SHOULD....I....GET....A...PSP.

munchyman

Eat your vegetables!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well should I??/
i had the chance to play one in physics, due to the fact that nobody except the TA felt liek doing any work, and i have to say its pretty sweet, with the wi-fi connectability, and that droolingly sexy screen..

my only complaint would be that needle-dick excuse for a joystick though. at first glance i thought it was a speaker....but nope.

honestly, couldnt they have done better?/

anyhow, yeah...the thing was pretty cool and i think i should get one.....any warnings??? or support for the psp from you guys?

kirby2

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have heard some bad things about the psp, mainly the squared button is hard to use, and approx. 30% of new psp's screens comes with dead pixels forcing sony to do a recall in Japan. I also haven't really heard anything good about the psp. But I dunno I haven't really looked at them in depth.

Pains Requiem

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have one, and i love it. The graphics are killer. My current game is basically Diablo in many ways. You can choose btween 4 characters and level up- its a great hack-n-slash game. Pretty fun, but it does get old after a while.

When i buy more memory cards for it, im gonna put music videos, music, dvds, other games, whatever. Just like with the XBOX, how you can get a Mod Chip and allow your XBOX to play PS1-2 games, the memory cards for the PSP allow for a lot of the same, except for playing gams from other systems, because with only 32-142 MB, your not gonna be able to fit any games.
Music, or just regular songs, can be anywhere from 3-4MB, so you ca fit a decent amount if you get the 142MB size. Maybe a music video or 2. Maybe a few shows, like cartoon shows or something you can DL from the Net and put it on the Card.

The PSP has a lot of pros. BUT its not very durable. I dropped it ONCE in class, but when im not playing it, its always in its carrying case. Thank God for that carrying case..

Anyways, its a nice peice of soemthing to show off with :D

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
System is big, heavy and expensive. Try watching a movie in your hands with it, your hands will burn. Movie quality isn't very good plus with the battery life, you pretty much can only watch one movie before you have to spend 6 hours charging it. the speaker in the PSP does shit sound qaulity, and you need headphones to get the best quality sound out of it. The battery life is shit and it is expensive. You drop it, prepare to play with a cracked screen or buy a new one.

Games are shit so far. Best part of games is graphics, but if you are buying a handheld for graphics only, you should kill yourself. The games arn't really fun, the joystick is complete shit, and the square button doesn't work all the time. There is also a chance for dead pixels, and sony's customer support is shit, and half the time unless you have 8 or more dead pixels, sony's response is "live with the dead pixels."

Memory cards while could be interesting idea were shit for the PSP. first off thier the duo kind, meaning they are less universal and more expensive. a 1 gig disk could easily be the price of another PSP. Plus a 1 gig disk is the only way your fitting a movie on a memory card. the UMD they use is shit too, long load tiems between everything. prepare to spend alot of time looking elswhere because the only thing on the screen will be "loading".

Movie selection is also shit. if you buy it to watch movies, your shit out of luck. Only Companies licensed with Sony will have movies for it, meaning you only have a small selection. pfft pure shit if you ask me.

my advice, don't buy one. Especialy since the defects. it takes sony a few years to sort out the crap they call a "good quality system" plus it is not even close to being worth the price.

Magikarp

Reaction score
Pan said:
System is big, heavy and expensive. Try watching a movie in your hands with it, your hands will burn. Movie quality isn't very good plus with the battery life, you pretty much can only watch one movie before you have to spend 6 hours charging it. the speaker in the PSP does shit sound qaulity, and you need headphones to get the best quality sound out of it. The battery life is shit and it is expensive. You drop it, prepare to play with a cracked screen or buy a new one.

Games are shit so far. Best part of games is graphics, but if you are buying a handheld for graphics only, you should kill yourself. The games arn't really fun, the joystick is complete shit, and the square button doesn't work all the time. There is also a chance for dead pixels, and sony's customer support is shit, and half the time unless you have 8 or more dead pixels, sony's response is "live with the dead pixels."

Memory cards while could be interesting idea were shit for the PSP. first off thier the duo kind, meaning they are less universal and more expensive. a 1 gig disk could easily be the price of another PSP. Plus a 1 gig disk is the only way your fitting a movie on a memory card. the UMD they use is shit too, long load tiems between everything. prepare to spend alot of time looking elswhere because the only thing on the screen will be "loading".

Movie selection is also shit. if you buy it to watch movies, your shit out of luck. Only Companies licensed with Sony will have movies for it, meaning you only have a small selection. pfft pure shit if you ask me.

my advice, don't buy one. Especialy since the defects. it takes sony a few years to sort out the crap they call a "good quality system" plus it is not even close to being worth the price.
Wow. That's a real piece of shit. In that case, do you recommend the Nintendo DS over the PSP?

I thought about buying the PSP just to watch Advent Children (I know, I'm a sucker), but it's also going to come out on DVD, slashing out any reason I might have wanted the PSP in the first place.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Pan, you dont have to hold the damn thing to watch a movie, and with any kind of handheld, headphones are required for best overall quality. My PSP came with headphones.

I only have 1 problem pixel-
illsee it in a movie, but my eyes dart around the screen during a game so much, i dont even notice it.

As the game has barely been out for over a month, thee arent enough games out to say the games are shit.

The duo stix were an awesome feature-
instead of filling up your system with meory, put it into a stick. Also the stick allows for a lot of modding of your PSP, just like a lot of people do with their XBOX.

Magikarp

Reaction score
What the heck is a problem pixel anyway?

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
The correct term is a 'dead pixel', and it's a single pixel which is always the same color, like white, black, or red. It's very distracting (to me at least), and although it's an unavoidable problem on LCD screens, it shouldn't be as common as it is on the PSP right now. I'll probably get the PSP once they've lowered the dead pixel frequency for their screens, assuming they ever do.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Pains Requiem said:
Pan, you dont have to hold the damn thing to watch a movie, and with any kind of handheld, headphones are required for best overall quality. My PSP came with headphones.
two points. first is while headphones might be required for a handheld in your oppinion, it shouldn't be a requirement for everybody. The sound quality on a DVD player or the DS without headphones by itself is terrific, while the PSP is mediocre. the fact you get best sound by using headphones puts the overal value of the systems sound capabilities down.
second, the headphones it comes with are crap, but that is to be expected. I threw out those headphones.

As the game has barely been out for over a month, thee arent enough games out to say the games are shit.
but launch games sucked, which is my point.

The duo stix were an awesome feature-
instead of filling up your system with meory, put it into a stick. Also the stick allows for a lot of modding of your PSP, just like a lot of people do with their XBOX.
I already mentioned why the memory stick duo sucks. Filling up your sysem with memory? Mods for your psp? Any system can be modded regardless if they have an impracticle storage system or not. If I remeber correct they arelady got linux running of the nintendo ds.

Zerglite

Reaction score
if i had the opportunity to, i'd get one

no questions asked it WOULD BE MINE!

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Pan, i never said the headphones were required. The pack i got mine in came with them. Yes, launch games most of the time do suck.

Damn, this is one of the few times i cant argue back with pan because i actually agree with him.

Induhvidual_1

Reaction score
if we were to compare the launch games of DS with the PSP,

PSP>DS

so far, the only good one for DS is like that mario game

while the PSP, with subpar games as well has an "average" i would say better reviews than the "average" DS titles.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I really wouldn't. I would rather buy as many games as possible for my main console or PC.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Handhelds are overrated, just to let you know. With the exception of going on vacation without bringing your console, theres no real reason. MOST of the games have ports that are basically like it on consoles.

Personally, I'll stick with the GBA for my handhelds. TY

Brandon

Member!
Reaction score
I would buy it, shit a portiable dvd player.. WITH A SCREEN!

Patrick_A

Boss D.J.
Reaction score
I'd probably buy once once the price goes down a little bit. The sound is not bad considering those tiny speakers, I think the screen is big (for a handheld), and clear. You can buy a kit or somthing that holds the PSP upright, and has extra speakers for watching movies.

[Koolaid]

Reaction score
jd`inflames said:
I would buy it, shit a portiable dvd player.. WITH A SCREEN!
lol, if ure just gonna but it for th frkn dvd player no man, u can get a portable player for less price and a bigger screen

my friend has one, we watched johnny english, lol

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Also remember the PSP uses the UMD format. Meaning not only will you not be able to get every movie you want, you cannot play DVDs and the UMS is stripped down to fit the small size. Therefore PSP really only have the movie no extra/specil features etc.