Same 6-8 units in every melee game

Ghetto_Rap_Masta

Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol in almost every ladder and melee game i play i notice people always use the same 2-3 essential units for the race they took.

The funny thing is that units like high templars, reavers, ultralisks, defilers, queens, goliaths and other usually unused units can actually make or break a game.

An example of this is when i was in a melee game as toss, with a full fleet of carriers/arbiters and a massive base with plenty of D. another toss player used a reaver/transport combo, flew into my base and wiped me out in seconds while my carriers struggled to kill a few reavers. It seems the normal strategy these days in SC is to mass one kind of unit and hope the player doesnt use counter-units.

Anyone else notice this?

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
That is very true, and unfortunetly, I have that bad habit to an extent.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
wtf are you talking about? High templars not being used? Gols not? Hell deifliers or reavers? Wtf...

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
1) i dodnt know u played sc
2) HT are pretty used a lot

MacMan

Reaction score
Money maps dont have diversity.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Ghetto, play some non-money maps. Then you actually can't get a huge fleet of Carriers/Arbiters unless you control 90% of the map.

I am a Protoss player and i try to utilise every unit where i can. I rarely use Reavers because they cost alot, they are fat, they are slow and they are only effective when used with a Shuttle, so if i am ever going to use them, is when i Reaver-Drop.
I use HT's all the time, not so much against Terran, and hardly against Protoss, but i use them quite alot against the Zerg.
I'm beginning to use Dark Archon's against Zerg, with their maelstrom ability, and used with HT's, you can stop a Zerg army in its tracks.
I the last time i used a Carrier was about 6 months ago when i was vsing a Terran player, the game went for yonks, so i bought four Carriers. They are extremely effective when microed well, even against Goliaths.
Other than that, i use every other unit almost every game. You need to when you are Protoss.

But there is one thing that i find, that an awesome unit like the Dark Templar is hardly used. I even see people like LG)ZelotITO in a PvT against Androide, and he hardly used the DT's.
I love DT's, and they win games for me sometimes. Even in PvZ's.

aphextwin

Reaction score
i would be lauging if you were actually fast teching to carriers.................

Biske

Reaction score
Fast teching to Carriers....now that's a canundrum, or is it a paradox...anyway, it's an oxymoron! That's it!

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
It is possible to fast-tech to Carriers. You'll just die in the process of doing so... ^_^

Ghetto_Rap_Masta

Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah it is true most of the time i play money maps, maybe i should try non-money maps for a change :p

While i'm very very good with money maps, everytime i play strategy melee i get hammered down pretty quickly, i guess i got a little bit of practice to do.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
You can play strategy melee in a money map. All you need to do is scout early, and figure out what they are teching to, usually you'd have a pretty good idea just by seeing their race.

If you figure out what he/she is massing, then it's just the simple matter of countering it. Do you know many counters?

Ghetto_Rap_Masta

Premium Member
Reaction score
not really, most of the time i play a race i do like everyone else and mass either mutas, bcs or carriers. I havn't really experimented with counter-units or tech units with skills (hT, queens, defilers, dark archons, ect.)

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Originally posted by newbie4lyfe
i would be lauging if you were actually fast teching to carriers.................
AxL did that once and I owned him remember :eek:.

aphextwin

Reaction score
that was ffa therefore its an advantage for him... if it was 1v1 he'd die

DigitalElite

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
fishdynastyproducts.deviantART.com
Originally posted by Sword Tip
AxL did that once and I owned him remember :eek:.
i remember, you used parasite expertly!

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ghetto_Rap_Masta
not really, most of the time i play a race i do like everyone else and mass either mutas, bcs or carriers. I havn't really experimented with counter-units or tech units with skills (hT, queens, defilers, dark archons, ect.)
Well, that's fine. I guess that is really the only way to play it. Massing Muta's and hitting their Nexus/Hive/CC will de-moralise them and in some cases, make them leave.
In defense, if you are Protoss, make Corsairs and High Templars to guard your Nexus (And some Cannons, obviously), because when Muta's or other fast air come and attack it, just storm them because they'll be in a bunch, and they'll all die :)

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well, there is usually a basic army backbone of zealot/goon or hydra, or tanks/vults or something. but i use high templars alot, and reavers as much as i can afford. they do massive damage to alot of units at a time.. and as renzo said, theyre great for dropping. same with high templars. its silly watching a templar storm a bunch of miners. :D and templars really can fight anything grouped... great against grouped up capital ships, big ground armies, burrowed lurkers when u have no detection, ect.

id say scouts are underused because of their cost too.... but scouts really can actually help your corsairs fight if theyre up against big ships or devourers.

thegrim_reaper

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
i disagree there is no strategy on money maps, you just mass and mass and mass till your oponet crumbles... its sad really, oh and dj if you dont play any/many non money maps and you go into reg. maps it will shock your system and non of your strats work.. i remember when i made the jump.
it was hard, very very hard

Ashigaru

Premium Member
Reaction score
I found that money maps are great for working on your micro, with the large number of units you have to pay attention to and all.

There no strat on a money map if your a newb maybe... If you just mass 1 or 2 units you usually lose.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Non-money maps work on your micro more, because your units are more valuable then and to lose one of them (Especially early game) could cost you the match. But in money maps, you have the resources to spend to pump out another 12 of that unit in less than a minute.