• Themed (Star Wars, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please post catergory)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
As the title reads, what's your favorite campaign style? DO you like classic medieval scenarios? Do you like modern shoot em' up scenarios? Maybe futuristic? Possibly themed like Star Wars?

Personally my favorite will always be the classic medieval setting, but an occasional modern or themed is nice. Currently my group is in the middle of a Star Wars d20 campaign. It's set around the same times as KOTOR.

L

Laharl

Yeah, I also prefer the classic medieval theme: Hack and slash with some roleplaying contents. Although futuristic and modern are fun to roleplay in, if properly written. Do you prefer magic heavy, or magic light as I call them?

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
It depends on the magic, haha. Usually magic heavy is pretty cool, though.

L

Laharl

Yeah, but if done poorly magic heavy can get a little dry. Using magic for everything tends to do that. (I mean like using gates to portal out garbage type of heavy).

I never tried a Star Wars themed d20, what are they like?

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
It's actually pretty fun, but parts of it are getting boring because one of our players (who usually takes role of leader) is leading us as a merc group more or less..accepting any and all jobs for cash..kinda lame..but meh it's cool yet.

L

Laharl

Sounds great.

Do you prefer "Kick in the door" game play, or more rp oriented? Both of which are fun to a lesser extent, but most of the DM's I had preferred the first.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
What do you mean by "kick in the door"?

L

Laharl

Kick in the door is more fully, and accurately, known as "Kick in the door and beat everyone up". It's pure combat style, with little to no room for deep roleplay or character development. Some people prefer this.

I prefer, as I said, a combination of the two because I enjoy both immensely.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
I guess a combo is nice. RPing in a storyline is actually more refreshing, but I do like the wam bam thank you ma'am kind of action, XD..

L

Laharl

Yeah. That's when you know you're in a great game. A little of each, and everyone's happy.

But then you get people who want to kill everything that moves...

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
The last campaign I played was built entirely by my dm. It was medieval with maps, entire histories, NPCs with entire backgrounds, basically everything designed by the dm. It was amazing. I like a lot of role playing, but sometimes my party would get bored with roleplaying and just need to kick the shit out of something. Our dm used to joke that he was going to just ditch his campaign and send us to the "valley of eternal combat" where we'd just fight shit till we died.

By the way, do you guys usually play in prebuilt campaign worlds like Forgotten Realms or the equivelant. The first campaign I ever did was Forgotten Realms, and it was pretty great, mostly because the DM was an amazing actor, but it really lacked the personal touch.

L

Laharl

Not really, I mostly use my own fantasy genre world which I built completely from scratch. The only problem is that nobody else could use my notes since I know them off by heart, so they need to write their own which they hate.