Blizzard dropping Blizzcon 2012

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Blizzard won't be hosting Blizzcon 2012 this year. The Anaheim Convention Center will go without Blizzards annual event based on an unexpected announcement from Blizzard's blog today.

It isn't gone for good. Blizzcon will return in 2013 but the 2012 Battle.net World Championship will continue, holding tournaments for Starcraft II and World of Warcraft.

The reasoning behind Blizzard's announcement was given briefly
We're ... heavily focused on getting Diablo III, Mists of Pandaria, and Heart of the Swarm into players' hands as soon as possible. In light of our jam-packed schedule, we've decided to hold the next Blizzcon in 2013.
While this may make since from a quick glance, it pulls questions as to hidden reasons. An announcement via a blog seems inadequate for some of their extreme fanboys. It seems that such an event wouldn't take the same resources as game development anyhow. Additionally the lost revenues from event and more importantly the PR surrounding it seem a formidable loss.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never been to Blizzcon so doesn't have much effect on me, but it is rather curious

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I love catching the cosplay on youtube. Some people go all out. I know its not Blizz-like but I've always wanted a full on stormtrooper costume

maxhartman52

Member!
Reaction score
Interesting. I've never actually been their but have seen footage of it via. youtube like you guys. I really don't think this is an adequete reason in my opinion, and I think it will actually hurt them more then help them. However it is their choice so...

TheBiggestNerd

Member!
Reaction score
I honestly hope that they don't pick up Blizzcon anymore. I used to watch it for competitive WoW arena, but competitive WoW arena has been a huge joke for quite some time now. There's really no need for the SCII play there either because of how popular it has become with so many events being hosted for it already. I only ever really enjoyed the dance stuff because Jay Mohr, the guy who announced it all, was hilarious and would mock a lot of the competitors. They can just hold online panels or Q/As if they really want to announce something big; I don't feel there's a need for such a huge gathering. I've never actually been to one, so people that attend probably have a much better experience than someone who just gets to watch online.

I'm not really sure what they could do with Diablo 3 at Blizzcon since there is no real competitive environment for it whether PvE or PvP (since it's not released yet anyway). We'll see!