Key units

DeathClaw

Member!
Reaction score
okay ppl
what is the key unit in your basic day to day strategy?
and what would you do to substitute this unit?
or how would you adapt your strategy to fit the loss of this unit?
(this isnt mine but)i.e.:
fav unit-archon
to substitute it i would prbly use reavers or not get as much gas to supply the ht

cant think of a unit on the spot...doesnt help that im pushed for time :p
ill post when i get one

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
Miners, DTs, Tanks, Mutas or Lurker

I donno what to replace them with.

betaalpha5

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
zeal and goons for main force, dts and HT to cover flanks. add maybe a few scouts for air cover

dArKmIsChIeF

Member!
Reaction score
for toss: all Goons, about 12 HT, 5 Reavers or so (for recall), and 2-8 Arbiters (then use Hallucination till i ahve about 20).

for zerg: either Hydras or Mutas or Guard/Hydra, then following with Lings or Ultras

for terran: M and M rush, then following Tanks, if goes into long game, Wraiths, if a nr game, bc/science vessel

and of course: ALWAYS DETECTORS

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
I always have Tanks, no matter who I go against (unless it's a quick game). Tend to have more in TvT and Tvp, but I do get them in TvZ. Vultures possibly, but I don't use them in all my TvZ games. Science Vessel as well.

DeathClaw

Member!
Reaction score
dArKmIsChIeF said:
for toss: all Goons, about 12 HT, 5 Reavers or so (for recall), and 2-8 Arbiters (then use Hallucination till i ahve about 20).

for zerg: either Hydras or Mutas or Guard/Hydra, then following with Lings or Ultras

for terran: M and M rush, then following Tanks, if goes into long game, Wraiths, if a nr game, bc/science vessel

and of course: ALWAYS DETECTORS
:O
that is some expensive game you play sir!

anyway
Terran: science vessels (theyre good for just about anything) surprisingly i incorporate wraiths into my play because theyre cheap compared to like some other units and they can cloak :D cloak is by far the coolest thing ever. in a mostly ground war i would use tanks and again wraiths, and maybe some goliaths
Zerg: mostly hydras defilers and overlords but sometimes i do add in a few scourge and other flyers like mutas..and if im feeling it then ill add in massezs lings :p
Toss: arbiters. despite their high cost they are so good. you can recall tropps you can statis your opponents miners you can cloak your other units.theyre just really good. other than that, some corsairs and scouts for air. observers (obviously), depending on how i fell i either use a team of reavers and archons (which is usually when i have a lot of money to spend) or zealots and some goon and dt support. (ratio for zealot to dragoon to dt is basically 6:3:1)
depending

anyway i use so many varieties of units i dont think you can really replace them without ruining the game...but imagine trying to play withotu these units:( pure hell but it would be a cool SCUMS map to make

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
If I was to lose Science Vessels, I'd get more Tanks, and probably some Goliaths with an extra Comsat Scanner. if I lost Tanks, I'd go with either mass marines/Medics (vs Zerg), or with many Goliaths, Vultures, and probably a small group of Battlecruisers (versus Terran/Protoss).

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
All Goons = Raped by Tanks and M&M by terran, raped by Zealot Goon Combo by protoss, raped by zerglings by zerg.

TheoStormhawk

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
DeathClaw said:
okay ppl
fav unit-archon
to substitute it i would prbly use reavers or not get as much gas to supply the ht

ill post when i get one
fav units:
battlecruiser and carrier

to replace battlecruiser maybe mass wraiths
to replace carrier maybe mass scouts

Aqua-THF

Member!
Reaction score
Key units will vary in a lot of ways. In 1v1 I am a Protoss player. When I play PvT, I usually go for early ranged Goon harrass into Reaver/Goon drops. If my opponent is still alive I try my best to contain while taking the map. This is, of course, on non-money maps, the only way to play.

In PvZ I try early Zealot harrassment followed by quick Storm or Archons depending on whether or not the Z is going Hydra or Muta. I continue to pump a good amount of Zealots to counter lings and to hold back Hydras while I storm. Dragoons are good, but I usually wait till I have 1 or 2 expansions before I start to get a considerable amount of them. One to three is usually enough early on untill you know exactly what your opponent is up to. When I find out, I adjust accordingly.

In PvP it is all about Goons. It is best to get Goons with range fast and upgrade. Reavers compliment the goons nicely, but it is important not to fall too far behind in your Goon count.

jhuni

Reaction score
my unit is the zergling cause they are goods for all kinds of combantioners

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
It varies depending on what mu it is.

TvsZ: M&M, Bats, Tanks, Vessels
TvsP: Vultures, Tanks, Goliaths
TvsT: Tanks, Wraiths, Dropship, Goliaths, Vultures

dArKmIsChIeF

Member!
Reaction score
I honestly do not like Scouts, they're 275 minerals and 150 gas? but they're really not that good, I'd rather go for some Wraith (150/100), but honestly, the most cost effective unit, is the Hydralisk.

jhuni

Reaction score
the most cost effective is zerglings (lots of tma experince) anyways my key units are mutas and lings

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
DeathClaw said:
okay ppl
fav unit-archon

ill post when i get one
There is no such thing as a "key" unit. Besides workers, every unit can be replaced depending on the situation. You say what about marines? PVT, depending on the map, you can wall and straight tank tech without them. Zerglings? Besides the 6 or so you build at the begining of a pvz, if he fast expands with a forge, you might only pump hydras and never build lings again. Zealots? What about quick dragoon tech pvp to reavers.

There is no such thing as a key unit, and suggesting it is very, vey stupid, and a very, very good indicator of your skill level.