Lag/High Ping

Majin_ZZ

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
When i play Steam, my ping goes up to about 150 Ping no matter the server. I got 512 ram fairly new comp, I use DSL, anyone know what the problem could be ??.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Does the Steam icon in the system tray have little dots over it? This means it's downloading content for one of your games. It will usually only last for a few minutes, and once it's finished, the pings will be normal again.

CyberneticSheep

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have the same problem as you majin, no idea what the hell it is. My ping is costantly in the 150-200 range, even tho i have cable, a brand new comp, and 512 megs of ram... i just dont get it....

Davemeister2

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
have you checked your filters to leave out any games over 100 ping? do a server list re-sort by ping and see how low it goes so at least you have an idea if the ping is high because of the servers you list or if it's because of your connection.

have you tried the speed test dsl tool at dslreports.com? just because you have cable doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna have a fast connection. if everyone in your neighborhood is online playing cs at the same time, you're all going to lag each other. :p

Majin_ZZ

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I tried the test and my results were:

Your download speed : 822755 bps, or 822 kbps.
A 100.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 331674 bps, or 331 kbps.

From what i know this is a descent connection, but still not enough to make me ping ...

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
do what davemaster said first, its not about broadband or not, its about location of server relative to you and performance of server aswell as performance of your internet provider in pings. also try pinging a random website: go md dos command prompt, enter ping [address here]. you could try ping www.google.com or any other web server that should give you a decent connection and is in the area/country you live

Majin_ZZ

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well, I play with my friend that lives just down the street from me and his ping is like 75 lower than mine

Above_70Percent

Member!
Reaction score
Website
ourworld.cs.com
im running cable i have like 50 ping