Ultimate Router Help FAQ

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Ultimate Router Help FAQ
Version 2!
By Aragorn7​

What is a router?
A router is a device that "splits" a connection amongst multiple computers. It assigns IP (Internet Protocol) addresses to all the computers on your network and allows you to share files and printers over the interface provided. Routers also have built in firewalls to protect your computer from malicious individuals who can gain access to your passwords/pins/credit card #'s. This is the firewall that also stops you from hosting custom games on BNET.

How do I know that I have a router?
A general rule about routers is this: If you have multiple computers accessing the internet at the same time, you most likely have a router.

I have a router, how do I host games?
Before we get to that it is important that you understand why your router is not allowing you to host games. The main reason is that your router is blocking connections to your computer. Warcraft 3 operates on port 6112 by default. Ports are much like doors, when open they let information in and out, and when closed they block information coming in. Your router is made by default to block ALL ports except for the ones that Windows uses for Internet Explorer and other OS specific programs. What you must do to fix your problem is open up port 6112 on your router.

Before you do that however, you must find out what router type you have. Since all routers are different you have to know your router type to configure it properly. To figure out your router type you actually have to find the physical location of your router, and look at the labels on it. Once you have found out what type/brand of router you have read the orange text below to configure your router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Telecom Routers:

Type this into the address bar: http://192.168.69.254/

A window will open and ask for your Username & Password enter it. Then a you will see a window with many different Options on the left. Click on Special Router Settings.
Then on the right you will see the following things:

Service Name: (Enter a name for the special rules for example: Bnet)
Service IP: (Enter here your own network IP. If u havent changed any settings in your router, the IPs are 192.168.69.x (1st PC = 1 2nd PC = 2 and so on..)
IP-Protocol: (here you needn't enter anything)
Start port: (Enter 6112 there)
End port: (Enter 6119 there)

Then make a mark at active.

Save the settings and restart your router and now it should work fine.

(thanks to Hackstation for the information!)

------------------------------------------
D-Link Routers:

Type this into the adress bar: http://192.168.0.1/adv_appl.html (Alternative: http://192.168.0.1/)

The default username is admin and the default password is blank. In the menu you might see something that says Battle.net. If you do see Battle.net in the list of applications that have special rules, enable the rule (since it is most likely disabled). If it isn't there then you need to make your own rules for battle.net. Type in this information into the required fields at the top:

Both Public and Trigger ports must be 6112. Both Trigger and Public Type should be set to "both". Click apply and all should be well.

If you need more help, here is d-link support site.

Linksys Routers:

Type this into the adress bar: http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm (Alternative: http://192.168.1.1/)

You will be prompted for a username and password. By default there is no username, and the password is admin. Once you've gotten past the log in you should be at the filters tab. Go to the Forwarding tab, then click on the Port Triggering button. Once you've done this, a new window will appear. Type in the ports like it says in this page. Click apply and, all done!

Netgear Routers:

Type this into the adress bar: http://192.168.0.1/

Enter in admin for the username and password as the password. Under Advanced, click Port Forwarding on the left menu. From the Service & Game (or Service Name) pull down, select battle.net. Battle.net might be listed here. If battle.net does not appear in the drop down, click Add Custom Service. The start port and the end port must be set to 6112. Name it whatever you wish and click apply. The netgear tech support page was not very helpful in describing how to forward ports for battle.net but here it is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My router isn't specified in the orange text! What do I do?
If you have another weird router that exists, you should go to their own support site and find out how to configure your router for battle.net. The port you must open is 6112, remember that. This FAQ only covers Netgear, D-link, and Linksys routers, sorry.

I am having problems staying connected or cannot connect to battle.net, will configuring my router fix these problems?
To put it simply, no. Your router should not cause connection issues to battle.net. The only reason you need to configure your router is if you want to host custom games.

I still can't host games!! What is wrong?
If you have two computers running WC3 and they both are hosting games, you will have problems. For this situation you need to specify an Port Range instead of just a single port. You will need to do what the orange text says, and then when it says to enter a port, instead enter 6112-6113 (for 2 computers using WC3). Then once you have done this, you need to go into Warcraft 3 on one(1) of the computers. Then you need to go into Options->Gameplay. In there there should be a port #. Change that port # to 6113 instead of 6112. That should solve problems for people with 2 computers running WC3 at the same time.

If this doesn't solve your problem then you should go to the support links mentioned in the orange text to solve it.

Do I need to configure my router if I am going to use Battlelan to connect by IP?
You need to configure your router for all computers using Battlelan (or the equivilent). If you don't configure the routers on all the computers (host and clients!), then Warcraft 3 will not allow the clients to join the game. Also note that battlelan does NOT work with 56k. Currently the developers are working on a way to fix this.

What IP should I put in when it asks for my IP #?
(under windows)Go to Start->Run. Type in "command" without quotes and press enter. Then, when the command prompt has popped up, type in "ipconfig" without quotes. Use the IP Address listed on the screen to configure your router.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

There is an older thread about this that is somewhat unorganized, if you wish to view this thread because you weren't able to solve your problem here it is.

© Aragorn7 2003

FuZi0N

Member!
Reaction score
i have a skymaster switch, this is a bit different from a router........ can you help me with that??

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Hmm....skymaster switch....switches shouldn't have firewalls in them. Unless yours is special. Could you include some more information?

Also, I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the switch (preferrably by WWW) to figure out how.

FuZi0N

Member!
Reaction score
My switch doesnt have a firewall on it, windows does...... but I have disabled that and i still cant create..........
the connection i have works like this.....
Comp1: Has the connection to the internet [ Cable ] and then connects up to the switch through a network adapter.....
Comp2 [ the one im on ] : Connects to the switch through a network adapter and gets internet from there......

I have tryed fixing it on comp1 but it still doesnt work.....

EDIT: I just found my user manual for my switch here are the features and specs of the switch

> 5/8 port 10/100Mbps TX auto-Negotiation Ethernet Switch

> Compiles with the IEEE802.3 Ethernet and IEE802.3u Fast ethernet standard

> Features Store-and-Forward mode with wire-speed filtering and forwarding rates

> Full/Half Duplex Capability on every TX ports, total bandwith is upto 200Mbps/port

> Auto source address learning and aging

> Supports up to 1K MAC address

> Support upto 1Mbit full packet size buffers with dynamic allocation

> Runt and CRC filtering aliminates arroneous packets to optimize the netwok bandwith

> Support to handle 1522 [5port]/ 1536 [8port] bytes packet

> Internal power supply

>Plug & Play

I have no idea what half the stuff above is, but i hope you can help...

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Here is how you can fix your problem. I believe that if you just put the connection into the switch you might just be able to get the connection without a firewall. I would also go out and buy a router though, they provide very good protection and they allow better connection splitting. Here is how i would do it:

Comp 1: Hooked up to switch
Internet connection: Hooked up to switch
Comp 2: Hooked up to switch

The network you specified isn't very organized. I would do it like it says above, or go out and buy a router.

FuZi0N

Member!
Reaction score
i can do that, but what config would i have to change on the comps??

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
You would have to run the Network Setup Wizard. It is under Start->Program Files->Acessories->Communications->Network Setup Wizard. In there you have to change the settings so it says something like, "I connect to a residential Gateway, all the other computers on my network do also." It might say this is dangerous (because it is) but if you get a router it won't be dangerous. Also, when you set up these settings Windows will automatically set up the Firewall (which you will have to disable).

You can set it up temporarily like this but eventually for safety reasons you will have to get a router. They are only like $30 bucks at the store and you can probably get your mom to pay for one (assuming you are under the age of 18). You could also set up firewalls on each of the computers as an alternative but that would cost more money. Router is best choice here.

Hackstation

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well thx 4 this guide but i got another wierd problem i got an Eumex 704 PC-Lan Router from Telecom :rolleyes:

btw the IP adresse of these is: 192.168.69.254 u can add this in ure guide if u want.

well the ports 4000-6119 are open for all 3 pcs we have

it worked perfect for like a month now but since last weekend im not able to host any games .. i have no idea why i tried all different ports in warcraft 3 (gameplay) i restartet router connected new and so on

im the only comp which is playing war3

it just wont work anymore

perhaps u've got any idea to help me with this

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Hehe, it is copyrighted...however anything is possible.

NeverGoingBack

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
good job aragorn yes u DID copyright it and that is enough to go to there webhost and get the sight shut down if they steal it but im afraid it wouldnt hold up in court though unless you register it. but yea let them try to steal this piece of art there site will go down down down. lol

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by nevergoingback
good job aragorn yes u DID copyright it and that is enough to go to there webhost and get the sight shut down if they steal it but im afraid it wouldnt hold up in court though unless you register it. but yea let them try to steal this piece of art there site will go down down down. lol
You actually don't need to register it anymore...but however courts don't take kindly to those who don't register anyways. They will think that maybe sometime it was edited and that can cause problems with court precedings.

Tokin

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Originally posted by FuZi0N
is Rs going to come here and "borrow" it??

Are you talking about RavenStorm?

I dont think he will "borrow" this considering whenever we help with this type of thing in OTS we do it out of our heads, and to try and post that in a chat will get you kicked of b.net for flooding...

It you mean Resentity-

He better not ever try that shit again. :D :p :cool:

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
He is talking about ResEntity, the guy that ripped off Zaku and Avalons guide for newbies.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
That is beyond this guide....I suggest going to their homesite and searching for topics with "Warcraft 3" or "Battle.net" in them.