Dark Archons... under rated or over rated?

Silent_Assassin

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
personally i think most ppl who use protoss dont even think twice about using a dark achron to your advantage i mean..... say you get a archon.... you to go a zerg drone... mc'em and build your own zerg base... you know what kind of kool combos you can build......!?! i mean i seriosly think ppl never think twice about using a dark Archon... and what about Dark archon strats?

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Mind controlling SCVs or drones takes too long. However, mind controlling BCs, carriers, dropships or tanks can change the outcome of a battle.
Combining maelstorm and psionic storm vs hydras and/or ultras can destroy a zerg army.
Feedback can kill vessels, defilers, templars or queens, and draw a lot of hp's from a BC.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Like other related units (templar, arbiter, defiler) the dark archon takes some skill to use and most people don't bother with it because it's easier to just make lots of dragoons or carriers... and i'm one of those people. I never really found a use for dark archon in 99% of the games on bnet. It costs too much money / food supply to make archons and tech them up and it's only worth it if you're playing an intense 1v1 game or a large FFA game. I never used them otherwise. Maelstorm is the best thing he has IMO. That can 0wn zerg big time.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
If the map has terrain u cant win by massing units. It is impossible to win games on LT without useing defilers, templars, queens, vessels and such.

PsYcHoTiC

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Dark Arcons are a necessity in late game toss vs toss. They can easily kill 5 templars with their feedback spell, and in late game toss players tend to mass more and more templars. Mind control, as AKA said, are best for mind controlling BC's and Carriers, or even other DA's for a chain reaction. Don't waste time building another race, the only time I've done it is when I was just jacking around, maelstrom is also extremely effective against organic units if you use it right

Richochet

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Under rated...Most people don't even take them into consideration in the later game, when they can be quite usefull. I like most of its abilitys...tho I never mind control a drone ect...unless I have a wad of spare cash, and time.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Maelstorm freezes all organic units (for example a swarm of mutas) for a few seconds. Very effective if used together with storm or for deffence. Recall teleports an entire army to the arbiters location.

And i agree with PsYcHoTiC, DA's are best vs toss. They can also be usefull vs zerg and terran, but only in certan situations (like vs BCs or to stop ultra/ling in swarm)
But they are also usefull in FFA's, because u can be attacked at any time and DA's are usefull for defence (for example, u mind controll 3 BCs and use them for defence untill ur army arrives)

Raccoon

Post Djinn
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Recall teleports a whole army to the Arbiter's location. Just a portion of it, or unless you have an itty bitty army. You'll need more Arbiters to Recall Dragoons than Zealots because Dragoons are larger than Zealots are. Hmm, that may not be the best way to say that.. Think of Recall as a square, the more units in the square, the more get Recalled.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Who can afford arbiters before u have several expansions? And by that time u can also afford carriers.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I tend not to use carriers.

1) Cost
2) I never get enough to do serious damage
3) They can be countered easily

I just go with the other stuff basically. Never much air. Corsairs is all

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Not really, protoss air units can be really effective. Carriers + zealots own terran, corsairs + reavers own zerg in late game, scouts own BCs or carriers, and arbiters can be very usefull in late game.

Zmoney

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
yes

think about it if u control a zerg and toss base u have a great advantage becasue air will fall to u with the corsair devourer combo due to the devos purple needle stuff...
ur ground will kick A$$ due to toss sheilds and zerg cheapness
hail to arcons
(HIALINg)
HailINg)

Zmoney

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
o and

cairrers StInK they cost to mush and they dont kill big units like bc fast enough and can be countered easliy wast of cash

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I wouldnt say they stink. It's all in opinion anyway. I don't like to use them for the same reason but i dont hate them. Besides, i only use terran :)