Problem Installing With XP

Les Paul

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a problem installing SC on my computer. At first i thought it was just my computer but then i tried it on another with XP and its no good. It can't read Star.dat (or something like that i forget, maybe it was stardat.mpq, dont remember). Anyway I've tried all means of help there is and no luck. Maybe someone here knows?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Something similar happened to me, but I'm not sure if it's the same problem.

For some strange reason, my firewall was not allowing the CD to be read, and wasn't even asking if I wanted to read it or not.

I don't think it is the same problem, but try going to your configurations and see if you can change something there to be able to read the CD.

Sakuhta

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes you were right, it's StarDat.mpq. First just try re-installing, that seems to fix a lot of problems, then make sure you download the newest possible patch from the Blizzard website. (http://www.Blizzard.com) And try updating the game through that.

If that doesn't work, try using google or another search engine and look for the 'StarCraft hash files.' And copy them into your StarCraft folder.

If all that fails, ask a friend of yours or a BattleForums member to send you a copy of their StarCraft folder, and just put all their files over yours. It should work.

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Now that is odd. I have installed SC in 2 XP comps and they do work nicely. Maybe the problem on your side is either:
1. compatibility
2. the CD's originality

I'm no tech whiz, but I do suggest that you do check the suggestions for the possibility.

- Amantis

tank_decoy

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
It is the cd. If you ever look on cd's how they say what OS they are for, the older ones dont say XP, so either look for some kind of patch or buy a new cd, or whatever you decide to do.

Sakuhta

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tank_decoy
It is the cd. If you ever look on cd's how they say what OS they are for, the older ones dont say XP, so either look for some kind of patch or buy a new cd, or whatever you decide to do.
1) The old ones are still compatible with XP. My version is from 98.

2) You have no idea if it's the CD. You can't see it.

BUT I have some good news.

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. :p

Les Paul

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I did try to look for the hash files (wich usually come with bots) but ever since the downfall of wc2 there haven't been too many. I'll take Sakuhta's advise and ask around in different forums, starting with this one:

Would anyone be so kind as to send me their SC folder or put it on BF:)

Hm maybe I'll look into this Geico, seems to be a trend

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Its probly CD scratch.... I had mine since the game came out, and it has nothing to do with 'old ones not compatiable with XP'... my orig SC was scratched up so much, I had to buy new one last year.

tank_decoy

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
now that i think about it it most likely is a scratch, a friend of tryied to install it, but during the installation it froze in about the middle of stardat.mpq, so prob out of luck or else figure out a way to fix the cd. but mine as well re-buy the game anyway, it only like 8$ last time i look, if i remember right.

Kao

Drives an Evo IX ;)
Reaction score
Ever put tape on the cd? I accidentally did and needed to buy a new cd. I put the tape on the graphic side and took some of it off with the tape.