So..farming?

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
On my shaman I never really if ever farmed. Most of my money came from questing, vendor trash, and world drops. Granted I wasn't ever rich, nor did I have an epic mount by level 63, but I got by just fine. (Do note that I could have had an epic mount if I didn't spend a shit ton of gold respeccing like 3 times a week, etc.)

Anyways..

I'm currently level 30 on my warlock with 41 gold. I think that's fairly decent for being only level 30, having only one gathering profession, and using said profession for engineering when the time calls. My gold intake will only increase as I level with more options to earn it opening up. However, I'm tired of being that guy that "gets by" with a couple hundred gold. Not to mention when if ever I start raiding I'm sure a lot of gold will be spent on shit there too.

That being said..I'm wondering about farming. When is the best time to start? Should I start already at level 30? If so where and what? If not, then when I get to the level I need to farm, where do I start and what do I farm? I know general things to farm like cloth, and motes(though not sure where for most motes), but yeah..

So any help would rock. ^^;

Note: I got the urge to want a lot of money (lol not before this wtf?) after hearing about how kit, sean, shelli, ryan, etc. have and/or have had well into the thousands of gold. That's just insane. I do know it probably took time, though.

One last thing I want to know is what's the best way to save money? Should I make an alt and send my money to it so I don't get the urge to spend it on every little thing? I don't know..but to me..someone so fickle and ADHD that he respecs like 3 times in one week when each respec is 20g-30g..needs to find a way to keep from spending the money while still saving it up..heh.

Kao

Drives an Evo IX ;)
Reaction score
What you should do, in my experience, is get a gathering profession, such as Mining or Herbalism, and just go crazy getting everything you can. Put it all on the AH for just a hair under the market, and send the gold you make to a bank alt. You could do all your business under a no-name level one alt, like I do.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Don't start farming until you get your warlock to 70. You'll slowly gain money by leveling up with quests and quest rewards, but there's no point to taking the time now to farm. Best time and place, is Outland.

Just stop being a loser and not respec. You can send your money to an alt, or hell, even another player if you really don't want to spend your money.

Oh, one last thing; it's spelt 'Sheli'.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I won't say don't listen to renzo cause he's obviously way better at this game than I am, but my hunter has mining, and it's definitely worth the little bit of extra time to farm ore as you go along. If you want to be casual about it, just track minerals/herbs as you go. But on my hunter, if I'm bored or actually need gold I'll go to un'goro or lethlor and farm minerals for awhile. Again, i's definitely worth the time considering how quickly you can gather minerals versus how easily mithril/thorium/truesilver ore sells in the AH.

I don't really understand what your deal is with spending gold though. Granted hunters are pretty easy PvE but beyond skills, my lvl 40 mount, and 1x respec I've only ever spent gold on stacks of cloth to grind first aid. I haven't bought equipment (besides bullets and food obviously). I haven't run any instances. I just use world drops/quest items, and I'm doing fine.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Well i just spent 60g on a new shield and main-hand weapon (On my shaman alt). I got so frustrated of having a shitty armor rating and terrible white dps. But i really needed the upgrade.

CB is right though, taking the extra time to farm some ore/herbs will help you level your professions or help you make some little extra money on the side. I usually don't do this because i'm lazy and i hate going to spawn points for veins and finding they aren't there :(

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I've gotta recommend skinning though. I wish I'd realized how much of a scam skinning is when I rolled my hunter. You're going to be killing beasts pretty much the whole game, so you may as well be getting stacks of leather while you're doing it. My plan on my alt is to level up skinning as I go, if I really need extra gold, perhaps grind a level on lvl 30+ beasts. And if I don't really need extra gold, I'll still be making it (just not as much) without even going out of my way to gather anything. Then when I have enough gold I can just respec my professions, and buy all the mats I need to grind a new profession.
I got so frustrated of having a shitty armor rating and terrible white dps. But i really needed the upgrade.
Man, me too. I did end up respeccing and the best elemental weapon I had was a staff. I've changed main weapons like three times now and I'm getting sick of trying to lvl up new ones. For a long time I was doing about 2 melee dps and most of it was coming from my windfury procs.
I just discovered how awesome wowwiki is though, so I've been looking through their instance guide to find a new weapon/shield.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yes, skinning gives a lot of money. However, what may be the best profession nowadays is alchemy. You'll be needing it, and you'll be able to see pots pretty much to everyone. Plus Primal Might is worth 150g over here I believe. But only at 70.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, I already lvled tailoring to 90ish I think, but I'm actually planning on dropping it to take up herbalism so I can save herbs and grind alchemy later.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Play the AH game. It's incredibly inflated right now, which is fun. Go after recipes, imbued netherweave cloth, adam. ore/bar, arcane dust, and primals.

Hell, on my server there was 30 or so primal fires that were all 18g a piece, and a few that were around 20g, so i bought every single one of them, and sold every single one of them bcak for 28g. Cha-ching extra 400or so g for 4 minutes work.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Ya I have mining, and I'm already starting to debate dropping engineering for skinning or something else. Engineering is awesome, but it takes forever for it to shine, so meh..

I guess I'll just sell ore til I get to 70 then farm ore and other random shit. It's a little easier for me to not respec with warlock since affliction is like god up through 70.

Phey

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Note: I got the urge to want a lot of money (lol not before this wtf?) after hearing about how kit, sean, shelli, ryan, etc. have and/or have had well into the thousands of gold. That's just insane. I do know it probably took time, though.
Sheli you jackass,
lololol

I've made most of my money from my Mage, i made her pretty much just to be the ultimate 'farm-bot'. =P ( Prot Warrior FTL )

Her Professions are Mining / Herb, The herbs in Outlands can sell for as much as 40g, I usually just run around with Herb tracking on while questing, I can usually spot any Veins nearby without having to have use tracking.

Phey's professions are Alchemy / Blacksmithing... so i'm all set with Squesh-face bringing in the Herbs/Ore when i need it, and can make gold from the potions as well when i don't need to use them myself.. it saves me alot of money on consumables for raids.. Fawk Blacksmithing.

While leveling her up i've found a few spots that have been awesome for farming, killing mobs getting the loot.. THEN being able to use Mining or Herbalism on the mob after its dead FTW. =D Doesn't always drop herbs, but i was getting pretty lucky. :dance

Anyways, i'm agreeing with Kitty-bear, Questing is probably one of the best ways for gold. :loopy

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Phey, you should have picked herbalism and skinning. Seriously, it's imbah.

Engineering is awesome, but it takes forever for it to shine, so meh.
Yeah, like 2010 :(

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Zerst has 20 gold

I kid you not

TWENTY ****ING GOLD, and I have to repair two sets of gear and buy more candles

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Yeah Ryan, i have two sets of gear and they're both plate. Grats at least 20g repair bills.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Because playing on your level 70 is so last week.