Quick Immortal question

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
BFH, if you're just posting here for sake of arguments/yourpost count/your way of keeping the forum alive, Please do it in a proper manner and actually back up things up in logical sense...

And well, I dont get whats so hard to understand about their shields. It basically works against heavily armed units such as tanks and reavers (possibly ultralisks?). This way, players could think of strategic advancements in their attacks, because you can have immortals advance before zealots to take advantage of their special shields, while zealots go and kill off the tanks basically.

Just.. think of it as a passive skill. Like in War3, Mountain Giants have passive skills that allows them to reduce incoming damage by 13 (or soemthign like that), think of it as that, except it's incoming "heavy-type" damage.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
BFH is just on the rag because he considers himself a "higher-level gamer." I've never met anyone so damn biased in my life.

No, the canon/reasoning does not have to be flawless in order for a game to be fun/balanced. What was the story behind Tetris? Why were there blocks falling from the sky? Why were they in those weird shapes and bright colors? Wtf is a Pacman? We got Pong, but where's the Ping? If you fret about everything being 100% explained, you're never going to enjoy anything...which is apparently how you live your life anyways.

By your argument, the original starcraft is crap, even though it's endured for 10 years almost, and is Korea's national sport.

--Why do all the workers harvest exactly 8 minerals each time?
--How are simple raw minerals and vespene gas worked into both metalworking for Terran buildings/units, warp energy for Protoss buildings/units, and raw flesh for Zerg buildings/units?
--How exactly does the Vulture hoversystem work?
--What sort of power supply does a Goliath have?
--Where the hell does the Vulture store those big Spider mines?
--Why don't Terran Infantry run out of Stimpacks?
--How do Medics magically restore health or sight?
--Why can't any ship transport units? Technically they could, so why isn't that implemented?
--Why don't Hydralisks run out of spines?
--Why don't Hydralisks use their scythe claws for combat?
--Why don't Plague spores get blocked by Protoss Shields?
--Why can't Guardians fly higher and attack air units on a lower level than them?
--Why can't Valkyries fire their missiles at the ground?
--Why can't ANY unit who has a separate Air/Ground attack use them interchangeably? Missiles can be fired at stuff on the ground, and lasers/guns can be fired at stuff in the air. Why doesn't it work that way?
--How do Probes set up warp beacons?
--How do Nydus Canals move across completely open space in Space maps?
--When cloaked units attack, you can see their movements. Why can't you zero in on them and attack them?
--Why can't you fire on open ground, like have a row of Siege Tanks bombard a particular area with shells to prevent enemy troop movement?

I could go on, but you get how ridiculous this is. Relax. If there's a technological reason why Immortal shields don't work against small-arms fire, then cool. If not, who gives a shit? It's a game element intended to spice up gameplay and create a system of checks and balances. Too much analysis destroys the point of the game, which is to have fun.

You take yourself way too seriously, and need to stop worrying over trivial shit that doesn't matter in the scheme of things. Just be happy that units have background stories at all, and play with them.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
If a protoss shield is flawed because attacks can get through it, the game sucks, because it isn't realistic. Ok So now the protoss build a shield nothing can get through, the game is more realistic, but it sucks because NO ****ING ATTACKS GET THROUGH AND PROTOSS INSTANT WIN.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Immortals are gonna kick ass either way. Killing siege tanks was such a pain in SC:BW.
word... 4 zlots in shuttles to make things less painful *sighs*

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
It was worse than that, because a smart Terran player would either build turrets near his creeping tanks or just back them up with Goliaths.

I'd have to result in zerging them with speedlots and throw a psionic storm or something. Now that i think about it, disruptive web + reavers would be win.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Lol. It's not hard to think of. You know how normal Protoss shields pop up and take off damage until they're drained? That's "activating when fired upon or hit." That's all the Immortal's shield does, except it only comes into play when the incoming fire is a heavy attack like that of a Siege Tank. It's not "get hit and then it triggers," it's "it triggers when an incoming hit meets activation criteria."

Back on topic:

So what you're saying is that tanks can still drain their shields then inflict actual damage?(Maybe that's not what you said, but whatever) That's bascially how the tempests' shields work for anti-air ground units.(structures)

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Since no one's replying, I'm gonna dble post.

Ok, according to Blizzforums, the hardened will be upgradeable, so until you do(upgarde them), immortals still have their normal shields that take full damage from everything.

So when they're upgraded, rines won't activate their hardened shields and damage the immortals shield points regularly, but tanks do minimal damage to immortals due to the hardened shield.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
It was worse than that, because a smart Terran player would either build turrets near his creeping tanks or just back them up with Goliaths.

I'd have to result in zerging them with speedlots and throw a psionic storm or something. Now that i think about it, disruptive web + reavers would be win.
Yeah you're very true, I had several shuttles coming from behind, that way I kinda sandwiched those tanks and etc

wow, everything like has to be upgraded for special abilities =( I bet stalkers' blink ability will have to be researched as well