Hall of Strategies [DotA]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream_Walker

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Rigwarl: Bristleback

Rigwarl is a good hero from start to finish. He has nice tanking abilities, and good hero chasing skills. What I will be focusing on, is mainly hero killing, but it also pacts pushing potential. Let's review his skills:

Vicious Nasal Goo
Covers target in snot, lowering their armor and move speed. Can be stacked for 4 casts.
Level 1: -1 armor, 20% and 3% slow per cast.
Level 2: -1 armor, 20% and 6% slow per cast.
Level 3: -2 armor, 20% and 9% slow per cast.
Level 4: -2 armor, 20% and 12% slow per cast.

Summary: Ok well this skill may not look very appealing, but it is the king of the slows. Slowing them down 80% is really really nice. Just keep your finger on V and all is set.

Quill Spray
Sprays out Quills rapidly for adaquete damage.
Level 1: 3 damage per hit up close, 2 damage at range.
Level 2: 6 damage per hit up close, 4 damage at range.
Level 3: 9 damage per hit up close, 6 damage at range.
Level 4: 12 damage per hit up close, 8 damage at range.

Summary: USELESS SKILL! The only reason I would get this is if I would do a farming build, which I don't think Rigwarl needs extra farming granted his ultimate, which will be dicussed further down.

Bristleback
Since Rigwarl's back is covered in spines, it helps him stay fortefied. This skill does not reduce lethal damage [criticals, bash].
Level 1: Reduces damage by 30% from rear.
Level 2: Reduces damage by 40% from rear.
Level 3: Reduces damage by 50% from rear.
Level 4: Reduces damage by 60% from rear.

Summary: Very very nice skill, handy for tanking towers and also good for trying to get away (which shouldnt be a problem because of Vicious Nasal Goo!)

Warpath
Gives a percent chance to trigger a Frenzy.
Level 1: 10% chance to trigger.
Level 2: 20% chance to trigger.
Level 3: 30% chance to trigger.

Frenzy
150% increased attack speed, 30% increased movespeed.
Summary: I'd say one of the best ults, since it's passive. A Troll ult practically

Strategy For In-Game
Early game:
Mostly what I'd do is stay back if there is ranged heroes facing you, but if its melee you can get up in the fights. It is very important to get THE LAST HIT!!! Also, hero hunting before level 9 isn't very good, you need to creep to build your items! The reason I say before level 9 is because then you have your ult, and 2 other skills maxed out, (very handy) Also, it is nice to have a stunner partner in the lane of your choice with you, this helps with your Nasal Goo timing, and it also makes it a practically gauranteed kill. Early game shouldn't be hard, since you will have points into Bristleback.
Mid game:
This is where you shine, right at level 9! 2 skills maxed, and the trusty ult. Very handy to go hero hunting, since you can 1v1 just about any hero because of the Goo, which helps in armor reduction, and the movement speed. Very good to get the ult in there too, if you're lucky. Building the items early is also important! You want to out-dominate the other team!
Late game:
Almost no one can 1v1 you alone, 2v1 won't be hard either. You rape. You just won't die.

Skill Order:
Bristleback [I like to get the passives at level 1 because well, it's a passive!]
Goo
Bristleback
Goo
Goo
Warpath
Goo
Bristleback
Bristleback
Stats [I do not get any points into Quill Spray, I think it is useless]
Warpath
Stats
Stats
Stats
Stats
Warpath
17+: stats
22: Quill Spray [It's a must]

Item Analysis:
In the beginning game, I like to start out with a Ring of Regeneration, because it is very handy, and you can sell it later.
Ring of Regeneration
[OPTIONAL: FLASKS AND CLARITIES, ALWAYS GOOD]
Bracer
Boots
Bracer
Gloves of Haste + Treads
Boots of Quel'Thalas
Mithril Hammer
Maelstorm recipe-> [This is the main item for Rigwarl, it is very very handy for hero killing, creeping, and pushing. Also helps with double kills!]
Buriza (optional)
Satanic (lots of people get it, very good)
Battle Fury (handy for regeneration + damage bonus)

My games with Rigwarl usually have lots of kills, and few deaths. Hope this guide works out for you!
You can also visit Rigwarl's hero page to buy items and change levels.

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
Slithice: Naga Siren

Slithice is in my opinion one of the best heroes around. Her images help for later in the game and her theme is about armor piercing.
Let's take a review of her skills:

Mirror Image
Splits Slithice into many different images, dealing damage and sharing criticals.
Level 1: Creates 1 Image, deals 15% damage.
Level 2: Creates 2 Images, deals 30% damage.
Level 3: Creates 3 Images, deals 30% damage.
Level 4: Creates 3 Images, deals 45% damage.

Summary: Well this is a handy skill for escaping some spells (like Frostbite) since it negates all buffs (even Haste and Double Damage! ><)

Ensnare
Slithice creates a net and traps the targeted unit to the ground.
Level 1: Lasts 2 seconds.
Level 2: Lasts 3 seconds.
Level 3: Lasts 4 seconds.
Level 4: Lasts 5 seconds.

Summary: Very handy skill but in the same sense it isnt too great since the enemy can fight back while Ensnared.
[This is also a good trapping skill for when your enemies get too close to the tower, who knows! It might net you a kill!]

Critical Strike
Gives a percent chance to do 1.5 times normal damage on an attack. This also pierces armor, so it is very good because of how high the chance gets.
Level 1: 15% chance.
Level 2: 25% chance.
Level 3: 35% chance.
Level 4: 45% chance.

Summary: Like I said, this is arguably the best critical in the game since it goes off so damn much!

Song of the Siren
Slithice sings a song of peace and puts all enemies in a radius to sleep.
Level 1: Small area, lasts 6 seconds.
Level 2: Large area, lasts 7 seconds.
Level 3: Huge area, lasts 8 seconds.

Summary: VERY VERY HANDY! Excellent for setting up ganks or escaping them! A+!

Strategy for In-Game
Early Game:
Many people don't play Slithice because of her survivability in the early game. Like for Rigwarl, it is important to stay back most of the time and get last hits. Her criticals also aid in this process.
Mid Game:
This is where Slithice is starting to become unstoppable. It is important to get her items quite fast that way she isn't too horrible. Nice area to start using Diffusal Blade. Diffusal Blade is good for Siren because it gives her feedback, along with her Images, so they all get bonus damage as well. The Intelligence and Agility help her out tremendously.
Late Game:
Siren is almost unstoppable now, with her Manta and Image combo, not many make it out alive (unless its Centaur! :p)
[Note: To kill, use both of your Mirror Images [see Item Build] then run out towards the enemy, cast Ensnare, and rape them to bits.]

Skill Order:
Ensnare
Critical Strike
Ensnare
Critical Strike
Ensnare/Critical Strike [your choice!]
[optional (I don't usually get at level 6)] Song of the Siren
[Finish out your Level 3 skill]
[Finish out your level 2 skill]
[Finish out your level 3 skill]
Mirror Image/Song of the Siren [Level 1]
Song of the Siren
Mirror Image
Mirror Image
Mirror Image
Mirror Image
Song of the Siren
Stats [17+]

Item Analysis:
In the beginning, I like to start out with a Ring of Regeneration, since it helps Slithice survive!
Ring of Regen
[Flasks or Clarities]
1 or 2 Wraith Bands/Boots
Gloves of Haste
Treads recipe
Robe of the Magi/Blades of Alacrity [whichever you have gold for]
Diffusal recipe (yay Feedback!)
Vitality Booster
Manta Style recipe (This item gives you Mirror Image [2 extra Images that deal ~40% damage] and improves Feedback!)
Butterfly/Skadi/Both :p

My games with Slithice usually get me good kills, and few deaths. Hope this guide works out for you!
You can also visit Slithice's hero page to buy items and change levels.

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
Mortred: Phantom Assassin

~Guide by §tar§oft

Mortred is either the best or 2nd best assassin in the game, (opposed to Nerubian Assassin and Stealth Assassin)since Coup De Grace is so powerful.
Skills:

Shadow Strike
Hurls a poisoned dagger and deals damage, damage over time, and slows the enemy for a while. Lasts 15 seconds.
Level 1: 50 target damage, 10 damage every three seconds.
Level 2: 70 target damage, 20 damage every three seconds.
Level 3: 70 target damage, 40 damage every three seconds.
Level 4: 100 target damage, 50 damage every three seconds.

Summary: An okay nuke, mainly used for slowing the enemy down.

Blink Strike
"Blinks" to the target and deals bonus damage.
Level 1: Deals 30 damage, 30 second cooldown.
Level 2: Deals 60 damage, 20 second cooldown.
Level 3: Deals 90 damage, 10 second cooldown.
Level 4: Deals 120 damage, 5 second cooldown.

Summary: Awesome skill, really good for chasing and finishing off oponents. This is also good to harass with because of the 5 second cooldown at level 4, and if this is maxed at level 7, can deal a good chunk of damage to most Intelligence and Agility Heroes.

Blur
Gives Mortred a shadowy look, as well as evasion.
Level 1: 7% dodge, slight density.
Level 2: 14% dodge, even more dense.
Level 3: 21% dodge, very dense.
Level 4: 28% dodge, can see very thin traces, though not invisible.

Summary: Original skill, this is how Mortred goes unnoticed. (Until someone presses Alt :usad)

Coup de Grace
Mortred can kill heroes with a high degree critical strike.
Level 1: 15%, 2x critical.
Level 2: 15%, 3x critical.
Level 3: 15%, 4x critical.

Summary: Kick ass skill, real good late game.

Strategy for In-Game
Early Game:
Early game strategy:
5v5: Get Boots of Speed and then try and get Helm of the Dominator.
4v4: Get Boots of Speed then buy 2 wWraith Bands before getting Helm or anything else.
3v3: Boots of Bpeed, 2 Wraith Bands, Helm (or at this point I'm sure you could just get a Battlefury for health)
2v2: Boots of speed, Crystalys
1v1: Treads, Wraith Bands. (It's alot better to be fast early game than have an uber item that's useless, except in the case of the Troll Warlord)
Mid Game:
5v5: You should have or almost have Helm right now, after that get either the Battlefury or a crit strike item [Crystalys, upgrade to Buriza].
4v4: You should definitly have your Wraith Bands right now, otherwise you're screwed and will have to go to my *Emergency Plan.
3v3: Unless you're completely getting your ass kicked, you should have a Helm or the starting items for the Battlefury. After this you'll want to get the Satanic from the Helm.
2v2: After you have your BoS and Crystalys, get some Treads and a Helm or any life stealing/gaining item. [YOU NEED YOUR LIFE!]
1v1: Getting any item for your life right now is essential, you're not quite invincible yet [Don't have your Blur maxed out yet]
Late Game
All versus: Have some fun, be creative, it inspires truely great things. You're pretty much invincible with Coup de Grace maxed.

Skill Order
Blink Strike
Shadow Strike
Blink Strike
Shadow Strike
Blink Strike
Coup de Grace [DO NOT WAIT, GET IT NOW!]
Blink Strike
Blur [Handy for the dodge]
Shadow Strike
Blur
Coup de Grace [Yay, 3x critical now]
Blur
Shadow Strike
Blur
Stats
Coup de Grace [Bring it on, bitches]
Stats +

*EMERGENCY PLAN [ALL VERSUS]
If you haven't been able to buy your items, simply get as many Wraith Bands as possible along with maybe some treads, then sell them one by one for Blades of Alacrity. After you have a sufficient ammount of Blades start selling the Blades [DON'T SELL MORE THAN ONE FOR ONE ITEM!] for Ultimate Orbs.

I've used this plan a couple of times and it worked for me, but I don't know if it will work for everyone.
:yum

~Dream's Guide VV
Strategy for In-Game
Early Game
If your facing ranged, don't let it bother you so much, but if they have a nuke, it will be harder. Basically you want to get last hits [always] and sometimes Blink Strike to kill them. This helps give you money so you can afford later items.
Mid Game:
Your power starts to emerge and you should have quite a few kills already. Start pushing too, as this game isn't just about hero killing, :)
Late Game:
Pretty much unstoppable, just keep buying items and racking up kills.

Skill Order
Blur
Blink Strike
Blur
Blink Strike
Blink Strike
Coup de Grace
Blink Strike
Blur
Blur
Shadow Strike
Coup de Grace
Shadow Strike
Shadow Strike
Shadow Strike
Stats
Coup de Grace
Stats +

Item Analysis:
Boots of Speed
Ring of Health
Void Stone
1-2 Wraith Bands
Gloves of Haste
Treads recipe
Claymore/Mithril Hammer
Mithril Hammer/Claymore
Work on Sange and Yasha
Work on Eaglehorn
Work on MKB
You can also visit Mortred's hero page to buy items and change levels.

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
Abbadon: Lord of Avernus

Abbadon is a great hero to harass and tank with, and many people underestimate his tanking abilities. Skills:

Aphotic Shield
Absorbs a certain amount damage for 20 seconds. Once it hits the maximum variable, it will deal the number of damage absorbed in an ~300 area of effect. If this ability is casted during Borrowed Time, it will heal you. When cast, it will remove most negative buffs.
Level 1: Absorbs 100 damage.
Level 2: Absorbs 150 damage.
Level 3: Absorbs 200 damage.
Level 4: Absorbs 250 damage.

Summary: It is great for running away when Borrowed Time is not charged. Good skill. Or, this can be used in conjunction with Borrowed Time to heal you for ~250 hit points.

Mark of the Abyss
Marks a unit for 20 seconds, and every unit who attacks it will gain an increase in attack speed and +10% movement speed.
Level 1: Gains 15% increased attack speed.
Level 2: Gains 30% increased attack speed.
Level 3: Gains 45% increased attack speed.
Level 4: Gains 60% increased attack speed.

Summary: This is great for when you are chasing someone, because the increase in movement speed really helps in conjunction with your quite low movement speed. Sometimes in early game I like to use it on the enemy creeps so I can farm better, but that is just what I prefer. It is also good when facing heroes such as the Lifestealer (N'aix) or many image creating heroes, such as Naga Siren (Slithice) and Chaos Knight (Nessaj), because if you cast it on N'aix before he turns on Rage, Mark of the Abyss will not dispel. Also, if you cast it on Slithice and Nessaj before they use Mirror Image, Mark of the Abyss will not dispel which in turns provide vision of the true target instead of picking through images and hoping you get the right one :).

Frostmourne
Empowers the sword with chilling powers, reducing movement speed and attack speed.
Level 1: Reduces speeds by 7%.
Level 2: Reduces speeds by 14%.
Level 3: Reduces speeds by 21%.
Level 4: Reduces speeds by 28%.

Summary: It seems a bit under-par to me, but with Mark of the Abyss it should fair well.

Borrowed Time
When Abbadon drops below 400 hit points, he will stop taking damage for a short duration. Can only go off once every minute. This skill can also be activated manually as of 6.29b, but it will passively go off when you are below 400 hit points. When this is cast, most negative buffs will be removed.
Level 1: Lasts 3 seconds.
Level 2: Lasts 4 seconds.
Level 3: Lasts 5 seconds.

Summary: Awesome skill, and it is kind of annoying to face. However, once this is activated, you are not invulnerable. Such ultimates as Culling Blade (Axe) and [I think] Reaper's Scythe (Necrolyte) will bypass it. However, this can be used as a healing spell too. Once this is activated and you cast Aphotic Shield on yourself, you will be healed for ~250 hit points over time [enemy creeps must attack you to 'heal' you].

Strategy for In-Game
Early Game:
Well since Aphotic Shield is your friend, you can survive early game without much problems. But be sure to do some farming, for it is essential! A good way to enhance this is to cast Aphotic Shield on allies if they are about to die if you are not soloing a lane. Because chances are the damage reflected could kill the enemy hero. Or, you can cast it on creeps, since if the damage reflected kills something, it is your gold. A good way to harass without using yourself as the target.
Mid Game:
This is where Abbadon shines!! Gogo mid game dominace. Be sure to get the items here that way you will not struggle in the end game! It is good to help out allies by casting Mark of the Abyss to help out with the attack and movespeed boost, or you can use it to your own advantage and rape them.
Late Game:
Abbadon loses only some of his power, but he still packs a powerful punch. Killing won't be so hard still because of Frostmourne and Mark of the Abyss. You should have a great amount of hit points by now, and be really effective in tanking using Borrowed Time + Aphotic Shield to tank/heal.

Skill Order
Aphotic Shield
Frostmourne
Aphotic Shield
Frostmourne
Aphotic Shield/Frostmourne [If you're facing nukers, it'd be wise to get Aphotic Shield, but if not then by all means get Frostmourne!]
Borrowed Time
Aphotic Shield
Aphotic Shield [Only if you got Frostmourne at level 5]
Frostmourne
Frostmourne [Only if you got Aphotic Shield at level 5]
Mark of the Abyss
Borrowed Time
Mark of the Abyss
Mark of the Abyss
Mark of the Abyss
Stats
Borrowed Time
Stats+

Item Analysis
If you randomed, you will have enough money for 2 Gaunlets of Ogre Strength and 2 Circlets of Nobility; if not then you should get 2 Gaunlets of Ogre Strength
2 Gauntlets, 1 Circlet
Finish out 2 Bracers
Boots of Speed [Some argue that Boots of Travel is better but I like to get treads]
Gloves of Haste/nothing (BoT route)
Treads recipe
Boots of Travel recipe
Work on Sange and Yasha. In my opinion, I think it is better to get Yasha first, because of the movement speed bonus it grants (although it is only 5%, every little bit helps!), but if you go Sange, it is also a good decision, just that I prefer Yasha. (Since his slow is a bit weak, the Maim is good [Reduces attack and movement speed by 35% for 6 seconds.])
-Your choice-
You can also visit Abbadon's hero page to buy items and change levels.

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
Sudden Death: Soul Keeper
This build purely exploits the cheapness of Terrorblade, the Soul Keeper. If you can farm up the required items, i can gaurentee this build will not let you down for happiness! Skills:

Soul Steal
Absorbs the life escence of the targeted unit, draining hit points over 8 seconds.
Level 1: Absorbs 20 hit points per second.
Level 2: Absorbs 40 hit points per second.
Level 3: Absorbs 60 hit points per second.
Level 4: Absorbs 80 hit points per second.

Summary: Awesome skill, good for keeping Terrorblade in the lane as long as possible! However, many newbs try to cast this on Heroes, and it is easily countered that way because anyone who is smart will run off to cancel it. I highly suggest casting it on either Ghouls or Treants because they have plenty of hit points, and are melee. I do not suggest casting this on Necromancers or Druids of the Talon because that will put you closer to the enemy Hero, and will most likely be harassed.

Conjure Image
Creates images of Terrorblade to act as decoys. All images take 300% normal damage and last for 30 seconds.
Level 1: Images deal 25% damage.
Level 2: Images deal 35% damage.
Level 3: Images deal 45% damage.
Level 4: Images deal 55% damage.

Summary: Awesome for farming, and great for hero killing. A good trick to do is use this in conjunction with Metamorphosis, so that your images become ranged also. You can easily get up to about 3 images without having to use Manta Style (produces 2 extra Illusions). Also is good for assaulting a tower.

Metamorphosis
Transforms Terrorblade into a powerful demon with a ranged attack and bonus hit points.
Level 1: Lasts 30 seconds.
Level 2: Lasts 40 seconds, has 50 bonus hit points.
Level 3: Lasts 50 seconds, has 100 bonus hit points.
Level 4: Lasts 60 seconds, has 150 bonus hit points.

Summary: Use this when farming in conjunction with Conjure Image to make your images ranged!! Terrorblade in Metamorphosis form has a 550 attack range.

Sunder
Swaps the life % of your hero with the targeted hero's hit points. Has a 250 cast range. You cannot directly kill someone with this skill.
Level 1: Targeted hero cannot go below 33% health.
Level 2: Targeted hero cannot go below 28% health.
Level 3: Targeted hero cannot go below 23% health.

Summary: This skill is good for 2v1's, and also to save an ally!

Strategy for In-Game
Early Game:
You want to stay in the lane as long as possible, and putting points into Soul Steal will help greatly. Also you want to gain last hits on creeps, since your life isnt too pretty :(. If you can farm over 3000 gold, your job is well done!!
Mid Game:
You can now insta kill. To do, you simply charge at Roshan, run around until your about 150-200 life, and then run up to a full hit point hero, Sunder them, and then Dagon them. Ding! $$!! It will surely piss off your opponents :p Also you want to farm money for Lothars, so it makes your attack all that much better!
Late Game:
Basically you just want to work towards Eye of Skadi, or a Butterfly.

Skill Order
The skill order for this build of Terrorblade might seem out of the ordinary, but it packs a powerful punch!
Soul Steal
Att Bonus
Soul Steal
Att Bonus
Soul Steal
Sunder
Att Bonus
Soul Steal
Att Bonus
You are now level 9, and by the looks of the game you can either get more of the Att Bonus, or Metamorphosis, or Conjure Image for farming.
Your choice
Sunder
Your choice
Your choice
Your choice
Your choice
Sunder
Your choice
Your choice

Item Analysis
1v1 games:Purchase Dagon from the 3200/3500 gold that you have. If you randomed and got Soul Keeper, buy a Boots of Speed too.
Everything else:
Boots of Speed
1-2 Wraith Bands
Dagon [to level it or not? your choice!]
Blade of Alacrity
Claymore
Lothar's Recipe
Eye of Skadi/Butterfly

Thats pretty much how i play the Sudden Death Soul Keeper build. Hope this guide works out for you!
You can also visit Terrorblade's hero page to buy items and change levels.
PS: I was also good enough to get a replay of this action. Although it was only 1v1, it is basically what you should be doing for any kind of match.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Banehollow: Lycanthrope
Every game needs at least a wolf man to screw people over. Especially when properly exploited, Lycan can be one of the most deveastating strength heroes in DotA. Skills:

Summon Wolves
Summons 2 Spirit Wolves to fight the Lycanthrope's enemies.
Lasts 45 seconds.
Level 1: Summons 2 weak wolves.
Level 2: Summons 2 wolves that have Critical Strike.
Level 3: Each wolf has Bash and Critical Strike.
Level 4: Each wolf has Bash, Critical Strike, and Permenant Invisibility.

Summary: Awesome for farming since you have 2 extra units to defend yourself with. However, until they reach level 3. They won't be very helpful in taking out heroes. Bash just screws people early on, allowing you to swarm with the creeps, your wolves and Lycan to take down one unit :).

Howl
An eerie howl grants an inner strength to all nearby friendly units.
Lasts 20 seconds.
Level 1: Adds 8% damage.
Level 2: Adds 16% damage.
Level 3: Adds 24% damage.
Level 4: Adds 32% damage.

Summary: Use this spell when you want to push with your allies or add some punch to your attacks when you want to take on a hero. Don't waste the mana on just yourself!!

Feral Heart
Increases the movement speed and attack speed of the Lycanthrope.
Level 1: 3% movement, 15% attack.
Level 2: 6% movement, 19% attack.
Level 3: 9% movement, 23% attack.
Level 4: 12% movement, 27% attack.

Summary: This passive will help you escape and do more damage. This will have more impressive results when you turn into a wolf, since your speeds are increased dramatically. This is a pretty nasty passive considering Lycan is a strength hero.

Shapeshift
A Full Moon curdles the blood of the Lycanthropy. He transforms into a Wolf with extra damage, hit points, Critical Strike, and bonus movement and attack speeds.
Level 1: 100 bonus hit points, lasts 40 seconds.
Level 2: 200 bonus hit points, lasts 50 seconds.
Level 3: 300 bonus hit points, lasts 60 seconds.

Summary: Nasty ultimate. Because with the help of movement speed items, you can make your wolf run at 470+ ms. Allowing you chase down enemies or escape. Also, the critical strike ability will save you money on getting Buriza (unless you want to get crits for normal form or just damage +).

Strategy for In-Game
Early Game:
Use your wolves in conjunction with your Lycan do farm and keep enemy heroes at bay. After they get Bash, then start going for heroes more often. Research the passive ability with it.
Mid Game:
By now, you should have Lvl 1-2 Shapeshift with some form of maiming or bashing items. This will allow you to make full use of the wolf form. If you plan on pushing, activate Howl when enemies start coming. 20% more damage can help even the odds.
Late Game:
Considering getting an Aegis if there are strength heroes or agi heroes that are giving you a problem. Most ints should be no trouble for you if you have 3000+ life or so.

Skill Order
The skill order is pretty obvious, just be careful not to die.

Wolves
Heart
Wolves
Heart
Wolves (now they got bash)
Shapeshift
Heart or Wolves
Heart or Wolves
Howl
Shapeshift
Howl
Howl
Howl
Rest in Attribute Bonus!

Item Analysis
If you are going 1on1 with an opponent. Stat items (Bracers) are key to starting off Lycan. You should have enough for 2, which will give him a good hit point count to start the match.

Other items to consider:
Sange/Yasha - Maiming just kills when you are chasing down opponents
Heart of Torrasque - Hit point bonus and also does more damage
Cranium Basher - Lycan's "favorite" item. Stunning + maiming = gg runners.
Power Treads/Boots of Travel - Helps increase movement speed when you are chasing down opponents or going from point A to point B
Black King Bar or Linkens - In case magic gets a little too "out of hand"
Monkey King Bar - More damage + anti-caster weaponry (if they channel)
Satanic or MoM - Life leech, but will cause S/Y to not work
Aegis of the Immortal - Recommended for late game battles (you need that bonus armor)

If you are really good you can get Divine Rapier to increase his damage potential, just don't die :(. Mix around these items to optimize the performance of Lycan.

Thats pretty much how i play Lycan. But there are other ways to play him, I leave that for you to discover on your own. Hope this guide works out for you!
You can also visit Lycan's hero page to buy items and change levels.

This is what can happen if you use the items I say and do the strategies I do (although it was a hard game).

Dream_Walker

Reaction score
Mercurial: Avatar of Vengeance
Mercurial is a hero that not many DotA players know how to play adeptly. She can be one kick ass hero, and I'm going to show you how to do it! Skills:

Phase
Activate Phase to move faster and have zero collision size.
Level 1: Moves 4% faster, lasts 10 seconds.
Level 2: Moves 8% faster, lasts 15 seconds.
Level 3: Moves 12% faster, lasts 20 seconds.
Level 4: Moves 16% faster, lasts 25 seconds.

Summary: Abuse this skill. Do it. It owns so much in escaping, and can even screw over enemies. Also, it can help A LOT when you are trying to manuver to an enemy or location very quickly.

Haunt
Haunt a Hero to create Illusions of yourself every 5-6 seconds. If the Illusions gain a successful attack [they sometimes might, because running in the opposite direction that the Illusions appear in owns them so they cannot catch up to hit you], the Hero will be 'paused' for a short duration of about 0.5-1 second. If Mercurial cannot be seen, the Illusions gain an additional attack [2 total]. However, Agility increasing items such as Butterfly will enable the Illusions to have more hits, such as 3 or 4.
Level 1: Haunts the target 3 times.
Level 2: Haunts the target 4 times.
Level 3: Haunts the target 5 times.
Level 4: Haunts the target 5 times, and gains Reality.

Reality
Makes the next occurance of Haunt cancel the Illusion, in its stead you appear. When this skill is activated, it cancels all other future Haunts [not for the rest of the game, but for the rest of the spell].
Summary: This skill is okay when you are killing Heroes. This is because of the 'pause' it gives, which can cancel ultimates and such. Also great for getting First Blood, but remember if they are low on life, it is good to remain unseen or in the woods. If you think the Hero may not die, just use Reality. I really don't use Reality that much.

Dispersion
Mercurial has a chance to avoid damage and reflect it in a 400 area of effect around her. However, Mercurial cannot Disperse more than the amount of maximum hit points she currently has.
Level 1: 4% chance to occur.
Level 2: 8% chance to occur.
Level 3: 12% chance to occur.
Level 4: 16% chance to occur.

Summary: Wow. This skill totally rocks when you are chasing Heroes, and have masses of creeps around. The reason for that is because when this activates, everyone in the 400 area of effect is stunned, or interupted for a short duration. Thus, you can catch up to them very quickly, and get hits on them. This coupled with the pauses of Haunt just make Mercurial that much more deadlier. This skill is also great for fighting enemies 1v1, because the damage reflected goes only to that one Hero, and not everybody around her. This is the reason people may think that Dispersion 'does no damage', but it actually does. Also they would say it 'does no damage' because the creep who damaged you probly isn't doing that much damage in the first place! Further in this guide, there is a replay I have gotten of this working out extremeley well.
However, Mercurial cannot Disperse more than the amount of maximum hit points she has.
For example, Mercurial cannot Disperse a 1250 Laguna Blade if she only has around 1000 life. If this was possible, it would be completely imbalanced.

Vengeance
Whenever an ally in a 1000 area of effect around you dies, release a dark energy to target a random enemy, and damage them. Also stuns for a very short duration. Gains the ability Direct Vengeance.
Level 1: Deals 50 damage per dying creep, 200 damage per dying Hero.
Level 2: Deals 75 damage per dying creep, 250 damage per dying Hero.
Level 3: Deals 100 damage per dying creep, 300 damage per dying Hero.

Direct Vengeance
Directs all of the dark energy released from Vengeance to the target of Direct Vengeance. Lasts for 30 seconds.
Summary: This is an okay skill, but it is a little bugged. If you have Vengeance learned, you basically cannot deny creeps anymore, or Vengeance's dark energy will not activate for some reason. Other than that, it is decent for farming. This skill I assume would work well against Freezing Field in a team battle because you could easily use Direct Vengeance on her, and she will take lots of damage from the creeps and Heroes she would possibly kill. On the other hand, Dispersion, Haunt, and Vengeance all interupt, so it may not work to your advantage.

Strategy for In-Game
Early Game:
It is very important that you try your best to get bottom solo on Sentinel, or top solo on Scourge. This way, you get all of the experience from killing enemies, unless the enemy denies very well. Also, it is good to deny creeps before you achieve level 6, when it isn't useful because of Vengeance. If you feel like you are going to be ganked, by all means back off, and if it does happen, just use Phase. A good Avatar of Vengeance player should not die often because of the ability to use Phase properly and efficiently. Use Haunt to your advantage too, because most of the time enemies will back off, allowing you to be unharmed or harassed. If they do fail to back off, just run into the trees, or into an area where you cannot be seen, to amplify the effects of Haunt. That will most likely make them back off.
Mid Game:
It is important to obtain your items very quickly, so you can shine very well in the middle of the game. This is where the power of Mercurial starts to emerge, and if you have trouble sprouting this power, just wait until late game, where you most definately should own. Good luck, and remember, use and abuse Phase! :)
Late Game:
By now you should have most of the following items mentioned in this guide, but feel free to explore and try new strategies. Because, in all honesty, I doubt this guide would work for all players, but it has worked numerous times for me. It is also a good idea to use Haunt while you are killing off Heroes, because of the pause effect it gives. If they still run, try to activate Phase and catch up to them, or just use Reality. Then, if you are close enough, Dispersion's mini-stun effect should absolutely own their ass.

Skill Order
In my opinion, the following skill order is what works best from my experience, but a few differs in the order should not hurt you to a point where you cannot compete.
Dispersion
Haunt
Dispersion
Haunt
Phase [You should get this only for the zero collision size provided, to escape ganks easily. But, if you feel the need to do so, get it earlier if you want, or later.]
Vengeance
Dispersion
Dispersion
Haunt
Phase
Vengeance
Phase
Phase
Attribute Bonus
Attribute Bonus
Vengeance
17-24 Attribute Bonus
Haunt [You can swap this with Attribute Bonus, but since I don't really use Reality, I have no need of leveling Haunt past 3 for a while]

Item Analysis
Ring of Regeneration
Circlet of Nobility
Circlet of Nobility
Ring of Health [get this immediately so nukers do not create a problem against you]
Boots of Speed
Gloves of Haste
Treads Recipe
Gauntlets of Ogre Strength
Mithril Hammer
Cranium Basher Recipe
Void Stone [Perseverence is formed]
Mithril Hammer/Claymore
Claymore/Mithril Hammer [Battle Fury is formed]
Gauntlets of Ogre Strength
Mithril Hammer
Cranium Basher Recipe
Mask of Death
Helm of Iron Will [Helm of the Dominator is formed]
M. Reaver
Satanic Recipe
Your choice on items, most of my games end before Satanic is formed.

My games with Mercurial do not have many deaths, but in one game i did pretty bad :(. A guest appearance of Trojan is in 2/3 of my games too. If not obvious, I have gathered 3 replays of Mercurial being played by me, using my style. I have used -csboardon in all of them, so you can keep track of how i farm.
Mercurial 1: Just some decent Mercurial ownage! You can watch how I assassinate Razor throughout the whole game.
Mercurial 2: A little late into the replay, i escape a Shadow Assassin through Phasing through the treeline on the left side of the Sentinel base [the trees to the left of the top lane]. GG SA!
Mercurial 3: You can watch at the 25 minute mark how Dispersion completely owns the Lich.
Mercurial 4: This is a non -sm game which went pretty decent, although they were kinda newbish.
You can also visit Mercurial's hero page to buy items and change levels.

And on that note, have fun playing Mercurial!

Status
Not open for further replies.