How to get better in Ladder-style maps???

manofhonor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
First..when you talk about ladder maps, first thing everybody thinks about is Lost Templ..why is it so great? i Played it a lot, and lately im trying all other ladder and old ladder maps,from my point there are far more entertaining mpas out there than the everlasting LT.You probably think this is a newb talking, but i aint that bad...So all the ladder map pros out there, how did you start> how did you get from not so bad to good to pro?Not only by simply playing, cause you can play 100 games, if you have the same style itsl be the same thing..please give me a couple of tips....io hear micro helps a lot, (i got a very nice microtraing map) so im practicing it a lot...anything else i should know?

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
http://sclegacy.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=101

Here u will find proffecional gaming maps played by progamers. There are many fun maps there, and they all require different strategies.

The reason y most people play LT is that it is the only really good map blizzard has made. All games played on LT will allways be different, because of the special terrain.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
I think the reason people like lost temple and why ladder maps are considered to be for "good players" is because they allow the game to be played the way it was meant to be played. You aren't supposed to be allowed to get 24 carriers. It's mean to be more of a strategy game on ladder maps, rather than just "who has more units" that most of the money maps end up involving. I never really got into ladder maps though, just cause I hate expanding :D ... call me a newbie or whatever, but that's just me. In warcraft, however, i'm forced to expand, but i'm usually the last person to expand... although, i'm getting better.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Its not just the expanding. In non-money maps u also cant afford to lose units. If ur units are attacked u have to pull back or micro, u cant waste them. 3 zealots + 2 probes can make a lot of trouble for a zerg player in early game, the player with the best unit controll will win that battle.

Expanding is needed because u will run out of money. To constantly produce units out of many gateways u need money, and lots of it. In late game each player will have 2-3 bases and 2-3 minor expansions. Zerg players will have 4-5 expansions after 10 minutes to provide money for macro. Its all about the money. The goal of the game is not to destroy the enemy's main base, it is to keep him down economically by constantly striking workers and expansions.

The terrain is important in maps like LT. If u drop units on the cliffs above expansions it is harder to stop the drop because of the isolation. Units on low ground only have a 70% chance of hitting the target on top of the cliff, the same is for units hideing behind a tree. Also, units on low ground cant see units on high ground unless they are shooting at them, so u can create a suprise attack by using cliffs.
Cliff ramps, bridges and other choke points can make a really big difference. U cant send 40 hydras to attack through the ramp to his main base, they will be dead right away because they will be split up when only 4-5 can go up at once and the first ones will stop to attack. 4 siege tanks on a cliff can probarbly kill 50 marines without any problems. U have to think more strategically and drop in his peon line to kill his echonomy, or attack from many sides.
Ramps can be used to stop zergling rushes by placing 2 zealots to block the entrance. This way, only 2 zerglings will be able to attack the zealots at one time, so the zerg will have to pull back or lose his zerglings.

Non-money maps require a lot more strategy than money maps, the only thing money maps are good for is practicing micro.

manofhonor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i agree with evrything you say, thats why since i decided to play only non-money maps, im practicing micro a lot.I see the amelioraton already,its awfull when you think of all the people that doest use units corecly,with micro and with commen sense, you can use the units were and when they are more eficient....

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Well progamers usually play BW because its more balanced and requires more micro, so i dont know where to find good replays of sc original...

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
BTW u should buy BW, or at least download it. It is much better than SC original and only costs 10$.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
So did i until i found out BW was much better.:)

manofhonor

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The only reason im sticking to sc right now and not going into warcraft is my hope to see sc2 comming out soon

shrimpshark

Member!
Reaction score
ive got money for w3 but i can never get my gramps to pay me all the money he owes me!

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I have a burnt version of WC3 and i'd love to get into it. Its just that i need a better video card!!! And i have no money!