"The rise of the machines"

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
A lot of people think that one day, machines will take over, in a sense similar to that of which is said to happen in the Terminator movies.

I for one do not believe this is possible.

A machine requires man to operate it, fix it, and put it together.

I know, machines are already fixing/putting things together, but what happens if the fixers/builders were to break down?

Machines are prone to stop working at one point in time or another.

Look at any one machine you currently own or operate.

Now tell me hasn't or isn't going to stop working..

Machines/robots are on the uprise, but there are too many factors disallowing a 'takeover'.

What do you think?

Guru

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Personally, I do not think that this will happen, at least not while you and I are around. But about the machines breaking down - isn't that the same as you or I dieing? The theory that machines will one day take over would require them to reproduce themselves quicker than they die.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but the statistics of our reproduction daily are simply amazing..

Speedy

Machine Gun Funk
Reaction score
Eh, i think its 50% percent possible. On the upside machines build other machines everyday. On the other hand, humans can turn off the machines (Yes, i know in terminator the people try to trun them off but it doesn't work, but those people are stupid!)

dust601

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
sure everything breaks down now
but think back to how 30 years ago how much things broke down
and think to know
things are being built more and more efficent.
as for them taking control, that matters on how much control we give them, if we keep improving a.i. then theres always gonna be a chance.

sprucegoose

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
wont b possible unless someone programs them to cuz think about it we tell the machines wat to do so say we wanted a butler robot or something then it had a malfnction it wuldnt go around shooting ppl it wouldnt know wat a gun was itd just maybe spas out and twich or something lol

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by VizjereiMage
A lot of people think that one day, machines will take over, in a sense similar to that of which is said to happen in the Terminator movies.

I for one do not believe this is possible.

A machine requires man to operate it, fix it, and put it together.

I know, machines are already fixing/putting things together, but what happens if the fixers/builders were to break down?

Machines are prone to stop working at one point in time or another.

Look at any one machine you currently own or operate.

Now tell me hasn't or isn't going to stop working..

Machines/robots are on the uprise, but there are too many factors disallowing a 'takeover'.

What do you think?
I say anything can happen, new technologies might be invented, just 120 years ago no one thought that television was possible yet it is, there is always a room for improvement, the invention of thinking, self-operating and self-fixing machine is a possibility. Ofcourse i dont think they will take over, if something like this does happen then they just gonna get nuked. Besides in order for that to happen someone will have to put it in original proggraming.

ORC-r0x0r-ROC

Like my cute wabbit?
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think VizjereiMage is a machine he posts way to much to be human and he is gulling us all into thinking its not possible... Why would machines want to rebel?

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
They might if they are programmed to do so, by some crazy ass human.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
"I AM..A MACHINE!"

Sorry, just you reminded me of that quote from T3 :p..

There is a chance of some retard programming death machines..which sucks..

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Kamikazi robots aren't as likely to succed as human kamikazes, everyone will spot a large peace of metal in the crowd and run away, but if its human then no one will notice a thing, human kamikazes are a common thing in Russia, those Chechen bastards blow up buildings and kill people right in the heart of Russia, it is better now but you still hear a kamikaze attack or 2 casualy. I say we just nuke those Chechens and be done with it. It is our land all we need from it is oil, so we dont care if it is a nuclear desert or not as long as the oil pipe that runs through Chechnya is untouched

JeFfDiddy78

Member!
Reaction score
Website
hometown.aol.com
ever see the animatrix part 1 and part 2 of the second renaissance..its possible it could start that way if any of you havnt seen it see it it sets the martix up good and is freaky how we all F up

amrtin77

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
IF we ever come up with a true AI, then it is VERY possible. if something can think for itself without programming it can easily decide to rebel. if we never come up with AI, it can not happen, unless someone programs machines to kill EVERYTHING.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
It probably will happen, but not anytime soon. A robot that can move around a home and do chores when needed and listen to commands that people give it is not going to happen any time soon.

Complicated AI is not impossible, but giving a computer logic is rather, well, how do we interpret it into code? We have yet to discover everything about our own minds and bodies as we're finding new stuff every day.

I'd like to see the code for the first robot that can do household chores too. ;)

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by VizjereiMage
Yes, but the statistics of our reproduction daily are simply amazing..
Yep. gotta agree with that, so much has changed in Korea, ever since i left in 1999. For exmaple, around where i lived in 1999, there was only like 4 plazas, apartments, some stores, and school.
But now, there is: 2 64 floor buildings, like 10 internet cafe, ps2 cafe (o_O), more plazas, more apartments, renewed apartments, etc... Jus shows you how fast communities/cities grow in 5 years...

Anyways, in my opinion, i dun think we will ever acheive our goal of AI. First of all, AI would be like programming a human from scientists, and program a human?!?!?!?!? come on, huamns' minds and intelligence are from and is life forms, not some kind of computer languages! Also, it will be impossible to put in emotions into computers.. there are a lot of things for us to understand before doing that.
Well, i think we'll put in comp chips into dead brain, activate it and make it work like human computer, jus like SC.
However, if there will be any votes for AI, you can definitlely count me out. I wouldnt want to talk to my comp when i grow up, rather i would talk to my bro, friends, wife (if i get married) or my family :D

dust601

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
you cannot program a comp to feel like a human but you can program it to choose between a list of varibles of what it feels is fit for a certain situation.
one day true ai will be possible
they learn 1000s of new things about the brain everyday, and whether people wunna bealive it or not, your think/feel/bealive/act from how the chemicles in your body and the way your built makes you react, not from some inner soul, not from some "heart' but from the way you were built to act

ORC-r0x0r-ROC

Like my cute wabbit?
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I doubt we can programs to "feel" or there will ever be 'true' AI. They would need to put chips in a human brain somehow because you'll need them chemicals to create emotions ect. I know these days they have built robots to detect heat when they step on a flame ect and they will move back.. but they wont think "ow!!". For a machine to have true 'AI' is not ofr it to have every single senarior ever programmed into it, it must be able to learn without further intervention of programming