Quick Immortal question

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Trying to figure out how the shields work. Is there a way to manually activate the shields before they're fired upon or do they only activate after?

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
The shields activate whenever a heavy attack hits the immortal. IT is automatic, like any other protoss shield. So far the only attaack I know that actualy activates it is the siege tank, but it could quite possibly activated by something like a BC etc.

L

Laharl

It's kinda silly to have shields that only work against certain unit types. Why would they do that?

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
i geuss it was time for them to have different shielding. its not really a bad idea to have a tank

L

Laharl

It IS a bad idea on the part of the protoss to leave their personal with overt weaknesses which can be fixed.

God I hate this combat style...

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
To Mike:

Perhaps I should've phrased it better. Let's say I wanna walk up to some reavers(or tanks). Will I be able to activate their shields before walking into firing range? Its kinda dumb they only work after getting hit. I'm a little worried my opponents willl manually target one of my immortals killing it before then(i.e. before the shields activate), you see. I'm judging this from the screenshot on the immortal page. The one of the far right.

To Magival Trevor: I agree. Though, I don't mind the immortal having this setback against terran infantry because toss has ways of dealing with them, too.

L

Laharl

But, you see, you have to realize that this is all meta-game thinking. Why, exactly, would the protoss allow any "unit" to have vulnerabilities that can be patched up as easily as by NOT SWITCHING THE SHIELDS?

B)ushid(o

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Immortal's shield passively activates for any heavy attack that is fired upon it. It'll activate for any heavy attack fired upon it. Based upon one of the demo videos they had, anyhow.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
To Mike:

Perhaps I should've phrased it better. Let's say I wanna walk up to some reavers(or tanks). Will I be able to activate their shields before walking into firing range? Its kinda dumb they only work after getting hit. I'm a little worried my opponents willl manually target one of my immortals killing it before then(i.e. before the shields activate), you see. I'm judging this from the screenshot on the immortal page. The one of the far right.

It is the same idea as any protoss unit. There is no point where the player actively switches on or off any shield. The Immortal is desinged with reason that the only shield it has is one that can take the brunt of massive attacks ie. tanks and reavers. Just like a zealot has a shield which is fairly durable for most attacks, and Immortal has a shield that is durable for heavy attacks, allowing the toss to deal with Tanks directly instead of having to let smaller untis with normal shields get pummeled.

If you have heard about the Tempest, it's the same idea. Tempest has a shield that only activates when a ground unit attacks it, just the same as when a tank or reaver fires on the Immortal.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
That's just it. I don't think the immortal's shields work the same way as any other protoss shield.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Lol. It's not hard to think of. You know how normal Protoss shields pop up and take off damage until they're drained? That's "activating when fired upon or hit." That's all the Immortal's shield does, except it only comes into play when the incoming fire is a heavy attack like that of a Siege Tank. It's not "get hit and then it triggers," it's "it triggers when an incoming hit meets activation criteria."

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
But, you see, you have to realize that this is all meta-game thinking. Why, exactly, would the protoss allow any "unit" to have vulnerabilities that can be patched up as easily as by NOT SWITCHING THE SHIELDS?
You do realize that this is a game? Lol.

L

Laharl

Renzo, that's meta-game thinking. There has to be reasons behind things or the game becomes a total farce.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Renzo, that's meta-game thinking. There has to be reasons behind things or the game becomes a total farce.
because having shields that can take the blast from the tank means protoss doesn't make sense in a "meta-game" way, or whatever the hell you're talking about.

L

Laharl

Meta-game thinking is where you treat a character's rationalization, or the like as if it's a part of a game.

In all well made games everything is explained, or rationalized, through 'flavour'.

I told you. You're not the same caliber of gamer as I am.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Meta-game thinking is where you treat a character's rationalization, or the like as if it's a part of a game.

In all well made games everything is explained, or rationalized, through 'flavour'.

I told you. You're not the same caliber of gamer as I am.
yeah, when i make arguments for good games, I don't present nonsense arguments.

L

Laharl

Quality games by companies that know what they are doing always have flavour-based reasons behind everything. It's a fact.

Why do ghosts use c-10 canister rifles? ;)

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Who the hell cares what a ghost uses. You still haven't said why an immortal doesn't make sense for a protoss to build. Keep talking about flavors.

L

Laharl

It doesn't make any sense because immortals are supposedly these rare, dying out things.

And their protection is so... FLAWED.

That would be like giving a ghost a gauss rifle! It makes no sense for either race to do this. *Taps your head* Think carefully, with your brains.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense because immortals are supposedly these rare, dying out things.

And their protection is so... FLAWED.

That would be like giving a ghost a gauss rifle! It makes no sense for either race to do this. *Taps your head* Think carefully, with your brains.
you make no sense, and stop trying to act condescending to me.

The Immortals replace Dragoons. They are dieing off because there are so few, yet you complain that they have a shield capable of withstanding the blast of a Tank and a Reaver etc. You make no sense. "giving a ghost a guass rifle". Immortals are used to take out well defended positions and are to be supported. There is no flaw in their design. You just rolled around in the beach and got sand in your vagina and have something against SCII.

Ghosts could easily use a gauss rifle. Look at Nova, all array of Terran weapons. The reason they don't is to balance out the game and make sure one unit isn't to similar to another. Any back story to charactersare secondary to balance and making a game fun.