NE~What is the best counter to riflemen?

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
What is the best counter to riflemen?

I just got friggin' smeared by a shitload of riflemen... what's the counter... it's not piercing.. because archers didn't work... it's not melee, because hunts got blown away... so what's the deal?

CitricAcid13

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well, Melee is the answer. You just need to outbuild and outupgrade him. He probably just had full yupgraded rifles... and tons of them. And not as many hunts. Also throw in some DotC for roar and for the melee.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Get some Mountain giants, maybe 2 or so. that way if they try to focus fire your hero, you can taunt.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
yeah, well... riflemen are a tier and a half unit... where MG's are a tier 2 and a half.... So what do I do until that point? just taunt them? there is no Elf melee, Dryads are the elf melee, the cheapest and quickest to get. DoTC's are 2nd, MG's are 2nd and bears last... they can own you long before you get any of those units.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
alright... did you guys miss the part that this was towards the begining of the game??? those high end units with all those upgrades aren't available at that time, I was at Teir two at the time... and doesn't piercing have an effect on MG's?

Whaturmuva

Eating the souls of children
Reaction score
Website
aqua-teen.com
hmm id say get a dh with immolation and alot of archers..hunt have no armor and get pwnd

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
Whaturmuva, the archers still have a lot less HP than a riflemen, I find the riflemen extremely hard to killthe NE are still in major need of a melee unit

Thistle

Senior Spammer
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if night elfs need meelee so bad then how come we r kickin @$$ in the tourney? i heard 60% of the games nightelfs were in, they won

although we have MG for meelee, we need something tier 1...

Xiode

Member!
Reaction score
Faerie, finally something intelligent....
NE has good melee, if you know how to combine it with ranged. Hunts, are somewhat melee, and can be good meat shields for dryads, archers, dott....etc...
Also, MGs and bears own with their high hp, and nice dmg. NE dont really need too much melee anyway, because most of their units are either air or ranged with special abilities that help them deal with tough melee.

Solidus7

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
watch replays, they help. find the top ne ranked players and get as much replays of them as possible

CitricAcid13

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'd still have to go with pure hunts. You said you were tier 2... Go hunts! They do extra dmagae to you you do extra damage to them. But you do more damage. Plus a DH with immolation would own them up close. If they run don't let them!

Xiode

Member!
Reaction score
Hunts are good combined with archers early on, but there are better units once you get to tier 2 or 3....DotT and DotC work quite well together.

Silynt Rage

Member!
Reaction score
I tried the MG thing It was difficult to get past the riflemen at first... but as soon as I got out the first MG they were forced into a teir 3 mode... and then it was downhill because I got a second MG, I'd taunt with one, then I'd taunt wiht the other, back and forth, finnally I ended up beating them. I love MG's now, I just wish I could get them faster.