Status
Not open for further replies.

Neptunez

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.3osoft.com
Disabling and Re-Enabling Windows XP's Firewall

Microsoft Windows XP comes with a firewall enabled to protect your computer as you surf the internet. However, when it comes time to do some down-and-dirty gaming across a LAN or over Battle.net or the Zone, this firewall can cause you a world of difficulty. It can be responsible for you being dropped from games, for people having trouble connecting to you for a game, or it can keep you from joining games at all.

For the best gaming experience, I suggest completely disabling Windows XP's built-in firewall.

To Disable Windows XP's Firewall:

- In Control Panel, double-click 'Networking and Internet Connections.'
- Click 'Network Connections.'
- Right-click the connection on which you would like to disable the firewall, and then click 'Properties.'
- On the 'Advanced tab,' click the box to clear the option to 'Protect my Computer or Network.'

Your firewall is now disabled.

To Re-Enable Windows XP's Firewall:

- In Control Panel, double-click 'Networking and Internet Connections.'
- Click 'Network Connections.'
- Right-click the connection on which you would like to enable the firewall.
- Click 'Properties.'
- On the 'Advanced' tab, click the box to select the option to 'Protect my Computer or Network.'

Your firewall is now enabled.

evilfrog331

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
umm thanks, but i have windows me, and that doesn't come with a built in firewall. Its a firewall on my cable modem I think. I wish I was a computer geek >.<

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by evilfrog331
umm thanks, but i have windows me, and that doesn't come with a built in firewall. Its a firewall on my cable modem I think. I wish I was a computer geek >.<
That is why we are here. :D

There is a simple way to do this. You first must gain access to your router through your computer (the box that is connected to your modem). With my router you type in 192.168.0.1 into the address bar and press ENTER to do this. Resort to the manual to find out how to access your routers configuration. Once you are in, you need to find something that will enable connections in and out of port 6112. In my router (which is a D-Link), you go to the advanced tab and click on the applications button. It should say something like special applications (if it doesn't resort to manual).

In the menu you might see something that says Battle.net. If you do see Battle.net in the list of ports that have been open or closed that says battle.net, enable the rule (since it is most likely disabled). If it doesn't then you need to make your own rules for battle.net. You would click something like new. Or type in information where it says it is needed. You will need to type in the port number, which is 6112.

Both Public and Trigger ports must be 6112. Both Trigger and Public Type should be set to "both". If there isn't a "both" option then you need to set the trigger type to both UDP and TCP. I hope this doesn't confuse you too much. You said you weren't a computer geek. :p :rollie:

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
D-Link Routers:

Type this into the adress bar: http://192.168.0.1/adv_appl.html

The default username is admin and the default password is blank. In the menu you might see something that says Battle.net. If you do see Battle.net in the list of applications that have special rules, enable the rule (since it is most likely disabled). If it isn't there then you need to make your own rules for battle.net. Type in this information into the required fields at the top:

Both Public and Trigger ports must be 6112. Both Trigger and Public Type should be set to "both". Click apply and all should be well.

If you need more help, here is d-link support site.

------------------------------------------
Linksys Routers:

Type this into the adress bar: http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm

You will be prompted for a username and password. By default there is no username, and the password is admin. Once you've gotten past the log in you should be at the filters tab. Go to the Forwarding tab, then click on the Port Triggering button. Once you've done this, a new window will appear. Type in the ports like it says in this page. Click apply and, all done!

------------------------------------------
Netgear Routers:

Type this into the adress bar: http://192.168.0.1/

Enter in admin for the username and password as the password. Under Advanced, click Port Forwarding on the left menu. From the Service & Game (or Service Name) pull down, select battle.net. Battle.net might be listed here. If battle.net does not appear in the drop down, click Add Custom Service. The start port and the end port must be set to 6112. Name it whatever you wish and click apply. The netgear tech support page was not very helpful in describing how to forward ports for battle.net but here it is.

If you have another weird router that exists, you should go to their own support site and find out how to configure your router for battle.net. The port you must open is 6112 on both UDP and TCP, remember that.

sk8nbiker321

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
fire walls arnt all that bad they prevent b.net from ip banning which is the worst ban of all bans it will say ur banned and u buy a new wc3 and ur still banned ahh that would piss me off so bad

evilfrog331

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hey thanks, just got from vacation... lol

How do I set trigger port to both UDP and TCP? It only lets me do one. Or should I make two of those things so that one is TCP and the other is UDP.

NeverGoingBack

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
in regards to sk8nbikers comment about b.net banning ur ip. there are 2 ways around this getting an ip anonymizer ( i'm not completely sure if this would do it, or simply canceling ur internet account and reordering this should change ur IP. oh and 1 more that might work would simply asking your ISP if you could change your IP.

UltimateJim

Member!
Reaction score
with some routers there is no udp/tcp, only tcp, like mine, and on some you need to actiavate 6112 AND specify and IP addy for the peeps to connect to, usually 192.168.X.X (X=number),

FuZi0N

Member!
Reaction score
when eva i disable my firewall i still cant create games,
im on a Switch not a router or anything [im sharing internet connection]

Neptunez

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.3osoft.com
this was posted last month... This could be classed as thread bumping, i'm guessing forged stuck ;)

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
No, this was stickied by Zaku by my request. Hopefully people will be able to solve their router problems with this guide. And if they don't see it then we can just redirect them to it.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by somesadsadnoob
me still cant host games omggggg i did that rouder shit and checked yes ,,,,,
If you have multiple computers playing Warcraft 3 TFT you need to use different settings. I don't want to explain as much into detail as before but I believe you have to specify a port for every computer that wants to host games. First, set one of the comps to 6112 and another to 6113. Then once you have changed the ports for WC3 TFT (yes, you do have to go into the game!!!), you can access your router settings and change the ports that are opened to 6112-6113. I am not sure if this fixes it though but you can certainly try this if you have multiple computers accessing Bnet at the same time.

Here is something from the D-link site about multiple computers accessing Bnet:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1332

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
ok, its disabled. i still cant host games. i have norton antivirus 2003 and i allowed the ports that battle.net says. how do i fix it?

Andrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
i dont have a router at all and i still cant create.. blizzard doesnt do anythign either

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by uFOO
i dont have a router at all and i still cant create.. blizzard doesnt do anythign either
If you have cable/dsl and you have multiple computers accessing the internet at the same time, then you have a router. If you don't have a router than your problem is a firewall that you have installed or that windows has put up. If you don't have a router then it is something like Norton Firewall 2003 that is causing your problem. The best way to fix this, is just to disable it before you play a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.