Queues?

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas 'why' the queue is so bad? I've seen people on blizzard.com with well over 1000+ person wait. How long will this laaast?

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
they have queues because they lowered the max amount of people per server. they didnt want everyone massing up one server while other serversdont have many people. they want people to go to different servers and spread out. they will increase the amount of the max in a few days, so dont worry. they will make ti so there wont be long queues, they just want people to spread out. :)

taken from a similar post on bnet forums

I believe this is the case:

Each "realm" or what you think of as a server is a cluster of servers, which each indviudal server in the cluster serving a single area in the world or helping to serve a single area. In this case it seems that, if for example, 3 out of 10 servers in the cluster are dedicated to serving noob zones, those 3 servers are getting massively over trafficed because the population that in a mature game would be spread over all 10 servers in the cluster is hammering only those 3. In order to stop those 3 from becoming overwhelmed and unable to server players (lag, crashes, etc) they are instituting queues. My guess is that if you were to magically have a level 40 character and log into the game world somewhere empty, like a high level area, there would be no queue, because that part of the realm cluster is unused.

As far as I guess they are readjusting the individual servers in those clusters in order to convert more of the servers that are sitting around serving level 60 zones to help share the load of serving the newbie zones.

Once the population begins to reach a broader spectrum of levels and spread out over the game world, there will no longer be such heavy demand on those 3 servers in the cluster, and so the queues will dissapear.

Now, I may have made all this up entirely, but I think thats kind of what they mean. If they would make a declarative, clear, consise statement on this point udnerstandable by non-techies it would probably help, as people are confused about what the queues are actually for.
also, from blizzard.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=8412&s=blizzard&tmp=1#blizzard

Queues are necessary at the beginning because thousands of players located in a very small area of the world (the new player areas) creates lag. As the population begins to disperse over the next few days the server caps will be increased.

We are constantly evaluating and adjusting them according to population distribution.

TheNamelessYam

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
things didnt get ugly till about 11:30 for me. actually the second i got to stormwind from ironforge, things got ugly.

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
at least you can play. im still waiting.. its been 2 hours. :O!

TheNamelessYam

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
im thinking about scraping my level 13 and moving to west, all my friends are thinking the same. that is, if lag doesnt let up anytime soon.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Yeah. I'll come too. Assuming my lag lock lets up and all these server problems. I won't cry if I have to leave my lvl 3 warlock behind =/

TheNamelessYam

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i was starting on dethecus. got a pally to level 5. however there might be a shred of hope for my druid to be playable.