Hows my sig?

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
slyfie double posted by accident.

generally a comp image consists of pixels. every of these pixels contains color information (in basics). color information is made up in the RGB format, which means red green blue. a whole bunch of colors can actually be made out of only mixing red green and blue. so all of these 3 variables have one value set between 0 and 255. that is 1 byte.now in uncompressed format, i.e. BMP, every pixel color information is stored seperately. so you have to imagine the file structure like this:
pixel 1;1: Red: 124, Blue:056, Green:000
pixel 1;2: Red: 124, Blue:056, Green:000
and so on...
That's 3x1 byte = 3byte; for each pixel
now if your pic is 500x20 pixels, that is 10000 pixels. 10.000 pixels, each 3 byte is 30.000 byte. no matter if everythings black or if its very colorful. compression is a whole different thing and a lot more complicated. you can read about it on the net though, JPEG compression is open source and available to all aswell as information about how it works.

tassadar920

Member!
Reaction score
I just checked about .jpeg and .gif, both our high compression files, so if two pixels are the same color, they are both listed together. Sorta like this:

In .bmp (bitmap) the 3 top left pixels would be listed like this:

[0][0] 000 000 000
[1][0] 000 000 000
[0][1] 000 000 000

In .jpeg (JPEG) they are listed more like this:

[0][0],[1][0],[0][1] 000 000 000

saves a lot of space.

And then you can even lower or raise the .jpeg's quality (it takes each pixel and multiplies its size by .25 and deletes nearby pixels) this frees even more space. But loses major quality.

.gif is probably the coolest saving system, these ones can save multiples pictures all into one picture by giving a third number into the array. Their pixelsa re listed as:

[1](x)[0](y)[25](z(which image they are from))

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
from what i read some time ago jpeg compression is a little more complicated then an indexed color table. you can do that with bitmaps too.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Why couldn't you guys have spared the boy some confusion and just say they were compressed more?

and speaker, find more fonts, that Abbadon one that you use on EVERYTHING is teh ugly :(