The "Picture Only" Ebay scam

Gaussian

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I was wondering if this scam was used with an item of a very high price, like over $10,000 do you think that would be illegal?

Picture Only Scam:

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but is it worth a thousand dollars?

This scam is fairly easy to explain and though it may sound like it's too stupid to work, it unfortunately still catches the random ebay victim off guard.

Basically the scam takes place as follows:

The scammer takes a beautiful picture of an often expensive item, such as a computer, TV, DVD, etc.
The scammer then compiles a list of all the wonderful features the item comes equipped with,
arranging them into a rather deceptive item desciption.
The scammer then puts their beautiful picture along with the description of the item on a nicely layed
out auction listing.
The scammer then slips in a statement like "you are bidding on the picture only, not the actual item!"
somewhere in the auction listing (usually in a very small, hard to notice font).
The interested buyer doesn't see the "picture only" statement, thinks he's bidding on the actual
product (computer, TV, DVD, etc.), then places a bid, and pays for the auction.
A little while later he receives the picture in the mail instead of any actual product.

One such example of how this scam could be organized, is illustrated below.

This awesome computer has been equipped with the following
specs:

Inventory Sku = 57625C
Catalog Id = 02/11/2003- 0020026129
Manfacturer = GATEWAY
Model Name = PRO 933M
HD = 20.0GB
RAM = 128MB
CDROM Type = CD ROM
Processor Type = PENTIUM III
Processor Speed = 933 MHZ
Screen Size = 17"
Screen Type = NEC Multisync 75
NIC = 10/100MBPS ETH
COMPUTER TYPE = MIDTOWER
MODEL NUMBER = PRO 933M
FLOPPY = 1.44 FLOPPY
PORT = RJ-45
PORT = PARALLEL
PORT = 1 SERIAL

PORT = 4 USB
AUDIO = YES
OPERATING SYSTEM = Window's XP
SERIAL NUMBER = 0021568677
MANUFACTURER PART NUMBER = CND
AUDIT RESULTS = P
AUDIT DESCRIPTION = G
CDROM SPEED = 48.00
VIDEO = 16.00
NUMBER OF PROCESSORS = 1.00
SHARED VIDEO RAM = NO
CD ROM INTERFACE = IDE
HARD DRIVE INTERFACE = IDE
# OF VIDEO CARDS = 2.00
SPEAKERS = NO
MONITOR PORT CONNECTION TYPE = PC 15 PIN
P.S. VOLTAGE = 110 and 220V

[size=0.5]Note: you are bidding on the picture of the item only[/size]

Take advantage of this great offer and bid now!

Notice how small and obscure the words "you are bidding on the picture of the item only" are?

You can now understand how some rushed bidders may miss this little note, and mistake the listing for an actual valuable item.

The only way you can avoid becoming a victim of this scam is through common sense.
Always make sure to read every important detail about the item (especially the small print) before bidding.

You wouldn't run into a store as fast as you can, grab an item without knowing exactly what it is, and then pay for it without any careful examination would you?
Then why would you rush into an auction listing and bid before you've read the whole description?

Bag

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.xanga.com
You would have to be an idiot to buy something expensive and not examine every detail like that closly. I'm assuming that would be quite illegal to do too.

Hitsua

+
Reaction score
How? You see what you get. Just because you are to arogant and naive to read through the whole thing is your problem.

Gaussian

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I was thinking of making someone homeless and doing it on a house on ebay or something. Or better yet, just to piss off those rich people who don't care for the homeless, I'll probably do it on really expensive rolex watch, Lol...

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
the font is red which stands out. make it the same color, cus if its red, then i will read it. just to tell ya

is it in anyway illegal. can sumone look this up or sumthin? cus if its not, it wouldnt hurt anything to put a nice pic on eBay...

ShaftedTwice

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Haha.. I think that eBay would get mad and probably sue you..

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
not if u run to mexico first

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
It's in no way illegal. I don't know what you ****tards are thinking claiming it's illegal. It clearly says (Albeit in small fine print) that you are bidding on the picture only. If you bid on it and pay 3grand, thats your own fault

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Who is going to be dumb enough to falll for that? Serouisly. 10,000 bucks a lot of money I would read every word in detail.

cxoli

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
cxoli.net
Yeah, it'd be dumb not to read everything if you're spending that much money. But I'd have to agree that it's perfectly legal, and if you're not smart enough to read the fine print then it's your own fault :p

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Originally posted by Hitsua
That isn't even a good computer.
Ya, in fact it isn't even up to standard. 20 gigabytes space!!! Wtf!! I could fill that up in like 1 week.

Gaussian

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by xjMaN88lx
if u r one of the people that fell for that i feel bad for u
Yeah right, I was just wondering if it was illegal or not before I start using it. I got LOTS of other scams up my sleeves, too. If you want, PM me and I'll send them to you.

And the computer was just an example you joobs...

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
lol, joobs.

its always worth a try cus sum ppl are dumb enough to spend money irrationaly