The Warp Ray

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score

It began with Tassadar, the Fusion between Protoss and Dark templar cultures. The Warp Ray is a combination of the opposing ideologies to create a powerful airship. Able to increase it's overall damage output with a single continuous attack. Great for powerful units and buildings. Another shining example of Protoss adapting technology.

Discuss the Warp ray and the possibly implications this will have on both the Protoss fleet and their enemies.

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
A few key things that I have noticed.

1. Most of the new Protoss weaponry is in beam form. Which is totally cool.
2. Most of the new Protoss weaponry is "dark" in form. This explains that the greater whole of Aiur was destroyed alone with its culture and thus the Dark Templar now control the skies.
3. The Protoss weaponry is strong, however, its defenses are weak.

How will Blizzard balance this with the other 2 races. My guesses are as good as any.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
it sounds liek a support unit depending on the rate of change of the beams damage

VanillaGorilla

Troubleshooter. Shoot that trouble!
Reaction score
It's probably going to be up to standards with the carrier. Meaning its going to be expensive and take a while to build. Prolly gonna be so slow at moving too. We'll just have to wait and see how it does. Can't wait to see what the Terran and Zerg are going to get.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
*Sigh* Warp Rays replacing the carrier? Looks like I'm gonna be sticking to ground based strats.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score

PauseBreak

Reaction score
The Tempest is just the "dark" version of the carrier! Dark Templar culture for the win!

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Tempest replaces carriers

Read the end of the first paragraph on the Warp Ray page. It a little confusing. I thought that, too, seeing as how the tempest resemble carrs.

Either way, the new toss fleet will take some getting used to.
Not caring for the whole thing about the tempest shield only working against anti air ground.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
woah didnt notice that. thought warp ray replace scout :/
bleh ill still say temp=carr untill i see how large of change in fire power on the beams

thing i need to get use to is the whole rock paper scissor thing they have going on

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
The Warp Ray is almost an equivalent to the Missile Defender in C/C Generals. It too had a Laser Pointer that caused an increase in attack speed as the target was locked on.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
woah didnt notice that. thought warp ray replace scout :/
bleh ill still say temp=carr untill i see how large of change in fire power on the beams

thing i need to get use to is the whole rock paper scissor thing they have going on
That's cool. We'll just have to wait and see.
There's always have a rock paper scissor thing going on.

Examples:

Carr > corsair > scout > carr
BC > valk > wraith > BC

Anyway, looking forward to how things turn out. These guys are just updating one unit at a time. By the time they get to terran, it'll be near Thanksgiving(almost).

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point. It isn't replacing the carrier, IT is replacing the role of the carrier as the "flagship". Carriers still exist, the description is just saying that Warprays are the preferred ship to lead a fleet into battle, where that was a carriers job once.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
The carrier is gone too, I believe, replaced by the tempest.

The only difference between the Tempest and the carrier that I've seen is that the Tempest has a shield against air (or ground, can't recall) units.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
That is to be determined. We know little about the Tempest, except that from what we know it is just a carrier without an air shield. Therefore the reference the Warp Ray gives as replacing the older Carrier as a Protoss flagship is valid.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
BOOM @ BCS

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I stole hold that Terrans are going to get a larger ship than BC, or something to match it's size and strength.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I'm really intrigued by the Warp Ray...a group of these would be devastating against a poorly defended base, or if like 3 of these were sent in with a bunch of lighter support such as Phoenixes, they could do ridiculous damage to the buildings and the tech tree, while the Phoenixes could deal with any defenders. If you micro your groups, having one for the Warp Rays and one for the support group, you could really devastate a base's economy and building tree.