Try to make it all flow better.
4)fix the image issue if it hasn't been fixed. I know when people posted large images, it screwed up the entire skin.

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
we have grown 2 love this skin n u r gonna take it away donnace? to give us that thing?
I will leave this skin as an option for you to choose once the new skin is up.

It is great, except for the fact the only problem BF doesn't seem to have is an abundance of people needing to constantly change the skin around.

Whenever anyone seems to not be doing anything else, they work on a skin to distract from the fact all the other problems are unresolved.
The skin comes along with BF v2.0 (portal page, a contest, etc). There's a whole lot going on other than skin development.

Examples to base it on? I could try to find something..

Personally though, I think the one we have now is better. This one isn't great, but when the one Max had made was added as the default, the majority of people hated it..so max got us this one. The old one had potential imo, but it felt extremely rough and unfinished. Maybe you can give it the polish it needs, though.

Dunno if this helps, but the blue in the screenshot doesn't look very good (in my opinion). I know some people said it needed more color, but I don't think that color is it. It looks out of place. Just my opinion of course.

Anywho..my suggestions:

1)Don't make it so narrow. If it's too skinny, it looks bad.
2)Make a better header..something simple yet still stands out.
3)Make the color scheme better. The half light grey/blue half dark blue looks bad imo. Try to make it all flow better.
4)fix the image issue if it hasn't been fixed. I know when people posted large images, it screwed up the entire skin.
1)What's skinny?
2)What should be changed in the header?
3)What would you prefer? Black? Something dark?
4)There's a mod for that that auto resizes all images that are too large for the skin. That will be handled.

Thank you,
Donny

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I saw the working version of a lower one of this (didn't have the banner done, and a few things are different), and trust me it's much better than the current version.

It might not seem like it from just looking at it, but once you actually use it, you'll like it.

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
1)What's skinny?
Well I guess that's subjective...and also depends on desktop resolution. It's also hard to tell from a screenshot. I just think alot of skin designs waste too much space. I prefer a fluid skin (one that's 100% width) but that's just me. If you center it, I guess I just suggest to not make it look so thin. That I think, can be easily adjusted.

2)What should be changed in the header?
Uhh..I'm not sure. The blood looks strange and out of place. I think that doesn't work well, atleast with how it is right now. I'm not sure what else, but it looks "weak' as galatia said. I do like the background, but the header just seems so empty. I'm not really sure what to add to it, though..

3)What would you prefer? Black? Something dark?
I personally like the colors of the boxes on the left (the darker ones). I'm not sure why the others were changed to that grey/blue. I just think you should stick with making the boxes on the portal all one color (whatever color that may be).

4)There's a mod for that that auto resizes all images that are too large for the skin. That will be handled.
<3

--

btw, can we see a preview of the forum index? :butterfly

-edit, so i got bored..

Don't know if it's an improvement or not. and there's only so much you can do with a screenshot, and the borders are a bit messed up..but..

but i do think the boxes should be similar in color and the header needs to be changed a bit.

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Alright then! I'll get right to it. I probably won't be able to launch by New Years, but hopefully right after then.

Thank you,
Donny

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
SCGhost ftw anyone?

horrible job btw roach =P

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
Lawl. Thanks. Like I said, it's tough altering just a screenshot and making it look how you want. Although, I do think the colorscheme is a bit better. The logo and background were not part of my proposal. They were just there.

Scghost was a good skin indeed.

Ninja_Blue

[ Official Forum Ninja ]
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
That skin looks like it is making this forum biased to WoW more, and I have a certain distaste for WoW.

Why not make a skin for each game? One for Diablo universe, one for SC universe, and one for the WarCraft universe.

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
That skin looks like it is making this forum biased to WoW more, and I have a certain distaste for WoW.

Why not make a skin for each game? One for Diablo universe, one for SC universe, and one for the WarCraft universe.
That might cost a bit of money. Custom skins aren't cheap.

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Way too colourful with the splatter of blood. We're not selling images of Manhunt or Resident Evil (or are we?). I mean, understandably you'll want the top part to be as attractive as possible since it'll be the first thing people see, but maybe if the images are balanced out a little more?

Of course, we need a better logo too. :)

- Amantis