Connecting to WoW with a SOCKS5 Proxy

Alton

Member!
Reaction score
Website
macsc.net
I am running a mac.

I have configured a SOCKS proxy in system preferences, which works fine for browsing.

However, WoW does not seem to use my proxy. Is there anyway to get WoW to use the default system proxy or a proxy of its own?

I did search first, but most of the other posts were not exactly my problem, because I do not have physical access to the proxy server.

alongley

Reaction score
Ah ignorance. As if simply using a Mac had anything to do with it.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I believe you have to make WoW socks-aware. I believe the way to do this is to use tsocks, which appears to read data from the WoW folder and redirect it to the socks proxy. Here's a link with more information. Since you already have a socks proxy, I think you can skip the earlier steps and skip to where you use tsocks. And yes I know this thread is quite old (and maybe, just maybe, the ignorant prejudice exhibited by the first responder has evaporated over time? one can hope), but I'm posting in case someone else googles for this and finds it. I found the thread in 8/2010.

Oh great, the battleforums admin is telling me I can't post a url until my second post.. wait a tic..

axpendix

Reaction score
Hello,

I am facing the same issue, I found a tool for applying proxy settings to every application automatically.

MacProxy. Unfortunately it is shareware and it has 30 days limitation, but it works brilliantly for me.

Another alternative is Authoxy but I havent tried it yet. It is freeware.

I have tried macports with tsocks but I believe because of proxy settings, I was unable to setup macports. I will also try that when I have direct internet connection.

I cant post links to products because I just registered, just google them they're #1.

axpendix

Reaction score
In addition,
If you are totally dependent to a proxy, you need to use this command in terminal every time you resume your mac from sleep:
sudo killall mDNSResponder
After that, macproxy works as it should.