CS Lag prob -> Tech support reply.

S

Sjalle

Hi when I came to the page where they explain how you can reduce your CS 1.6 lag, I read this :

1. Q: Why is my framerate in CS 1.6 so much lower than it was in CS 1.5?
A: For some reason, Steam likes to use the wrong opengl file to run Counter-Strike. Follow these steps to fix this problem:

- Open your Windows\System32 directory and search for the following file (based on your hardware):
- Nvidia-based card: nvoglnt.dll
- ATI-based card: atioglxx.dll
- Any other card: opengl.dll
- Copy this file (DO NOT remove it) into your \Steam\SteamApps\user@email\Counter-Strike\gldrv folder
Now when I open the System folder in Windows map, I can't find some names like that. Almost all of these strange names with big .DLL behind but nothing like the sorta names you have there in the quote. So I checked my gldrv folder in my steam map and there was a .dll file called "3dfxgl.dll". But I can't find nowhere else a sorta name like that in the system folder. Please help me.

(btw I have old graphic card: Hercules 4000XT and I lag sometimes hard in battles or lag sometimes show up in little pieces when running, very annoying. CS 1.5 worked very fine without lag and FPS 70 so what causes my prob here ? I also put off any other progs when running CS 1.6 but ...)

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I'm not sure you can do that tweak with that graphics card. Try just using the regular tweaks.

intel

Premium Member
Reaction score
I use these settings, just placem in userconfig.cfg
// FPS Tweaks
developer 1
fps_max 1000
cl_himodels 0
r_detailtextures 0
r_detailtexturessupported 0
r_mirroralpha 0
r_mmx 0
violence_ablood 1
violence_hblood 1
violence_agibs 0
violence_hgibs 0
precache 1
fs_lazy_precache 0
cl_dynamiclights 0
cl_shadows 0
cl_minmodels 1
s_a3d 0
s_eax 0
s_reverb 0
voice_dsound 1
d_spriteskip 1
cl_identiconmode 2
cl_particlefx 0
cl_weather 0
cd_fps 0
cl_corpsestay 1
hpk_maxsize 1
max_wallpuffs 1
max_shells 1
max_smokepuffs 1

// Ping Tweaks

cl_nopred 0
cl_lw 1
cl_lb 1
cl_lc 1
cl_download_ingame 0
cl_allowupload 0
voice_enable 1
voice_modenable 1
rate 20000
cl_updaterate 45
mp_decals 20
cl_rate 20000
cl_cmdrate 100
cl_cmdbackup "100"
Try disabling vsync in your gfx card settings.
I play wit ha 1024*768 resoultion and medium color quality 16 bit, gamma max, brightness in the middle, i get around a 60-100 fps...

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
You should be able to find opengl.dll in your WINDOWS\System32 directory. Open that folder and hit CTRL+F to search for it. If you can't find the file, don't worry about it. This tweak is said to be a rumor anyway.

Everyone gets lower FPS in CS 1.6. It's a fact. Why? Well, the good people at Valve refuse to tell us or fix the problem. CS 1.6 does look better than CS 1.5, but in my opinion, the FPS hit is rediculous.

S

Sjalle

Hey Demon I did everything you said that I had to change, I'll test it out tomorrow (too late now :p) and tell you if it works well.

Btw how do I turn off that vsync thing in my gfx card settings ?

Oh and Master, the opengl.dll file isn't there (I always play CS on OpenGL lol)

S

Sjalle

Hey I tested it out and it worked good, thx! I did had much less lag then before. Will that vsync thing cause lag too?

intel

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well your fps is supposed to be better if you disable it... so just try it, but you may not find it because maybe your gfx card is old or it doesn't support it.

S

Sjalle

Well when not in battle I have fps 99 ! So sweet with this 2.5yrs old computer. Great config!
I battles it draws to +-70 and I like it.
Thx guys!